Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Input on Xspower turbo kits needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 09:25 AM
SC3Monster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on Xspower turbo kits needed

I'm just curious if or how many of you have bought and ran the XSpower turbo kits off ebay. I bought one, and im trying to decide if i want to swap the turbo out for a nicer PTE right away, or if I could get away with the turbo that came with it for awhile? Anyone ever ran the one that comes with it and had any luck? I'll only be running 8-9 PSI on it currently.
Old 04-28-13, 11:56 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the xs kit, In the end i changed

-bov
-wastegate
-oil lines

Original drain line crumbled to pieces shortly, original feed line broke when moving it out of the way, Wastegate first stuck open from a casting imperfection and then not too long after it just wouldnt boost to 14psi like it was, Nothing was broken so i assume the diaphragm was simply worn.
As for the BOV i wont knock em but i had the opportunity to run a real ssqv so i did.

As for your actual question, The turbo has run 12k+ seeing 14 psi most of the time and at one point during the installation stage it saw 1.5 bar. Zero shaft play so far, and only one of the oil seals ripped from me not being careful during taking it apart. Still boosts perfect and shows no signs of failure.

My point is, the turbo will last you a while as long as its properly oiled and of course use a filter.

That being said i still intend on either a: fully upgrading the internals on this turbo or B: buying a big name turbo when this one starts to show signs of failure.
Old 04-28-13, 12:26 PM
1993sc300
Driver School Candidate

Been thinking about ordering the kit off ebay as well because Mark off clubna-t.com isn't answering on forum or emails.
Old 04-28-13, 12:29 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

dont do it man!
Old 04-28-13, 12:53 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1993sc300
Been thinking about ordering the kit off ebay as well because Mark off clubna-t.com isn't answering on forum or emails.
Yeah i noticed that too, clubna-t is a ghost town

Originally Posted by 92blacktt
dont do it man!
Care to elaborate?
Old 04-28-13, 01:15 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 92blacktt
dont do it man!
Why not?

Here is a tid bit of information before bashing more on the XS Power kit, specifically the turbo and the wastegate. sj408 is correct, the kit isnt near as bad as people make it out to be, who generally bash the kit based on word of mouth vs. actually using the kit first hand.

The wastegate is a DIRECT 100% compatible gate to the HKS and the HKS parts can be interchanged to the XS unit. Also, the wastegate sold by DriftMotion.com, that is also an HKS replica, is the same unit as the XS gate.

The XS T70 and Super T70 actually have some very solid center sections. The center sections are the old KKK k26/27 center sections used on the old Porsche turbo's. Downside is they used subpar materials on the bearings, thus in some cases causing premature shaftplay. But, for less than $60, you can get a k26/27 rebuild kit and fix the issue.

I, from personal experience have used both the XS wastegates, and manifold with zero issues, have rebuilt about 3 of the t70 turbo's (only one from a bad bearing), the XS fmic is a very solid unit, and the fmic pipes are more than sufficient.

Overall, for a starter to intermediate kit, the XS kit is a great starting point.
Old 04-28-13, 01:20 PM
sj408
Instructor

yeah i took the guts and bottom portion and swapped from a 50mm race hks to the smaller one xs uses.
Old 04-28-13, 07:14 PM
SC3Monster
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. Glad to hear some people have had some luck with them! I didnt really wanna spend another $1000 on a brand name turbo if i didn't have to right away haha! Also, does anyone know how well the downpipe actually fits to the stock exhaust? From what i've read it seems that it has to be modified? Also, is drilling the oil pan really as scary and it sounds????
Old 04-28-13, 07:24 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC3Monster
Awesome. Glad to hear some people have had some luck with them! I didnt really wanna spend another $1000 on a brand name turbo if i didn't have to right away haha! Also, does anyone know how well the downpipe actually fits to the stock exhaust? From what i've read it seems that it has to be modified? Also, is drilling the oil pan really as scary and it sounds????

The XS downpipe can be tricky, this is one of the hit or miss items on fitment. Easy fix is to pick up a 3''x4'' exhaust flex (the braided one) pipe, and cut a section out of the downpipe and replace it with the flex. This also eases the tension on the turbo, flange and manifold during hard shifts/acceleration, and aid in proper alignment with the exhaust. Cut the DP, bolt the 2 sections (one to the turbo, other to the exhaust) and tack the flex in place, remove as one section and finish the weld.

Trick for drilling the oil pan, is to dip the holesaw in assembly grease. It keeps the bit cool, and when you punch through the pan, it will hold the piece that is cut out in the bit. But go slow, and use very light pressure, let the bit do the work.

Hope that helps some more
Old 04-28-13, 07:58 PM
SC3Monster
Driver School Candidate

that does help, thanks again! Do the position of the 02 sensors matter? like where they are in the downpipe?
Old 04-28-13, 08:01 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC3Monster
that does help, thanks again! Do the position of the 02 sensors matter? like where they are in the downpipe?
Not really. On the XS downpipe, there are 3 o2 sensor bungs. I put my wide-band it the closest one to the turbo, and the 2 oem ones in the lower 2 fittings. Never had an issue.