Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is my belt tensioner bad or just the pulley? How can I tell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 10:47 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Is my belt tensioner bad or just the pulley? How can I tell?

Hi,
On the coldest day this year, I started the car and It sounded like metallic birds chirping under the hood. As I accelerated, I could hear the intensity and pitch go up and back down when I slowed. The same day, when I turned on my heat and radio (lights were on), the idle dropped and the car nearly stalled. It happened anytime I was at a full stop, in gear with heavy electronic accessories on. If I rev it a bit in neutral, it stays on.

1) I was told it was my tensioner making the noise. If the tensioner is bad, could it cause the belt to slip (not properly turning the alternator) causing my voltage to drop too low, or is the alternator likely going as well?

2) (in simple nubs terms) How can I tell if I need just the pulley, or the whole tensioner assembly?

3) Are there any non Lexus replacements that fit perfectly (without mods) and last long.

I was told I needed part number 16620-0W030 after I gave him my VIN.

PS: possibly useless data point. I ran the car through the wash yesterday and when I got out, the noise was gone and it didn't try to stall for 45 minutes or so.
(strange)

Thank You!!

SG
Old 01-17-14, 12:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I always start with the belt. if the belt has worn enough the tensioner will be at a point where it tends to rattle alot as it moves sideways. you can usually tell with a flashlight if its kicking alot side to side. there are also tick marks on the side of the tensioner and a little pointer thing, and if its inbetween the lines or on a line its still alright, if its way outside those marks then indicates a worn belt or tensioner.

usually its the pulley bearing though that makes the noise from all this extra movement of a worn belt and gets damaged and the bearing makes a noise from just spinning, changing the belt will not solve the noise at this point. you can shoot the front of pulley with some wd40 and see if it changes the pitch (dont shoot the belt or top of the pulley). if so you can get the bearing pressed out and install a new one, or maybe they sell the whole pulley not sure.

If you take the belt off and give it a spin it should be obvious its the pulley or not.
Old 01-17-14, 02:58 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I always start with the belt. if the belt has worn enough the tensioner will be at a point where it tends to rattle alot as it moves sideways. you can usually tell with a flashlight if its kicking alot side to side. there are also tick marks on the side of the tensioner and a little pointer thing, and if its inbetween the lines or on a line its still alright, if its way outside those marks then indicates a worn belt or tensioner.

usually its the pulley bearing though that makes the noise from all this extra movement of a worn belt and gets damaged and the bearing makes a noise from just spinning, changing the belt will not solve the noise at this point. you can shoot the front of pulley with some wd40 and see if it changes the pitch (dont shoot the belt or top of the pulley). if so you can get the bearing pressed out and install a new one, or maybe they sell the whole pulley not sure.

If you take the belt off and give it a spin it should be obvious its the pulley or not.
Awesome Ali!

Much appreciated man!

SG
Old 02-22-14, 06:25 AM
redlinemac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

StudioGeek,

I just purchased the exact same car this week (my toy) and the screeching sound is here as well. About to go to Lexus to purchase the tensioner. Paperwork that came with the car shows they've attempted to address the noise by installing a new belt so either pulley or tensioner and I figure I may as well replace both while in there.
Old 02-22-14, 07:04 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by redlinemac
StudioGeek,

I just purchased the exact same car this week (my toy) and the screeching sound is here as well. About to go to Lexus to purchase the tensioner. Paperwork that came with the car shows they've attempted to address the noise by installing a new belt so either pulley or tensioner and I figure I may as well replace both while in there.
Don't forget to change the belt again too. I hear the Gatorback belt is magically silent.
Old 02-22-14, 10:24 PM
redlinemac
Driver School Candidate

Pulleys from AutoZone and Advanced...major FAIL. The learning is good...even better when you accomplish what you set out to do. Where I am now is ordering Lexus tensioner with pulley built in for almost $300 but after the time spent today I would have gladly paid that to now be finished with this project. Sage advice on the belt. The previous owner recently added new belt but I almost want to start from scratch to be able to put together my own sked/calendar
Old 02-23-14, 01:45 PM
hotshot27
Driver School Candidate

if you havent ordered the tensioner yet, i just bought one from rock auto "goodyear" brand. was $50 with shipping and is doing great so far.
Old 02-23-14, 07:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hotshot27
if you havent ordered the tensioner yet, i just bought one from rock auto "goodyear" brand. was $50 with shipping and is doing great so far.
Wow! Awesome price!
Did it require any modification or did it fit just like the OEM part?

I paid $260 with shipping from Carson.
Old 02-24-14, 08:53 AM
grm405
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post

Gates makes 2 tensioners, the one that fits and the one that doesn't (requires modification to sort of fit). The one that fits is the #39080 which sells at Amazon for $118. It is an exact fit and just slides in without any modification and without hitting the timing covers. I just installed one. The other one is about half the price. The choice is yours. I chose the one that fits.

Gerry
Old 02-24-14, 09:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by grm405
Gates makes 2 tensioners, the one that fits and the one that doesn't (requires modification to sort of fit). The one that fits is the #39080 which sells at Amazon for $118. It is an exact fit and just slides in without any modification and without hitting the timing covers. I just installed one. The other one is about half the price. The choice is yours. I chose the one that fits.

Gerry
The Lexus part is already installed but it is great to know for the future or to suggest to other members.

Thank you!
SG
Old 03-02-14, 11:08 AM
redlinemac
Driver School Candidate

Default Awesome info...great share

Originally Posted by grm405

Gerry
What was found with some further digging: The previous owner had a new belt installed before the sell. How about it was the wrong size. That should have been step one but, of course, the ***-u-m(e)-ption was the repair shop (receipts included in the sale) would have done it correctly. So much for that.

On another note, I've barely had this car for two weeks and in this forum I have already been blown away by the sharing of info. This is an awesome spot and I greatly appreciate you all...
Old 03-10-16, 02:41 PM
Moe419
Driver School Candidate

Default Hala

there are also tick marks on the side of the tensioner and a little pointer thing, and if its inbetween the lines or on a line its still alright, if its way outside those marks then indicates a worn belt or tensioner

So with the belt on Ali where should the pointer mark be in between
or first tick to left there is three on left and space the one on right