Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Injector not getting a ground

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 01:50 PM
Brianmoss
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injector not getting a ground

Well once again I have a ground issue in my car. My #5 injector isn't receiving a ground. Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-13, 03:37 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

how does the injector clip look? Is it loose have any corrosion?
Old 06-09-13, 04:38 PM
Brianmoss
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
how does the injector clip look? Is it loose have any corrosion?
Well considering the previous owner has the #1 injector zip tied into place That alone speaks for it self. I just picked up some pig tails and a new iavc plug and conector gonna put them in and see if that's the culprit. I took it to the shop and the mechanic said the ecu ground pin might be going out but from my research all the injectors get there ground from the same pin...... So I'm assuming he was full of it.
Old 06-11-13, 04:02 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well your research is wrong. And your mechanic is full of it. Think of the injector sequence like this. You have a battery, 2 wires, and a light. Your battery's positive terminal has a fixed wire running to the light. The other side of the light has a wire running loose. You touch that wire to ground, the light lights up. pull it off, it goes off. now if you tap the ground wire rapidly to the ground of the battery, it's going to flash the light, correct? yes.

Basically the injector gets 12v power at key on, then the wire that goes into the ecu is your "ground" wire. The ecu fires an injector by supplying a ground when it sees it's time to fire the injector. Depending on what engine you have, there are different ways to look at figuring this out.
Old 06-11-13, 07:28 PM
Brianmoss
Driver

Originally Posted by Vrank
Well your research is wrong. And your mechanic is full of it. Think of the injector sequence like this. You have a battery, 2 wires, and a light. Your battery's positive terminal has a fixed wire running to the light. The other side of the light has a wire running loose. You touch that wire to ground, the light lights up. pull it off, it goes off. now if you tap the ground wire rapidly to the ground of the battery, it's going to flash the light, correct? yes.

Basically the injector gets 12v power at key on, then the wire that goes into the ecu is your "ground" wire. The ecu fires an injector by supplying a ground when it sees it's time to fire the injector. Depending on what engine you have, there are different ways to look at figuring this out.
That was extremely uninsightful, I didn't ask for how it works as Ive already mastered basic mechanics...... I asked if the injectors all get there ground at the same point In the ecu or if they each get there own individual ground
Old 06-12-13, 11:21 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well maybe you should have asked it in a manner that made someone think you know what you're doing. Your posts were very vague, and this place seems to be full of people who literally don't have a clue how their vehicle functions, but seem to have ideas on how to fix things.

If they all used the same ground, then they'd all fire at once, since they all have power constantly in run position and grounding them is what fires them. So in essence, using deductive reasoning would have led you to answer your own question. Unfortunately you've only mastered basic mechanics, not basic fuel injection theory, so you had to post here asking for help worded in a way that someone has to infer exactly what you are trying to figure out. Sorry, as I've told my gf many times, I can't read your mind or just know exactly what you want unless youi tell me exactly. Good luck. A little more help could possibly be given if you stated your engine cobination as well.
Old 06-12-13, 02:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Brianmoss
That was extremely uninsightful, I didn't ask for how it works as Ive already mastered basic mechanics...... I asked if the injectors all get there ground at the same point In the ecu or if they each get there own individual ground
clearly you haven't mastered injectors and Vrank was clearly trying to help explain it to you so you would understand there is no way they can all get their power from the same place and all get their grounds from the same place. all your injectors would fire together and that would have you right back into 1980's silly technology.
The reality is they all get their power from the same place, and each injector has its own signal/ground pin on the ecu, and when the ecu grounds that pin (there are 6 seperate ones) then that one injector fires. you either have a bad connection, a bad wire, a bad ecu, or a bad injector.
Of course this is assuming you have a 2jz. If you have a 1jz, there are only 3 signal wires and each one grounds/fires 2 injectors.
The 1uz, not really sure but I will guess thats batch also with 4 wires for 8 injectors.
This thread is closed.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-12-13 at 02:45 PM.