Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

best reman p/s pump!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 07:10 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default best reman p/s pump!?

So, $617.51 is a bit to steep for a new oem power steering pump for my blood, I'd rather just run without p/s again then pay that price.

Anyone here replace their old bad pump with a reman with great success? or maybe even recommend I just get a used working condition pump?

thanks
Old 03-24-14, 08:08 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I am having mine replaced by the shop this Saturday.... Several remanufactured options and prices ranged from $120 to $180 for a replacement pump.

Now the "bad news" (that I have not been able to verify). The high pressure hose that runs from the pump to the steering rack is a very specialized part, evidently, and there supposedly is no aftermarket option. The hose is around $700 or more from Toyota.

The shop is going to first replace the leaking pump and inspect the hose with the hope it won't need to be replaced......
Old 03-24-14, 08:25 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a replacement PS Pump from O'Reilly's (140) & bought both the high pressure hoses off rock auto (Part #80398 & #80399) Edelman for 61.79. If you do a google search you'll find rock auto coupon codes to save even more$. I had an entire laundry list of parts I picked up from there recently. Good Luck
Old 03-24-14, 09:01 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by iridebmx
So, $617.51 is a bit to steep for a new oem power steering pump for my blood, I'd rather just run without p/s again then pay that price.

Anyone here replace their old bad pump with a reman with great success? or maybe even recommend I just get a used working condition pump?

thanks
My thread HERE discusses alternatives. I chose the Atlantic Automotive Power Steering Pump for $239 but have not installed it yet. I also ordered one from Gazy. I will get a kit and rebuild the OEM pump and have a spare.
Originally Posted by Duck05
I am having mine replaced by the shop this Saturday.... Several remanufactured options and prices ranged from $120 to $180 for a replacement pump.

Now the "bad news" (that I have not been able to verify). The high pressure hose that runs from the pump to the steering rack is a very specialized part, evidently, and there supposedly is no pump for an aftermarket option. The hose is around $700 or more from Toyota.

The shop is going to first replace the leaking pump and inspect the hose with the hope it won't need to be replaced......
Driftmotion makes one. i just got it but did not install it yet. You need to delete/plug two vacuum lines that only raise idle a bit when needed. THIS Link (and a few others) discuss it. I think King Phillip has a writeup on it CL. I never found a Toyota version of this hose.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-14, 07:02 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I already have the stainless line from driftmotion. (very easy install by the way) I recommend covering the line with rubber or high temp tape so it does not rub on anything accidentally.

I guess I'll go with a advance auto parts replacement and buy some 3/8 hose while i am at it. I just REALLY don't want it to go bad and have to keep changing it.

On a side note, driving the SC without power steering isn't bad at all! only downside is turning, you cant finger it or gently turn with your knee you have to use a little pressure to keep it there. oh well! I can put up with it for now.

thanks for the feedback
Old 03-26-14, 02:10 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jomosc400
I recently picked up a replacement PS Pump from O'Reilly's (140) & bought both the high pressure hoses off rock auto (Part #80398 & #80399) Edelman for 61.79. If you do a google search you'll find rock auto coupon codes to save even more$. I had an entire laundry list of parts I picked up from there recently. Good Luck
Are these for an SC300? They look different from what I see for the 400. Please elaborate.
Old 03-26-14, 07:49 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the high pressure hose, you don't necessarily have to replace it, you can have it rebuilt. Not sure if there's a mobile service like we have here in Cali, but I remember another member saying they had theirs rebuilt for a fraction of what a new hose cost but much better fittings by a company called Pirtek. http://www.pirtekusa.com/fwp/commerce/
Old 03-26-14, 11:41 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
For the high pressure hose, you don't necessarily have to replace it, you can have it rebuilt. Not sure if there's a mobile service like we have here in Cali, but I remember another member saying they had theirs rebuilt for a fraction of what a new hose cost but much better fittings by a company called Pirtek. http://www.pirtekusa.com/fwp/commerce/
I wish we had a Pirtek here. Just checked the site, looks way cool!
Thx
Old 03-27-14, 08:51 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting thread, as my pump seems to be on the way out.
Old 03-29-14, 04:59 PM
carsmypnis
Driver

any hydraulic supply place can rebuild the hose. i got the power steering pump for mine from advance auto parts. it was like 150 plus core. if u order it online u can look up discount codes. i got a 40 off one i used. lifetime warranty. if it breaks it only takes like 30 min to replace
Old 04-04-14, 05:27 PM
fourstars
Rookie

most of these units offer at many online and parts stores are all remanufacture, and you can do it all your self for $22 + s/h for the rebuild kit. its very easy to do. there is write up posted and if you follow that, you'll be done in 1 hr if you have the unit out.. I just did mines this weekend and was cake..