Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 - ignition coil problems + Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 12:22 PM
RWDorGTFO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 - ignition coil problems + Coolant Leak

Okay so here's the situation. Yesterday I was driving my SC home from work, everything was fine. I'm about to pull into my court and all of a sudden I lost basically all throttle response and it felt like it was running on 1/2 of the cylinders. Did my research, seems like its an ignition coil. So I unplug the driver side coil, try to start the car up, and it won't stay started. So then I plug that one back up and unplug the passenger side one. Start it up, and it runs as it did before it was unplugged. I proceed to call up the parts store and go pick up a new ignition coil. When I get back home I take the old one off, swap the new one on, then take it back out to the car to install. Im putting the bottom connector on and I hear a little snap. Wtf? It appears the little retention clip on the outside of the connector snapped off. I've taken off 1000s and never broke one before. I put it down as tight as I could and start the car up but it still runs ****ty, most likely because of the connection. I havent ran acrossed a problem like this before so My question is, how can I fix this?

Also I've been losing a tiny bit of coolant every week or so, and the problem has finally started to show itself. It's by the upper coolant outlet beneath where the upper hose connects. Can anyone tell me exactly where its coming from and what needs to be replaced? All parts appear to be in good condition and connections seem to be solid.

I love my SC to death but my girlfriend and I need ways to get to work and if I can't get it fixed very soon ill have to let her go and move on. Any input/opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by RWDorGTFO; 11-25-13 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-25-13, 12:32 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

It looks like the thermostat housing cracked.
Old 11-25-13, 12:51 PM
RWDorGTFO
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
It looks like the thermostat housing cracked.
Really? I'll have to have another look when I get some day light. I couldnt see that. Thanks for the reply
Old 11-25-13, 01:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

could also be the gasket. for the insert you can get a replacement or a new connector that will have it inside it so it holds the pins in tight.
The following users liked this post:
Silgs300 (07-25-17)
Old 11-25-13, 02:15 PM
RWDorGTFO
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
could also be the gasket. for the insert you can get a replacement or a new connector that will have it inside it so it holds the pins in tight.
I'm just trying to figure out where its coming from because its mostly underneath of the outlet that is nearly impossible to see under.

Do you know where I'd be able to get a new connector for that? Thanks a lot.
Old 11-26-13, 07:29 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RWDorGTFO
Okay so here's the situation. Yesterday I was driving my SC home from work, everything was fine. I'm about to pull into my court and all of a sudden I lost basically all throttle response and it felt like it was running on 1/2 of the cylinders. Did my research, seems like its an ignition coil. So I unplug the driver side coil, try to start the car up, and it won't stay started. So then I plug that one back up and unplug the passenger side one. Start it up, and it runs as it did before it was unplugged. I proceed to call up the parts store and go pick up a new ignition coil. When I get back home I take the old one off, swap the new one on, then take it back out to the car to install. Im putting the bottom connector on and I hear a little snap. Wtf? It appears the little retention clip on the outside of the connector snapped off. I've taken off 1000s and never broke one before. I put it down as tight as I could and start the car up but it still runs ****ty, most likely because of the connection. I havent ran acrossed a problem like this before so My question is, how can I fix this?

Also I've been losing a tiny bit of coolant every week or so, and the problem has finally started to show itself. It's by the upper coolant outlet beneath where the upper hose connects. Can anyone tell me exactly where its coming from and what needs to be replaced? All parts appear to be in good condition and connections seem to be solid.

I love my SC to death but my girlfriend and I need ways to get to work and if I can't get it fixed very soon ill have to let her go and move on. Any input/opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.
I agree with Slide. If the housing is not broken then you might want to put some "form a gasket on the housing to help seal it.

As for "letting her go" don't you think that's kind of harsh since it really isn't your girlfriends fault it's leaking? LOL
Old 11-26-13, 08:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think he means let the car go but I could be wrong on that one.
Old 11-26-13, 08:35 AM
RWDorGTFO
Rookie

Lmfao yeah I was referring to the car, not the girl. And it kinda is her fault its leaking but that's another story for another day...

Placing my hand underneath the housing it feels like that's where the leak is coming from. Only $27 for a replacement part so ill get that and the gasket and replace it once it stops raining.

Also does anyone know if I could rip that connector from an LS400? There's plenty of them being parted in my area and I can't seem to find a new ignition coil harness for sale everywhere I've looked.

Thanks for all the input