Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte auto tranny...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 10:02 PM
DreaMzZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-gte auto tranny...?

On average how much can I expect to pay for a 2jz-gte swap with auto transmission into a 2000 SC 300? Price including labor would be nice to know. Also, if anyone is in Charlotte, NC area and knows about a decent shop that does solid work for a solid price let me know! I haven't really found a shop I would trust to do the swap.

Other questions about swap:
Whats the difference if the motor is from an Aristo or a Supra? I've noticed Aristo motors seem to be much cheaper..
What other parts will I need in order to complete swap?
How much HP can i expect from the swap alone?
If I get a axleback exhaust with custom piping to catalytic converter will that be affected by new engine?
I know its a lot of questions and most are noob questions but thanks whoever reads and helps!
Old 08-02-13, 10:33 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The auto tranny is cheap lol.
Old 08-02-13, 10:42 PM
DreaMzZ
Driver

When you say cheap do you mean the swap is much cheaper or the actual transmission is cheap and ****ty..?
Old 08-02-13, 10:45 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

I think he means the tranny is actually cheap like 100 bucks or more lol
Old 08-02-13, 10:51 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheap in cost.
Old 08-03-13, 05:38 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

An Aristo swap will not drop in to the SC as it is a front sump oil pan and the SC/Supra is a rear sump you also may find that due to the yr of your SC a vvti would be a more cost efficient idea IE:wiring etc, you can buy an aristo swap (cheaper) and reuse your pan and just get it tapped for the turbo return drain.

I also would not bother with exhaust till the swap is in so your not doing things twice.
The stock auto gte trans will only live with about 400 hp after that its hit or miss. highly recommend you eliminate the stock trans cooler(radiator cooler) and use a much larger trans cooler with a fan to help maximize the life of the auto.

GL.

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 08-03-13 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-03-13, 06:07 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

EDIT : Sorry Roger , I haven't read your post before I posted this in...OP , this man before me blk&blu*j knows better what he is talking about .

Originally Posted by DreaMzZ
On average how much can I expect to pay for a 2jz-gte swap with auto transmission into a 2000 SC 300?
Labor price I guess just for the actual swap work will depend on the shop. And I believe that won't be less than $2500 and all materials are yours. If they have to do a lot of custom fabrications then your costs go higher. You will have to get your harness done already cause if they do it , that will be another cost. That alone will be to the tune of around $800. There are so many variables that can jack up that price depending on what you have and not have.

Whats the difference if the motor is from an Aristo or a Supra? I've noticed Aristo motors seem to be much cheaper..
Just like you said Supra Motors are more expensive just because there are less MKIVs than Chasers in Japan. Basically the main difference on the engine would be the oil pans .. aristo are front sump and supra are rear sump . If you have an aristo engine and are instaling it on an SC300 , you will need to find a rear sump upper and lower oil pans.. that will be another $200 for your cost iplus the labor of replacing the pans. The water pump of Aristos are hydraulic and supra are not. The top of the intake manifold for a supra has a vacuum nipple for your brake booster and Aristo do not have that nipple.

If I get a axleback exhaust with custom piping to catalytic converter will that be affected by new engine?
HP on that swap alone ? NOT MUCH .. that engine is rated 276 hp based on Wiki and that is NOT rear wheel horse power. Exhaust size can affect the amount of horsepower you can squeeze out of an engine. Other parts you need ? that depends on what you and don't have.

If you don't mind me suggesting , do a lot of reading , research and then verify what you read before even delving into the project . And am sure Clublexus and Supraforums have wealth of info with that kind of project. That I didn't do some years ago and I paid the price. Don't be too trusting to anybody with that project , there are so many things that can go wrong so do your homework well. And you never know , depending on your skills , you might be able to do a lot of it that will help you save tons of money.

Last edited by gerrb; 08-03-13 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-03-13, 07:58 AM
xiaolong
Driver

I'll add a few things from experience as well...
Buying the tranny is cheap, however.... there's a problem with a lot of em and you'll never know until it's installed. If the auto tranny has sat for a while it will sludge up inside, the fluid is old. The second you introduce new fluid, it creates an acidic reaction and immediately destroys your gears.
I went through 4 trannys due to this, finally found one that was good.
If you're paying someone to install a tranny, this can obviously be an enormous waste of money.
If the tranny is attached, much better chances.
As earlier folks have said, there are several things you have to change/modify.
Harness $800 is cheap, don't be surprised to see $1200
You will have to extend your driveshaft a bit
The TT tranny will hold up to 550hp, easier with a good torque convertor as well. I made 550rwhp with my stock TT auto and a Precision TC, drove perfectly fine.
Now, here's my advice.
This swap will cost ya a decent chunk of change, and you will notice some power increase obviously.
Spend a little more and get a 5 speed

Last edited by xiaolong; 08-03-13 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-16-13, 06:30 PM
Cooldaddy
Driver School Candidate

On average how much can I expect to pay for a 2jz-gte swap with auto transmission into a 2000 SC 300? Price including labor would be nice to know. Also, if anyone is in Charlotte, NC area and knows about a decent shop that does solid work for a solid price let me know! I haven't really found a shop I would trust to do the swap.

Other questions about swap:
I know its a lot of questions and most are noob questions but thanks whoever reads and helps!
Top end auto off idle wild we are doing one right now and they are very reasonable plus knows his stuff. This is his third so I would think if your the fourth it would be super easy