Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering pump replaced 3x (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 10:43 PM
Shaar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump replaced 3x (searched)

I just picked up another SC400 as a little project car. Its got a power steering issue (yes another thread, i know, how unique..)

Anyways.. Previous owner replaced the power steering pump with one from lexus for 585 bucks installed. 3 weeks later power steering is out. He decided to replace it in january of this year with a reman pump. I guess it worked, then power steering was gone soon after. Warrantied the pump, put another reman in march of this year. Again, same problem. So he sold the car dirt cheap to me.

So, power steering resevoir is full (not sure what fluid he used). I dont see any leaks at all. There are no drips on the driveway and no decrease in fluid level.

I'm just going to take a shot in the dark here and say that either the solenoid is bad on the rack, or the whole rack is bunnies.

And i don't think it matters, but the O/D light blinks randomly but i have all my gears, and the trac light is on. I doubt those issues have any relation to my power steering problem as they run on different systems.. but thought i'd throw it out there.
Old 06-27-08, 11:45 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take out the flow selenoid at the rack and clean the filter. Flush the entire system with air, refill and bleed properly.
Old 06-28-08, 12:02 AM
Shaar
Driver

I assume the rack has to be dropped to pull that out? Or can i access it by removing the access panel then using a bfw to unscrew it.
Old 06-28-08, 05:39 AM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like system has trash in it. Like others said, make sure all screens are clean and don't have holes in both resevoir and rack. Make sure your hoses are not flaking off from the inside trashing the system. And most important is a good full flush (probably two or three might be better if trash is still in it) and fill via FSM procedure while making sure to get out all the air.

The recommended Dexron or whatever should be fine. The fancier fluids won't hurt, but probably will not help anything you got going on.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 06-28-08, 08:10 AM
Shaar
Driver

Good to know. I'll have to do a flush for sure when i get the chance. I may go ahead and replace the pump while i'm at it.. who knows what the inside looks like. I can get it warrantied for free since it has a lifetime warranty.

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll post back with my results in case this helps someone else in the future.
Old 07-15-08, 04:28 AM
hfsys
Driver School Candidate

I think I have the same problem with my '92 SC300. It's had three different PS Pumps on it now and this last one was on for only about 4-5 months. Now, it's doing it again.

Could someone post some detailed DIY instructions, so I can fix this for good. I'm not taking this to the mechanic this time and I would like to make sure I'm doing it right. It seems like this is an issue several people are having after looking around.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-08, 10:58 AM
SC30096
Pole Position

wow your changing pumps like your doing oil changes lol...I had power steering issues a few months back. after reading through the forums here I had my mechanic clean the steering rack filter and he did a reverse flush. now everything is smooth. i would do the filter and flush before I get another pump.