Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Extending 1JZ Soarer Harness for Sc300 *If you have done it come here*

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 04:39 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extending 1JZ Soarer Harness for Sc300 *If you have done it come here*

hey guys im getting real close to starting my 1jz automatic swap in my sc. im trying to get all the information i need before i start, and as of right now im looking for information on extending the harness.

i have read that you just need to extend all the wires that go through the firewall at least 18 inches.

is it that simple? just the wires that run into the firewall, to locate the ecu in the sc factory location?

ive head of people having to extend body plugs and sort, and to be carefull with the knock sensor wire.

i want to make sure that when i do this i do it 100% correctly and run into no errors.

i have been searching for information but i can seem to find something thats really descriptive.

Is there some sort of detailed thread with pictures showing exactly how its done?

lmk

thanks

Last edited by Golden95SC; 11-05-13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 04:44 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

If you have the stock harness, put it next to the Gte harness, determine length. There will probably need to be some repinning, possibly alternator stuff wired in depending on year, the pps solenoid plug needs to be relocated, and iirc the security horn as well. But yeah, extend it. Don't cut into shielded stuff. Simple, just tedious.
Old 11-05-13, 09:54 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Repinning? I havnt heard of that for a soarer harness on a sc3. I have looked a few threads and diffrnt websites and it LOOKS like its just the wires that go through the firewall, but i need a 100% answer

I wil mostly be using a spare ge harness for wires to use to extend the 1jz harness
Old 11-06-13, 03:09 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Minor repinning depending on the donor. The only repinning I had to do was temp gauge.

Everything going through the firewall needs extension. The rest can be managed otherwise.
Old 11-06-13, 05:45 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

You probably haven't heard of it because most people are hacks and don't like doing things proper. Do you have the wiring diagrams for your car? In the ewd, you'll want the combination meter section to confirm cluster functions are in the right place, and the charging section to confirm alternator. Late model z3x chassis has alternator wiring integrated into the body
Old 11-06-13, 05:50 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

But regardless, if you do as I say and put the harnesses next to each other, you'll see where you need to work things and how much. Like, its completely obvious. If you're familiar with your vehicle youll understand there are reference points for placement/fitment.
Old 11-18-13, 05:47 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Ok and how do you go about the shielded wires?

I picked up a sc400 harness just to use for wire to extend the 1jz and in the sc4 harness theres a reallu thick cable and looks like theres 6 or 7 wires just in that 1 cable. Are these the "shielded wires" that people say to be carefull with?

I Would i just extend each wire inside the big one right?

And whats up with people talking about a usb conversion?
Old 11-18-13, 07:57 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

USB wires are shielded wires. An old USB cable makes for a good shielded extension donor.
Old 11-19-13, 04:53 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Ok so i just extend them like normal i guess,

Now ive been looking up some motors and some say that the cluster harness is Cut.

Will my sc300 cluster harness splice into the soarer harness if its cut?

Are the wires the same colors and easy to match? Or should i be sure to recieve a 1jz with the harness untouched and intact

I dont want to run into any issues with this
Old 11-19-13, 05:23 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

The Thick shielded wire you're talking about is probably not needed, bet its trac control. You really should t be touching this until you understand what you're doing, and you don't. You can't even identify that your soarer harness has the same connectors or you wouldn't be asking if it can be spliced in. There are many write ups on this subject, have you read any? Yes, the single wire temp sensor, check engine light, oil pressure sensor, oil level sensor, can all be added in. The speedometer and reverse lights can be made to work. The a/c, charging, everything.

Here's a tip for you. Don't clip into any of the shielded stuff. Just extend after the shielding, closer to the ecu.

Here's another tip. Go to ebay and buy the Lexus EWD (electrical wiring diagrams) for your year car. There's a section in front. It's called "how to use this manual". Read this section in its entirety 4 times.

After reading that section, check out the engine control section. Now is the time you're gonna want to pull out your soarer pinout. They're readily available with a google search. You're gonna look at the engine control, then make sure that stuff gets power where it should, ground where it should, basically confirm what needs to happen and where.

The above will get you familiar with how your chassis works. And it's really really really simple to make the soarer harness work because
A: all the circuits are labeled the same (ex batt, igsw, mrel, w, +b)
B: all of the connectors are the same, and circuits are in almost all the same places

You need to relocate your progressive power steering solenoid wiring, and possibly your alternator wiring and temp wiring.

It's really that simple. Please get the ewd and stop asking questions, we shouldn't hear from you until this car runs concerning wiring. All the resources you need are in threads here on clublexus, and specifically this one now too.

PS. Pull your cluster, access the circuit board directly behind the tack and find resistor 109, and clip it out and replace it with a piece of wire. Use common sense here, don't over think this
Old 11-19-13, 05:54 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hereby dub you "Vrank the Hand-holder". Always being welcoming and helpful and whatnot.
Old 11-19-13, 06:31 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Ya sorry about so many questions, i have looked through the information on the forum and threads but i guess not enough, i dont have a motor yet ,im about to order one, thats y i was asking about the cluster wires , because some places sell motors with the cluster harness cut, its 4 plugs i believe im not not sure. Im not very good with electrical or wiring so i guess thats y im being so cautious on questions. Thanks for your input Vrank
Old 11-19-13, 06:41 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's all here pal, so don't sweat it. Once you get the swap and harness in your hands, you can dig through it and it will slowly start to make sense. I was like you before my aristo swap. Asking every conceivable question trying to prepare before I even had the swap in hand. Trust me when I say that it will all come together if you research and really apply yourself. Once you start making progress, you can come back here for help along the way.