Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! Braking/Dash problem, car feels weird!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 12:17 PM
crenfro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Braking/Dash problem, car feels weird!

As some of you might have experienced there was a huge winter storm where I live last night.

This morning I was trying to get out of my driveway and of course it took like 5 mins because i have an SC....

ANYWAYS, this afternoon i got in my car and i noticed my parking brake light and TRAC light were on on my dash, my parking brake was not on, and idk how my trac would be on...

Now, my car feels super weird to drive, it literally takes the brake pedal to be all the way down to be able to brake and the accelerator is super touchy. This is kind of scaring me especially in these conditions!

Someone please help!
Old 03-06-13, 01:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

thread moved to correct section.

this ones hard to tell without checking but def sounds like a brake issue, you probably want to start with a visual check make sure there are no ruptures/leaks in any of the lines, check the fluid level is not low also.
may need to check the parking brake cable make sure nothing wierd happened, if its the parking brake light thats on. not sure if a seized caliper would set that off but its a possible brake issue.
Old 03-06-13, 02:08 PM
crenfro
Driver

Well I think I may have found the solution. I went and checked the brake fluid level and its literally about an inch below the minimum line!! I honestly don't know how it got so low besides maybe it was from this morning will traction was kicking in for like 5 minutes while i spun my tires.

Im just going to fill it up and see what happens!

Also, I don't understand why the trac and brake lights would come on, do they always do this when brake fluid is low? Or could something else also be messed up?
Old 03-06-13, 07:35 PM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the fluid is low the light will come on cause you dont want to run the master cylinder dry cause ur pads r probably toast and u will get air in the system and can really affect ur braking
Old 03-06-13, 08:07 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no reason for the brake fluid to be low unless you have an issue. You either have a leak in a line or a caliper that is distended. You have likely NOT fixed the issue.
Old 03-06-13, 08:23 PM
crenfro
Driver

Originally Posted by lookEVO
There is no reason for the brake fluid to be low unless you have an issue. You either have a leak in a line or a caliper that is distended. You have likely NOT fixed the issue.
Would traction control maybe be a cause to this issue? Because this morning while I was trying to get out of my driveway with all the snow my traction control was kicking in and my tires were spinning for a couple minutes and I know traction uses brakes so idk if this might be a cause.

But for sure tomorrow once my car dries I am going to check all the brake lines for leaks and so forth.
Old 03-06-13, 09:57 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple answer... no.