Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom SC400 Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 08:04 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom SC400 Engine Mounts

Hey guys, its been a super long time since my last post...... years. Anyway, I am drawing up some new parts for the SC and I thought about the engine mounts I made a while ago and figured I would share the design. I'm not good at posting long posts anymore so Ill make it short and sweet. If you are interested in the solid models I made, email me at ngbogdanos@gmail.com, because if you message me here I may not see it for months... lol.

The reason I made these is because I had some TERRIBLE wheel hop. For anyone with wheel hop and stock engine mounts, this is the MAJORITY of the reason, I promise. You can see the damage to my NEW stock engine mounts.

I made the entire thing myself minus the top half. I drew it all up, gave it to a sheet metal shop, and told them to make that part for me. I welded the stud on the top and pressed in my dowel pin.
Attached Thumbnails Custom SC400 Engine Mounts-img_1039.jpg   Custom SC400 Engine Mounts-mock-up2.jpg   Custom SC400 Engine Mounts-img_0300.jpg   Custom SC400 Engine Mounts-img_0352.jpg  
Old 03-26-13, 08:07 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Here is the rest of it.
Attached Thumbnails Custom SC400 Engine Mounts-img_1044.jpg   Custom SC400 Engine Mounts-img_1045.jpg   Custom SC400 Engine Mounts-img_1047.jpg  
Old 03-26-13, 10:52 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

very nice!
Old 03-27-13, 05:19 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your wheel hop is caused by the super soft differential and rear sub frame bushings, Once I changed mine with polyurethane ones the wheel hop is gone 100%.

These cars are the worst due to the bushings being old and way to soft to begin with.
Old 03-27-13, 06:35 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

xspsi6,

That is what I thought as well, until I replaced every bushing under the car and I still had this issue. It did help some, but it didn't help nearly as much as getting rid of those soft stock engine mounts did.

The reason is because those engine mounts allow the engine to twist, and when the movement in the engine mounts max out, they hit internal metal pieces and this is like a shockwave throughout the whole car. When that happens, you break traction, the engine mounts relax, and then its starts over again with the gain of traction, the flexing of the engine mounts till they max out, then traction breaks again. In my car, the shifter would violently shake when this happened, and I even broke an exhaust hanger. Once I stopped the engine from being able to move like this, the car ran like a completely different beast.

You state that you changed your subframe bushing and differential bushing with polyurethane ones and not aluminum. I have only seen them for sale in aluminum. Where did you buy poly ones? (I made my own out of delrin)

EDIT: Please understand that these are not for sale, I am only willing to share my models with you for free. Everything else is up to you!

Last edited by xirforever; 03-27-13 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Left a note out
Old 03-27-13, 10:27 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xirforever
xspsi6,

That is what I thought as well, until I replaced every bushing under the car and I still had this issue. It did help some, but it didn't help nearly as much as getting rid of those soft stock engine mounts did.

The reason is because those engine mounts allow the engine to twist, and when the movement in the engine mounts max out, they hit internal metal pieces and this is like a shockwave throughout the whole car. When that happens, you break traction, the engine mounts relax, and then its starts over again with the gain of traction, the flexing of the engine mounts till they max out, then traction breaks again. In my car, the shifter would violently shake when this happened, and I even broke an exhaust hanger. Once I stopped the engine from being able to move like this, the car ran like a completely different beast.

You state that you changed your subframe bushing and differential bushing with polyurethane ones and not aluminum. I have only seen them for sale in aluminum. Where did you buy poly ones? (I made my own out of delrin)

EDIT: Please understand that these are not for sale, I am only willing to share my models with you for free. Everything else is up to you!
Aliga sells them here on club lexus, It was such a huge improvement that imo that should be the first thing a lexus owner does with these cars, My 97 sc400 has the stock motor mounts with all of the rubber on the car replaced with a poly bushing and the car handles amazing now and will lay rubber on demand!
So much energy wasted in the stock bushings it's almost unreal
Old 03-27-13, 01:15 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Aliga sells them here on club lexus, It was such a huge improvement that imo that should be the first thing a lexus owner does with these cars, My 97 sc400 has the stock motor mounts with all of the rubber on the car replaced with a poly bushing and the car handles amazing now and will lay rubber on demand!
I found this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ff-mounts.html

But can you link me to some information on Aliga's? I do not like machining poly and I wont if i can find some to buy to replace my delrin ones, they are just too hard i think.
Old 03-27-13, 03:54 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
How much does Aliga charge for them, and how much would a repair shop estimate on the install of them? I don't know much about bushings, or how hard they are to install.
Old 03-27-13, 10:09 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

He charges 130 shipped for the diff bushings ans 200 shipped for the rear sub frame bushings.
Old 03-27-13, 10:15 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xirforever
I found this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ff-mounts.html

But can you link me to some information on Aliga's? I do not like machining poly and I wont if i can find some to buy to replace my delrin ones, they are just too hard i think.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-bushings.html