Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ever happened to anyone before? Transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 07:31 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever happened to anyone before? Transmission issue?

So yesterday morning, it was kind of chilly out here in central florida. I started my auto 95 sc400, put it in drive in my driveway (was parked backwards) and proceeded to drive down the drive way. The car wasn't warmed up as it was just started. Driving down the road, I realized it was doing something wrong when the throttle wasn't really responding and it sounded pretty rough. When I'd get up around 15 mph, it sounded even worse so I just let off the gas. Put it in park, then back in drive, and it did the same thing. So I was coasting at probably 10-15mph, put it in neutral, then back in drive and it fixed itself. Drove normal for the rest of the day and hasn't happened again since. Hopefully that's not too choppy or confusing haha. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I swear the car was actually in drive, not one of the lower gear settings lol.

One other thing I've noticed, no point to make another thread. Is it normal to here a clinging noise (I guess you can call it that?) when decelerating? It's more noticeable over bumpy roads with the radio off of course. Can try to make a video if anyone has an idea of what it could be, or if it's normal, then okay.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-15, 08:06 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heard it was a bit cold in Florida -15 Up here My 96 S400 always does that when it's cold, so I start it & let it warm up before driving ,then it doesn't do that.
Old 02-19-15, 11:01 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

oh boy, people talking about cold weather, chicago had a record low since 1936 of 6 degrees high, and -30 windchill. good times lol. transmission was so cold, when i put it in drive, literally took 6 seconds to get into gear. absolutely insane.
Old 02-20-15, 06:19 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Hahahaha alright thanks guys, guess it was just from the cold
Old 02-21-15, 06:13 AM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a 95 sc400 in O-town! I had a similar problem. Car was out of service for about 2 months. I finally dropped the pan, changed the fitler and dumped some amsoil, it is read y to ride and shifts better than ever. Try it!
Old 02-21-15, 12:10 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc4hunnit
I too have a 95 sc400 in O-town! I had a similar problem. Car was out of service for about 2 months. I finally dropped the pan, changed the fitler and dumped some amsoil, it is read y to ride and shifts better than ever. Try it!
I'll look into it, thanks! I've seen a few sc's driving around East orlando, idk if I've seen you though haha
Old 02-26-15, 08:33 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Happened again yesterday and it wasn't cold old out. And I've never sat in the car and waited for it to warm up before driving so this is definitely new. Today when I was leaving the parking garage, i started the car and there a very noticeable humming noise while it was in park, even louder listening from the outside. I put my ear next to the shifter and I'm pretty sure it was coming from underneath of it. Tried recording it but my phone didn't record I guess..... I waited for it to stop before putting it in drive and shifted really hard going from park to drive, which it's been randomly doing lately. And when it goes into drive like that, it's almost a sure sign that it's going to roughly/jerkily (?) shift through gears while driving.

I don't remember if I asked this here or somewhere else, but can the ecu cause transmission errors/flaws?

Just thought I'd post in here again since the humming noise happened today