Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Part ID request

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 07:27 PM
Sventing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part ID request

Hey, all.
Thank you all for welcoming me to the community!"
I am the proud owner of a used 1992 SC400! She didn't come without her problems though.
I've been able to do a lot of repairs by myself lately, but when I was taking a look at my undercarriage and noticed a few dangly bits that did not look too attractive.
I need your help in ID'ing these 2 items. I've purchased the service manual for this car, but I've not found anything useful relating to the identification of these disconnected pieces.

Thank you all in advance for taking time to help!

Looks like a couple of disconnected hoses, but I've got no access to a lift at the moment, so I got under the car as best as I could from the front.
Part ID request-ahna40p.jpg

Part ID request-lpvaxzp.jpg

Part ID request-tfvukfx.jpg

Part ID request-kkdx45m.jpg

This piece is dangling near the front bumper, in front of the driver side control arm.

Part ID request-wbzjbkh.jpg

Part ID request-yysg3q8.jpg

Last edited by Sventing; 09-18-13 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Uploaded better images
Old 09-18-13, 07:31 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you post better pictures?
Old 09-18-13, 07:40 PM
Sventing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Can you post better pictures?
Will do ASAP. Thanks for the reply. I took these around sunset time and the light caused a bit of distortion with my awesome cell phone camera.
Old 09-18-13, 07:42 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes sir.. I am going to take a stab at the first picture. Is that a return line for the auto tranny from the transmission to the bottom of the radiator? Is your car a manual now or an automatic?
Old 09-18-13, 08:28 PM
Sventing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Yes sir.. I am going to take a stab at the first picture. Is that a return line for the auto tranny from the transmission to the bottom of the radiator? Is your car a manual now or an automatic?
New images uploaded, my friend!
She's an Auto, but I'm not familiar enough with the fluid circuitry of this car yet. The transmission does want to stick in 1st on a cold start, and if I keep it around 4k rpms, it'll break loose and continue to shift normally.
I think the AT fluid might be a bit low, but other than that, she's getting me to where I need to go.

Last edited by Sventing; 09-18-13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-18-13, 10:03 PM
Sventing
Driver School Candidate

I also think I should mention this car has no power steering at the moment. The guy I bought the car from told me up front that this was an issue and all I needed to do was get new hoses, which I've not gotten around to doing yet.
Old 09-18-13, 11:18 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dangling piece is the position light. That should be attached to your headlight housing.
Those hoses are from the trans oil cooler, which is part of the radiator. You should take a look at what went wrong and put them to work before your trans gets a major damage because of high temps.
Old 09-19-13, 12:00 AM
Sventing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
The dangling piece is the position light. That should be attached to your headlight housing.
Those hoses are from the trans oil cooler, which is part of the radiator. You should take a look at what went wrong and put them to work before your trans gets a major damage because of high temps.
Awesome info! Any suggestions before I go off to study how to repair this or have someone fix it?
Old 09-19-13, 04:35 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, that is the power steering cooler line. Hence no power steering. The high pressure hose probably took a crap. As much as I'm not into pushing driftmotion parts, their p/s hose kit would prob be cheapest to replace the high pressure hose. Dealer/world PAC/ autozone wanted too much. If you can, bypass that stupid coil of tubes for the low pressure part that's not hooked up and routes under the front bumper in front of the drivers front wheel. It's stupid clutter
Old 09-19-13, 04:37 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ps: If it was the auto tranny lines it'd have no fluid in it, a big mess under it, and you'd be stranded on the side of the road. While you're down there look into cleaning or replacing the alternator as the ps leaks right onto them and can cause problems
Old 09-22-13, 04:47 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At first I thought they where attached to the radiator and somewhat twisted to not pass oil through them.

Last edited by MMCtuner; 09-22-13 at 04:53 PM.