Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Front Cat Replacement Pipe Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 11:46 AM
fadedsc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Cat Replacement Pipe Aftermarket?

I just installed my Exhaust system on my SC300, It's a Fujitsubo Legalis-R Cat back exhaust system. I made a 2 3/4'' inch Pipe to delete the Rear Cat. I made it easy so when it's time to smog again I can remove it and bolt it back to stock exhaust system.

Regarding the Front Cat Converter, Is there a aftermaket high flow cat converter that bolts into the stock location? I know the front Cat Converter bridges two ways before the Pre Cat into two exhaust manifold.

Any advices appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the install.

Old 04-18-15, 12:48 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Welcome and nice car!

There is no NA high flow front cat aftermarket bolt-in replacement pipe that I am aware of (hardly a point to it). There is the MVP Motorsports (aka Xerd) Header for 92-97 NA 2JZ-GE's which is still a marginal improvement over stock and will shift the effective power band up higher in the rev range at the expense of some low end torque.

Usually what is done with that solution is to run the MVP header (which requires two screw-in Bosch O2 sensors) and run an aftermarket high-flow cat in the #2 location.

Do not expect big horsepower gains though. On a fully stock engine with stock ECU running pump premium perhaps 10-15 horsepower at best.

Of course, be careful about this in CA. The #2 OEM cat (including the 1-2 aftermarket bolt-in replacements available) is the most expensive of the two to replace just for reference.
Old 04-18-15, 02:12 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a non vvti in Texas and I too plan to get a header set so I presume that a 93-97 supra 2jzge application will suffice??
In addition to the first cat near the header is another cat located down stream?

The fujitsubo exhaust seems like a quality piece to youthink you saved money over a custom unit?
Old 04-19-15, 01:09 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXOWINO
I own a non vvti in Texas and I too plan to get a header set so I presume that a 93-97 supra 2jzge application will suffice??
In addition to the first cat near the header is another cat located down stream?

The fujitsubo exhaust seems like a quality piece to youthink you saved money over a custom unit?
The MVP Motorsports (aka Xerd) 92-97 2JZ-GE header should fit just the same for 93-97 Supra NA's as well as 92-97 SC300's. If there are others I assume the same is true.

It's the #2 cat center sections that are different lengths between the MKIV and SC chassis, owing to their different wheelbases.

Yes, all SC300's (and MKIV Supras) have two cats: the #1 is bolted to the factory header and the #2 is a center exhaust section with a sharp bend embedded IN the second cat housing. The #1 cat heats up faster upon cold startup but at operating temperature they are both working.

Note that for both the SC300 and MKIV NA:

Federal 49-State cars from 92-95 (and possibly OBD2 96-97 cars.. can't remember) have only two O2 sensors: one before and one after the #1 cat.

California 50-State cars from 92-97 have three O2 sensors: the first two as described and then a third O2 sensor embedded into the #2 cat housing.
Old 04-22-15, 02:14 PM
fadedsc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The MVP Motorsports (aka Xerd) 92-97 2JZ-GE header should fit just the same for 93-97 Supra NA's as well as 92-97 SC300's. If there are others I assume the same is true.

It's the #2 cat center sections that are different lengths between the MKIV and SC chassis, owing to their different wheelbases.

Yes, all SC300's (and MKIV Supras) have two cats: the #1 is bolted to the factory header and the #2 is a center exhaust section with a sharp bend embedded IN the second cat housing. The #1 cat heats up faster upon cold startup but at operating temperature they are both working.

Note that for both the SC300 and MKIV NA:

Federal 49-State cars from 92-95 (and possibly OBD2 96-97 cars.. can't remember) have only two O2 sensors: one before and one after the #1 cat.

California 50-State cars from 92-97 have three O2 sensors: the first two as described and then a third O2 sensor embedded into the #2 cat housing.
Awesome, thanks for the information.
Old 04-22-15, 07:33 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this time Ived decided against an exhaust since i only want to do it once.
I also appreciate the info on it. I may decide on obxr header set off amazon however i would also need the cat new O2 sensors and resonators and twin mufflers. Thanks
Old 04-23-15, 12:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you want to run a header on a n/a it is simple.

lets break it down into 3 parts for a n/a.
the header which has the main cats
the midpipe which has the secondary cat
and the rear section which bolts to the midpipe and has the cans.

you need a 2jzge aftermarket header for a supra which replaces the stock header and main cats, this will bolt up to the stock midpipe.

you can also replace the midpipe with an aftermarket 3" unit from a single turbo usdm supra, it replaces our factory midpipe perfectly and once again has no cats on it.

the rear section is specific to the SC, and your current stock rear will bolt to either of the midpipes, or a sc300 catback will bolt to either of the midpipes as well. some catbacks include the "midpipe" technically speaking but you don't have to replace all the pieces together from on kit each piece has aftermarket options as the aftermarket options retain the factory bolting points.

you can't use a supra rear section cause its too short. you can if you are willing to extend it and usually also means pounding on the drivers side of the spare tire area on a sc300 with your favorite BFH to clear the last bend. this is why most just use the rear portion designed for a sc300 or just fab one up.

to get the cat's back into play with a header or turbo, I have had good results with sticking a cat or 2 on the midpipe, one can fit where the old secondary one was, or further up closer to the downpipe if you want to have 2 to keep it more like original. I wouldn't bother putting ones on the header like stock they will be a pain to remove or access later.

what I would suggest is doing the supra header and single turbo midpipe, and leave the stock catback as the stock catback is a 2 piece unit that actually flows well enough for a small turbo believe it or not.
also then you will loose the cats so have one or two universal 3" magnaflow cats welded on the midpipe, any exhaust shop can knock that out for like an hours labor since the pipes are already made its just a cut out and weld cat in type of affair.
the car will have a much more free flowing exhaust this way, and you will probably want to do the catback also later, it never ends =)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-23-15 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 12:36 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Mmm look at that 80's Ferrari...