Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400. Need help! Crank will not turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 11:41 AM
XCROSS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400. Need help! Crank will not turn over.

Hey guys. I'm in need of help! I just changed my alternator and I had to remove the power steering pump pulley to get it out. But before I did, I removed this metal stick right next to the alternator hoping that it would have enough clearance to pull The alternator out. While I was removing it, it had a metal lever inside. It was really hard to push up. Like no joke, I couldn't put the thing back in because that metal lever inside wouldn't let me. I eventually used longer screws to screw is back in slowly and installed the correct screws one by one. Now the car won't crank over. I hear the starter clicking and trying to engage but the fly wheel won't spin at all. Any help would really be appreciated. I don't know what this part I took off is.
Old 02-14-15, 05:38 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Anything you took out / replaced in that area is far from the flywheel and starter which is on top and rear of the engine.

Did you install back the belt .. properly oriented through the wheels / pulleys ? If yes , then problem has nothing to do with what you just worked on.
Old 02-14-15, 08:15 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I would first make sure the engine mechanically can spin ... simply by turning the main crank pulley bolt (clock wise) for at least 2 to 4 turns.

With a alternator work you could have a draw from the a battery. When you reconnect the battery I expect a spark but if you disconnect and connect again the spark should be minimal.

Then it can be a simple case of drained battery. If you have been having alternator problem and the vehicle has been sitting it very well can be the case. Take the battery out and have it tested under load. Did you try to jump?

Unrelated problem?

Salim