Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 SC400 NA Performance upgrade 200whp

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 10:34 AM
Durvelle27
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 SC400 NA Performance upgrade 200whp

Is it possible to get 200wHP out of a NA SC400 91UZ-FE) ? I haven't done any mods as of yet so it's completely stock. Also anyone know of some good sites where i can buy parts from for the 1UZ-FE as i can't find any. Thanks for any help in advance
Old 03-12-15, 10:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't know about whp exactly on those but its a v8 start with intake and exhaust.
There is not a crazy amount of aftermarket support for the 1UZ as there is the 2JZ, but if you look around and do your research there are lots of things you can do depending on your skill level, time, and of course cost$$.

look up the "BFI" mod. it will show you how to make your factory air intake more efficient and give you more power, after that look to open up the exhaust some. Do not just stick a cone filter on your 1uz and take in hot engine bay air, the stock setup is a cold air intake that takes air from the fender, the BFI keeps this but makes it larger so you can pull in more air, and thats the only way it will feel better than stock is more cold air, not more hotter air.

good luck and search on here and Lextreme has alot of valuable info just on V8's (sc400, ls400 etc..) but some of that can be a little outdated. I personally would do intake, exhaust, and throw a 5 speed on it.
And of course, if the miles have been racking up, its always a good idea to do an ignition refresh on these, new caps, rotors, wires and plugs can go a long way.
Old 03-12-15, 11:06 AM
Durvelle27
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I don't know about whp exactly on those but its a v8 start with intake and exhaust.
There is not a crazy amount of aftermarket support for the 1UZ as there is the 2JZ, but if you look around and do your research there are lots of things you can do depending on your skill level, time, and of course cost$$.

look up the "BFI" mod. it will show you how to make your factory air intake more efficient and give you more power, after that look to open up the exhaust some. Do not just stick a cone filter on your 1uz and take in hot engine bay air, the stock setup is a cold air intake that takes air from the fender, the BFI keeps this but makes it larger so you can pull in more air, and thats the only way it will feel better than stock is more cold air, not more hotter air.

good luck and search on here and Lextreme has alot of valuable info just on V8's (sc400, ls400 etc..) but some of that can be a little outdated. I personally would do intake, exhaust, and throw a 5 speed on it.
And of course, if the miles have been racking up, its always a good idea to do an ignition refresh on these, new caps, rotors, wires and plugs can go a long way.
Should have added this forgot about it. The cats are gutted and stock mufflers were removed. Will be removing y-pipe for a x-pipe. I saw a few articles on BFI but many weren't detailed. Also i rather stay with an auto until i learn how to drive manual. Don't want to do a swap to only burn out the clutch and keep having to replace it.

Thanks for the helpful info nonetheless
Old 03-13-15, 10:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah no problem, the manual is more what I would do it makes the car feel alot peppier but everyone had their own preferences. thats good you started on the exhaust already, although I do support keeping some kind of cat on there it is getting warmer around here you know.

the BFI is not that complicated, you basically open up the front and then use that abs plastic to cover it from the top and sides so it will draw air from under the headlight which has access to cool air from the front of the bumper on the passenger side. you can see that the stock airbox has a small plastic snorkel going to this area, but its just not large enough for getting your max power potential.

you prob wouldn't burn out the clutch, it only takes a couple days to get the hang of it. I bought a 93 240sx that was my first manual car, and by the end of day 1 I was driving it everywhere, and it had an old clutch. before that I has only ever tried it 2 times and It never went smoothly cause it was someone else car. when you try it on your own car and especially with a patient teacher (emphasis on patient), it seems to go much quicker.

also look into suspension and maintenance on these cars. often the power steering rack bushings need changing (if there is any play in the steering wheel), lower control arm bushings (if you hear clunking while turning or shifting into reverse on incline all are signs). those are the 2 big ones. also look into the suspension section if you are looking to lower the car there are lots of options. good luck and enjoy!
Old 03-13-15, 12:13 PM
Durvelle27
Driver

yeah no problem, the manual is more what I would do it makes the car feel alot peppier but everyone had their own preferences. thats good you started on the exhaust already, although I do support keeping some kind of cat on there it is getting warmer around here you know.

the BFI is not that complicated, you basically open up the front and then use that abs plastic to cover it from the top and sides so it will draw air from under the headlight which has access to cool air from the front of the bumper on the passenger side. you can see that the stock airbox has a small plastic snorkel going to this area, but its just not large enough for getting your max power potential.

you prob wouldn't burn out the clutch, it only takes a couple days to get the hang of it. I bought a 93 240sx that was my first manual car, and by the end of day 1 I was driving it everywhere, and it had an old clutch. before that I has only ever tried it 2 times and It never went smoothly cause it was someone else car. when you try it on your own car and especially with a patient teacher (emphasis on patient), it seems to go much quicker.

also look into suspension and maintenance on these cars. often the power steering rack bushings need changing (if there is any play in the steering wheel), lower control arm bushings (if you hear clunking while turning or shifting into reverse on incline all are signs). those are the 2 big ones. also look into the suspension section if you are looking to lower the car there are lots of options. good luck and enjoy!
i didn't mind losing cats as we no longer have emissions here where i live.

i just did half a BFI by drilling 3x 3" holes into the front of the airbox but i haven't sealed it off. What's the ABS plastic you speak of

No play as of yet and no clunking or noises. I just replaced the shocks/struts 2 days ago and i do intend to lower it about 1.5".

Thanks again
Old 03-13-15, 02:59 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

its like black sheets of plastic you can get at the hardware or craft stores. easy to trim and heat resistant.
if you looked through the BFI threads you cannot miss the pictures of it.
Old 03-13-15, 03:08 PM
Durvelle27
Driver

its like black sheets of plastic you can get at the hardware or craft stores. easy to trim and heat resistant.
if you looked through the BFI threads you cannot miss the pictures of it.
Oh i know now. What about where to draw air from
Old 03-17-15, 08:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I am guessing you haven't gone out and looked at the airbox yet? give it a look over and you will get it.
There are around 3 large holes in the metal frame underneath the headlight, it draws air from there, I described it above.
Old 03-18-15, 09:34 AM
Durvelle27
Driver

I am guessing you haven't gone out and looked at the airbox yet? give it a look over and you will get it.
There are around 3 large holes in the metal frame underneath the headlight, it draws air from there, I described it above.
Thanks i ended up figuring it out
Old 03-22-15, 01:38 PM
Durvelle27
Driver

So far i've done the BFI mod and changed exhaust