Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

first na-t build

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 05:47 AM
2jForce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first na-t build

I have a fully stock 99 sc300 trying to go na-t what should be done first tranny ? Or build up the engine?
Old 10-22-12, 10:08 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

have you built one before
Old 10-22-12, 03:26 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you need to do alot of research and list all your power goals and things that are important to have and not have.
you have a vvti motor, which means that your bottom end is not as strong as non-vvti so you will be limited in the power you can make. You probably have an auto trans on that 99, so that limits how much power you can make as well.
that being said you can still put together a nice na-t setup that will bring the car alive, but you wont be breaking any records without working on those issues, plus engine management can be a concern when it comes to running vvti motors and especially if it needs to pass emissions still (not a track car).
please do some research, post up more info, and then the knowledgeble people here will help you out with the specifics.
Welcome to CL.
Old 10-28-12, 08:04 PM
carsmypnis
Driver

you can run about 8 pounds max because of the high compression and weaker internals. if you dont plan on going past that i say put a tranny cooler on and have some fun. if you want more power you will have to get non vvti ge internals or gte internals and a better transmission
Old 10-29-12, 10:00 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"How to NA-T" for the new guy, by Spoolxexo.

1.Get suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, update all the bushings.

2.Drive it like that and have fun with it.

3.Then drop a couple bucks on a LSD rear diff, then find an Aristo GTE ECU.

4.Learn wiring, and install GTE ECU. Get it running in N/A.

5.Then, and only then install a Fuel pump, and a turbo kit which will runs flawlessly because you have a 2jzgte computer running everything.

6.Go out, almost kill yourself, and nearly crap your pants from double the power you have ever experienced on the street.

7.Report back, and show us all the awesome videos!
Old 10-29-12, 12:12 PM
2jForce
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexforlife
have you built one before
Noo never first na-t build but I'm on a budget so I'm thinking twice before doing this I wanna have a reliable car I've had my sc for 6months now all stock 71k miles but it looks very expensive to build
Old 10-29-12, 04:09 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its only expensive if you fail to do your reasearch..... I had my sc for 3 years before even buying my first turbo part. And becaue of that i have spent quit a bit less and achieved alot more than most.

Definetely go over all the small inexpensive (but important) parts of the car while researching turbo. I.E bushings, engine + trans mounts, gaskets, 02 sensors, tps sensors etc.
ensure your sc is 110% before boosting and it will save you alot of troubleshooting headache in the end
Always research and develop with an end goal in mind. Id say a realistic goal of 300-350 hp will keep you plenty happy while you research the next stage of your build.
Old 10-29-12, 05:47 PM
standpipe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the search button next time before starting a new thread...