Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93sc400 Code 25

Old 01-09-14, 01:40 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93sc400 Code 25

Replaced battery last Friday (ordered alternator)
Limped home from work on Saturday on a couple jumps from a hwy patrolman & my wife after breaking down on the hwy 30 miles from the house.
Changed the alternator soon as I got back home (refurb from O'Reilly's)

3rd battery I've had to replace (35,000 miles)
3rd alternator I've had to replace (35,000 miles)

But that's not even why I started this thread.... (Feel free to chime in on why you might think Im having to do this what seems like every 18 months though.)

I drive for Pepsi, so this is my daily driver. I took off for work Sunday morning and within 25 miles my check engine / trac off dummy lights illuminate. (Just my luck) We had snow! What a pain in the a$$ it is to drive the sc4 in snow with no trac. especially on the hwy.

Anyways.. Took it to O'Reilly's this afternoon my lunch break and the fella hooked it up to the code reader. Mixture Control continuously lean DTC: 25

Please help.. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-09-14, 01:43 PM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same code. Then it runs fine next day. I'm replacing the ecu. Ill let you know how that goes.
Old 01-09-14, 02:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I will check my PDF file when I get home and see what the symptoms are.
Old 01-09-14, 02:23 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Thanks 1JZPWRD,

I was hoping you'd reply.. I've been reading your build thread. You've done great work on yours.
Old 01-09-14, 03:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome to CL, Please post in the proper sub forum. Thread moved to maintenance.
Your power steering pump is leaking onto your alternator.
Fix leak. Fix alternator. In that order.

reset the ecu those lean codes come and go sometimes. if it keeps coming back then there is probably something up. could have also lost a coil pack or something. does it idle well and feel strong or half strength?
Old 01-09-14, 03:14 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Welcome to CL, Please post in the proper sub forum. Thread moved to maintenance.
Your power steering pump is leaking onto your alternator.
Fix leak. Fix alternator. In that order.

reset the ecu those lean codes come and go sometimes. if it keeps coming back then there is probably something up. could have also lost a coil pack or something. does it idle well and feel strong or half strength?
Other than the loss of Trac control - I've noticed no difference driving at various speeds. In town or on the Hwy. I did the disconnect battery negative, turn on headlights wait 10minutes (an hour) turn off headlights reconnect battery a bit ago. I've got a 40 mile drive to my 1st stop 2mrw so we'll see if that clears the code.

My apologies on putting the thread in the wrong location.
Old 01-09-14, 03:45 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

Could be a loose connection in your intake piping or a vac leak as well. I would grab the intake and see if it moves easily (it shouldn't) also the stock according coupling tends to crack over time. These things would cause a lean mixture. As far as the alternator and batteries, check the alternator for evidence of fluid hitting it, chances are the ps fluid is dripping onto it. I still don't see how you could have gone through three alternators without noticing fluid on it. I'm also very confused as to why a salesman would sell you a third battery in a shrt time. For example my battery was made in 2003 and although it needs jumping from time to time, it still holds up.
Old 01-09-14, 04:10 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dream36
Could be a loose connection in your intake piping or a vac leak as well. I would grab the intake and see if it moves easily (it shouldn't) also the stock according coupling tends to crack over time. These things would cause a lean mixture. As far as the alternator and batteries, check the alternator for evidence of fluid hitting it, chances are the ps fluid is dripping onto it. I still don't see how you could have gone through three alternators without noticing fluid on it. I'm also very confused as to why a salesman would sell you a third battery in a shrt time. For example my battery was made in 2003 and although it needs jumping from time to time, it still holds up.
FWIW .. the battery (with warranty) only cost 28bux - no charge on the alternator. I bought some engine degreaser to clean up the area near the alternator and PS hoses to check for any drips to the system.

I have a pretty good feeling though, based on the things I've read on the CL forum that is more than likely the case regarding the alternator issues I've been having. I just would love to see it running good again that way I can invest my time into other areas such as.. getting my LCD climate control screen fixed. sending the needles to Lex Tech to be upgraded, changing the dash cluster bulbs to LED's & getting the leather on my seats replaced, then eventually painting it.

Thats the long term plan.. With only 131k miles, having bought it in 2006 with only 96k it has plenty of life left, not to mention I've always wanted this car since I was in High School.
Old 01-09-14, 04:12 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Just like Ali mentioned, as to the alternator issue, fix the power steering leak first. That is what is burning up your alternator. PS fluid drips onto the alternator and fries it over time.

As to the code 25, that would be your o2 sensors. Bank 1 if I'm not mistakes, but just replace all of them.
Old 01-09-14, 04:17 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Just like Ali mentioned, as to the alternator issue, fix the power steering leak first. That is what is burning up your alternator. PS fluid drips onto the alternator and fries it over time.

As to the code 25, that would be your o2 sensors. Bank 1 if I'm not mistakes, but just replace all of them.
Thanks Slide on the feedback.. and forgive me for my ignorance.. having changed the alternator before, I've gotten somewhat 'good' at doing that.. but the o2 sensors.. not so much ... How many are there, and where are they located? Any advice on the price friendliest place to pick up them?
Old 01-09-14, 04:21 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

on my sc300 i had 25 and 26 occur. I believe it to have been a loose gas cap, i disconnected battery, removed gas cap then retightened to 2 clicks, and reconnected battery, hasnt reoccurred.
Old 01-09-14, 04:28 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
on my sc300 i had 25 and 26 occur. I believe it to have been a loose gas cap, i disconnected battery, removed gas cap then retightened to 2 clicks, and reconnected battery, hasnt reoccurred.
any advice welcome.. just checked and tightened.

i may or may not have taken a former car I owned in to the shop for a check engine light that had came on only to be told I had to buy a 14 dollar gas cap and getting charged 170 dollars for the examination..
Old 01-09-14, 04:34 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jomosc400
Thanks Slide on the feedback.. and forgive me for my ignorance.. having changed the alternator before, I've gotten somewhat 'good' at doing that.. but the o2 sensors.. not so much ... How many are there, and where are they located? Any advice on the price friendliest place to pick up them?
The o2 sensors are expensive little buggers. If you haven't ever replaced them, I recommend it. If they've been replaced before forget about it. Anyways, they're about $100 each at AutoZone. You could go cheap but they will end up failing before the OEM o2 sensors. They are open-end wrench tightened plug-and-play. It's not too hard, but not too easy considering they're right by the exhaust (after the catalytic converters.) 2 or 3 o2 sensors. Get a second opinion before spending 200 +. I am sure they're the issue though.

Keep updated.
Old 01-10-14, 08:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I always buy the universal denso's its practically like oem but they are much less expensive and if you can crimp yourself some wires you will save some money.
Old 01-10-14, 08:02 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I always buy the universal denso's its practically like oem but they are much less expensive and if you can crimp yourself some wires you will save some money.
advance auto always has coupon codes for up to 40% off too regardless of which route you go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93sc400 Code 25