Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Would you like to see the tt ecu mod with the stock coil/distributor
Yes, I really like my stock coil because its already there!
0%
No, Coilpacks are worth the effort everytime.
100.00%
what is a coil/coilpacks?
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

tt ecu mod with stock coil interest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 12:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts
Default tt ecu mod with stock coil interest?

I get this asked alot from time to time, do you guys think this is worth me looking into or should I just leave it as you have to upgrade to coilpacks. there is probably a way to do it and I have a few ideas, but I would need to pull alot of stuff off the car which is not fun, but If people want it bad enough I can look into testing it out, I need to go back in there and solder some things I moved around anyways.

so it would be the same tt ecu mod, but won't need the coilpacks which would cut down some of the complicated wiring for those just wanting to get it up and running.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-20-13 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-20-13, 01:43 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the igt signals to the coil with diodes to prevent back feeding. I'll be doing an obd2 tt ecu on a ge soon, but using ls1 coils with plug wires to fit under stock intake. Similar circuitry as what you're trying to do
Old 11-20-13, 02:05 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I don't think the IGT signals can fire the stock coil directly, they will have to go through some ignitor for the stock coil and I cannot use the stock ignitor cause the IGF signal coming back is incompatible with the gte ecu IGF signal that the multi channel ignitor put out. So I will be trying to use the ds62 ignitor which has the right IGF signal and combine the 3 coil wires that go from ignitor to the coils down to 1 wire to the stock coil possibly with diodes, but I need to confirm if they are always on and pulled to ground to fire that coil or if they are ground and pulsed to fire the coil. the IGT's are pulsed from the ecu to the ignitor, but from ignitor to coil is much different apparently and I was told they may be always on, which will make combining them trickier, maybe turning the diodes the other direction might solve the problem if thats the case. I'm sure I can figure it out If I really get in there and start playing with it.

for the LS1 coils, they have built in ignitors so you can IGT straight to them. only problem with stock ecu is feeding back an IGF with the ls1 coils, so you need a IGF simulator or find a way to run the ds62 ignitor in parallel just for the IGF signal (never been done but I can see it in my head.. lol). real question is will the ignitor return a IGF without a coil attached to it... not sure I have heard anyone try that before.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-20-13 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-20-13, 06:15 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good question. Meant to say igt to igniter, but yeah. As for the igf sim, works like a champ. Ran my non vvti 1j with it for no reason other than to see if it works, was on my car a couple weeks.

How do you know igf from ge igniter is incompatible? I know for sure other toyota 6cyl igniters that aren't commonly used on gte will provide the right signal.
Old 11-20-13, 08:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Well I figured it out when I did the tt ecu mod, because the stock ignition just wouldn't work and later on I saw it in the manuals about the different IGF's. the early 1 coil ignitor toyota used in cars with distributors had a IGF signal that was produced by the primary coil force (check out attached picture), and the later generation ignitors use the primary current at the bottom of the picture and these come on motors having at least waste spark coils (4 cyl toyota's or vvti JZ) or individual coil on plug cars (like the JZ Gte's and like a 95 avalon), and the signals are incompatible it confuses the ecu. I will have to find the picture of the waveforms later on but they show them side by side in the manual.

so the one that you have shouldn't work on an n/a ecu, but it should work on any gte ecu. they can probably make one for the n/a cars though it wouldn't be that hard, but if you have a IGF simulator for a gte it will work with the gte ecu mod.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-20-13 at 08:32 PM.