Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

time to re do my exhaust...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 09:20 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time to re do my exhaust...HELP!!!

So my stock cat is hollow and I have emissions coming up which is a pain with the way the 93 cat/exhaust is set up. Now digging through my parents garage there is a magnaflow "universal cat and a couple mufflers.

Question is how much custom work would be involved in redoing the exhaust to accommodate the magnaflow cat?
Old 03-05-13, 10:13 PM
scmaluco
Driver

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
So my stock cat is hollow and I have emissions coming up which is a pain with the way the 93 cat/exhaust is set up. Now digging through my parents garage there is a magnaflow "universal cat and a couple mufflers.

Question is how much custom work would be involved in redoing the exhaust to accommodate the magnaflow cat?
Cut and weld. if you can do it and have the tools great if not gotta pay someone.. doesn't get any easier.. do yourself a favor and put a flange on it. easier to remove it later
Old 03-05-13, 10:38 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have them installed they are just hollow, dont even bother. Youll pass the visual inspection... the guys that do that stuff are idiots... I dont even have cats and they didnt notice.

Do what I do to pass... have 2 gallons of 91 or whatever premium is there left in the tank... then get 3ish gallons of e85 and go drive highways speeds for about 20 minutes, right before you go test. You should probably pass, and if you dont, if NM is like CO, you get a free retest. Then maybe get your cats sorted... but ive done that trick for years on cars and it works well.
Old 03-06-13, 08:17 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Ah...I need to update that...nm was easy. I moved to utah though and thier safety and emissions is ridiculous. I am still trying to find a place with a few people to pass my tinted windows...yes, that bad.
Old 03-06-13, 09:58 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regardless, unless they physically look inside your cat, youll be fine.
Old 04-02-13, 06:54 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

So I had new cars and some Megan knock offs welded in. Just gotta get the resonators replaced with normal pipe and I should be good
Old 04-03-13, 03:28 PM
Uwan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lookEVO
If you still have them installed they are just hollow, dont even bother. Youll pass the visual inspection... the guys that do that stuff are idiots... I dont even have cats and they didnt notice.

Do what I do to pass... have 2 gallons of 91 or whatever premium is there left in the tank... then get 3ish gallons of e85 and go drive highways speeds for about 20 minutes, right before you go test. You should probably pass, and if you dont, if NM is like CO, you get a free retest. Then maybe get your cats sorted... but ive done that trick for years on cars and it works well.
Why does this help?