Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to diagnose power steering issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 06:26 AM
Bleak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to diagnose power steering issues?

My power steering has never been perfect. In fact, ever since I got my 1jz swap I've been having issues with it. I've swapped the pump once to another pump due to poor steering assistance and noisey pulley. Now that I swapped it over, things haven't changed much, in fact my pump has failed completely. The power steering on the car doesnt work at all anymore, but the reason I bring this up is because a day ago the power steering randomly worked better than it ever has (probably close to OEM functionality) for a whole day, on my way to work and on the trip back. Then without me changing a thing it went back to utter crap and has failed entirely.

Any idea where I could look to try and get to the bottom of this? Checking certain lines, valves, etc?

I've been using ATF always for fluid.

*I am not leaking fluid
*I have tried bleeding the system, jacked the car up, opened the reservoir cap, turned wheels side to side many times. Just nothing.

Is there an electrical system that helps the power steering in any way..? Maybe it's not just mechanical failure I'm experiencing? It's a 95' sc300.

Last edited by Bleak; 07-19-13 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-21-13, 02:47 PM
Bleak
Driver

bumpss? hmmmm
Old 07-22-13, 09:07 PM
swiftSC4
Driver School Candidate

my 96 sc400 just randomly failed making really loud groans when i move the wheel i put fluid in and it just pours right back out of the holes on the res. after i put the cap back on i assume its the pump but...