Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1UZ block with 2UZ crank??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 11:20 AM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1UZ block with 2UZ crank??

Ok here's a possible funny question but here it goes....

I have a project toyota v8 single turbo build in mind but I want the opinions of those here that can give me realistic thoughts to this. I'm gathering parts together slowly but surely. As soon as my lease is up on my cadillac I'm finally going to treat myself and get my two favorite cars a MK4 Supra and a SC430. The SC will be my daily and the supra will come out on the weekends and track days of course. I came up with this idea when I had a 2006 tundra double cab SR5 with the 2uz motor.

I was wondering (without fabrication just drop in) can a 2uz crankshaft work with a 1uz block? I will plan on using the stock 1uz rods and pistons since they're very durable from what I've seen online from side by side comparison. If this can be done only with upgraded rods and pistons is fine also. What I want is this....

1. 1uz aluminum block....(82lbs lighter than 2uz block).

2. 2uz crankshaft....(will bring up displacement).

3. Whichever UZ heads flow better or I'll buy upgrades.

4. Would love to keep the VVT-i....If not I'll live.

5. Obviously I'm going to get upgraded cams as well.

6. If all goes well a single turbo kit......(I love turbo lag)

I love the advantages of the 1UZ motor but I also love the down low torque of the 2uz motor. I know someone already did a 2uz block with 1uz crank for higher reving and greater redline. I just wonder what it would be like to do the opposite.

Also let me be honest that I'm no mechanic of any kind. I don't know how to weld. I simply like working on cars and I know how to turn a wrench. What I don't know I look up. Any honest and sincere responses will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-13, 03:19 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.lextreme.com/2uzfe_block_swap.html

Some info for ya. I'm no expert on block swaps.
Old 04-18-13, 03:54 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the sc430 has a 3uz, displacement is 4.3l i think. So...you could just leave that in there
Old 04-18-13, 06:12 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

it wouldn't really be worth it, 90% of the increase in displacement comes from the bore of the block. IIRC the difference in stroke is 3.25 for the 1uz and 3.3 for the 2uz. basically you would go from 4 (3.95) liters to 4.02 liters. if anything it would lose power due to the extra weights for balancing the bigger pistons from the 2uz.
Old 04-18-13, 06:18 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

also, you said you were going turbo charged... the change compressed piston height would effectively raise the stock compression of 10:1 to 11.6:1 which would be bad for turbocharging.

not to mention, the pistons might hit the cylinder head then.
Old 04-18-13, 10:30 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some forum members with 4.7L blocks that are supercharged or turbocharged. Lextreme is a good place to go to see these builds. www.lextreme.com

There will be more information on that website for extreme v8 builds.
Old 04-18-13, 11:23 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think doing the 2uz block and 1uz heads is the simplest method. I almost went that route but i LOVE the fact my 1uz is non interference. Plus a High revving turbo 4.0 v8 sounds nice. But yeah, the simplest method allows you to retain all your stock wiring and injectors etc... The only difference is the extra weight and going down to 2 bolt mains! But it is iron...should be rock solid still!
Old 04-19-13, 01:28 PM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maynanator
also, you said you were going turbo charged... the change compressed piston height would effectively raise the stock compression of 10:1 to 11.6:1 which would be bad for turbocharging.

not to mention, the pistons might hit the cylinder head then.

That's why I mentioned getting upgraded pistons for that to lower the compression so it's more turbo friendly. But definitely appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-19-13, 01:38 PM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

it wouldn't really be worth it, 90% of the increase in displacement comes from the bore of the block. IIRC the difference in stroke is 3.25 for the 1uz and 3.3 for the 2uz. basically you would go from 4 (3.95) liters to 4.02 liters. if anything it would lose power due to the extra weights for balancing the bigger pistons from the 2uz.

Thanks for your honest opinion. This is just an idea I've had floating around in my head for awhile now. Brain storming basically. Main part of what I really want to do is convert the SC430 into a manual using the R154 I already have with an adapter plate from quantum-auto.com...

I was actually planning on using either upgraded rods and pistons or using earlier model 1UZ rods and pistons since they're forged with good compression ratio for either NA/turbo/NOS fun.
Old 04-19-13, 01:57 PM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Dammit should I just buy the stroker kit and then either NOS or Turbo it.......ahh decisions decisions
Old 04-20-13, 06:53 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

sorry, i totally read that wrong. I thought you said stock rods and pistons. I think you could get away with a used 2uz block with rods from your 1uz (if its an early 1uz 92-94) then some custom dished pistons. that sould be good for 700+ horsepower and would be pretty cheap.
Old 04-22-13, 10:48 AM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

sorry, i totally read that wrong. I thought you said stock rods and pistons. I think you could get away with a used 2uz block with rods from your 1uz (if its an early 1uz 92-94) then some custom dished pistons. that sould be good for 700+ horsepower and would be pretty cheap.
---

Awesome and thanks. I see on lextreme.com a guy did a swap with a 2uz bottom and either 1 or 3uz heads on top for a SC400 (youtube sc470 burnout).. What I'm basically looking for is a poor man's stroker kit. I just wish the 2uz block was aluminum. Granted the SC430 weights almost a 1000lbs less than my '06 tundra SR5 DC (2uz/4.7L) which I recently sold to my father for his business. But that 2uz block will add around 80lbs to the SC430 front end. Gonna need stronger springs. Hope I can still keep it low though. I wanna get just low enough that I can still go up parking garage ramps and not scrape on 18's. Trying not to go with an air ride setup, just coilovers. Though I'm not opposed to 20s.
Old 04-22-13, 07:26 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

i don't think the 80 lbs will be noticeable. It would be the equivalent of a full trunk of luggage vs normal. if you want to lower the compression for turbo/supercharging and still keep the factory 2uz pistons, you could keep the crank from your original motor. that would net about a compression of 8:1 which would handle high boost and cheap fuel well.