Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need some help installing either MKIV SMIC or Soarer SMIC (have both)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 12:14 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts
Default Need some help installing either MKIV SMIC or Soarer SMIC (have both)

I'm having a little trouble installing either of my two stock SMICs. The other day I attempted to bolt up first the MKIV SMIC and then after no luck with that the Soarer SMIC. I found that the upper stub and lower mounting points on the inside of the car's frame don't quite line up. They look like they should but don't. I bought some stock MKIV IC bolts for this and I have all the stock bracketing but I had to abandon everything to try again later. I never got to try installing the OEM Soarer IC pipe under the radiator.

I'll note that, while my car is NA and I know an intercooler is useless without a turbo I'm actually installing it now to have less fragile parts to ship because I am moving in a few days and I'll be driving my car. Both open ends of the IC and under pipe are being blocked off by tennis ***** and some tape.

I also couldn't get my local Toyota dealer to sell me the correct nut to go onto that top stud. They wanted a Supra VIN number to check.

Can anyone who's kept the stock hardware help with any tips? It really looks like it should be very easy but for some reason it isn't.

Other things I have noticed:

--The lower side bolt hole for the IC bracket on the SC chassis appears not to be fully drilled out. I could be mistaken.
--With the MKIV SMIC the factory shroud hits the 97+ foglight in my bumper. I have a spare shroud I could cut but would it make more sense to just stick with the Soarer IC and locate a stock shroud for it?

Thanks all. If I have to I'll just ship it but if I can knock it out in a morning and button it up I'd like to.
Old 03-04-14, 12:18 AM
KahnBB6

Well, I guess not many people have installed these...

Today I finally had a go at it again and tried a different entrance angle-- it fit and the one bolt on the side went in. Using the top stud I had to order the following nut, which at first Toyota wanted a Supra VIN number for. I assumed it was because this was due to a recall on some other model it cross-referenced to:

90179-08159

This takes a 10mm socket but is supposedly for an 8mm bolt with a 1.5 or 1.125 pitch according to how the parts guy deciphered the last five digits. No comment there.

On the Soarer under-radiator IC pipe: it fit VERY snug with the stock mounting bracket that wouldn't bolt into any OEM location. Removing the bracket to make it a free-floating pipe cured this but this means the only way to secure it is at the rubber hoses on each end. Here is another area where I'd love to hear from others who have used stock a stock Soarer IC and piping.

Third... the OEM MKIV-TT SMIC clearly sticks out a bit low and will require spacers to have a chance of fitting in the fender well. I could not get the bolt on the side to fit as easily as I could with the Soarer OEM SMIC. And of course the MKIV IC shroud hits 97-00 foglight housings (i.e.: Dremel it if you plan to use it and you have this issue).

I plan to locate a Soarer SMIC factory shroud before I make the system functional.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-04-14 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 02:06 PM
Blakenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depending on your future plans, it can be well worth getting the 2jz intercooler to fit, as it it flows 305 cfm compared to the soarer's 214cfm.
I built a custom shroud for when i installed the supra one.(i own a jzz30 soarer)
Old 03-17-14, 03:18 PM
KahnBB6

That's a big difference ^^

My plans are BPU with two functioning cats at anywhere between 15-18psi. Going for the high numbers here

I actually have an MKIV SMIC with two spare shrouds but as I mentioned above I couldn't quite get it to fit or clear the factory plastic under-panel the way the Soarer IC would.

For now I want to locate a Soarer IC shroud. Later I may try shoving the MKIV SMIC in there.

It'll be a while until I have a working turbo engine anyway. The SMIC's were acquired for emissions purposes primarily.