Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY: Install Metal Interior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 03:13 PM
DriftSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY: Install Metal Interior Door Handles

So, I have had my SC for just under 18 months and I have had to tear apart both doors to replace the interior handles. In my defense, I purchased the car with a broken passenger side handle, and recently I picked up my car from a tire shop with a broken driver side handle (they will remain un-named since they funded this conversion). After a bit of searching, I discovered that other Lexus handles will fit the interiors of our cars, but failed to find a proper DIY tutorial on the installation, so here we go.

Required Items:
New Door Handles

Known to work: 1989 - 2000 LS400, front or back handles
Believed to fit: 1998 - 2005 GS300
(I received mine from a 1995 - 2000 LS400)
Philips #2 Screwdriver
8mm socket/wrench
Dremel (or other small rotary grinding tool)
Hammer
Nail or screw
Pliers
Lighter

Step 1: Remove the Door Panel

First, remove the window switches by lifting up on the front of the plastic piece they are housed in. Once the front is free, slide the unit forward to allow the back to come out. Disconnect the two wire connectors from underneath the unit.

You can now disconnect the door light if you have small hands, or else you can push it out from through the hole where the window switches were, and disconnect the wires once it is out of the door panel.

There are a total of eight (8) screws that must come out of the door panel (They can be removed with either the 8mm socket or the #2 Philips . There are two (hidden under little plastic domes, I pry these out with the end of my key) at the front of the door panel by the door hinges. There are three along the bottom edge of the door panel. There are two more just underneath the armrest, and one inside the door handle. To access the last one, use a flat head screwdriver or your key to slide just in front of the lock switch, just above the handle, and pry outwards. The plastic behind the door handle will come loose and expose the final screw.

Grab one of the bottom corners of the door panel and pull slowly, working our way across the bottom of the door panel and then up the sides to disconnect all of the pressure clips which hold the panel onto the door itself. Once all of these are all disconnected, you can slide the door panel down about a half inch to release the top of the door panel. Do not drop the door panel yet!

Disconnect everything else. Both Doors: disconnect the lock cable and the door release cable. Pry the plastic connectors out of the back of the door handle and then pull the cable directly out of the door panel, and slide the end of the cable up and out of the respective lock/handle. Driver Door: Remove the wires connecting to the seat memory buttons!

You have now successfully removed the door panel!

Step 2: Remove the Door Handle Assembly

This step is relatively easy. You need to remove the four (4) 8mm nuts from the corners of the back of the door handle assembly. The door handle assembly will now come out of the door panel. Set the door panel aside.

Step 3: Remove the Handle from the Assembly

Remove the plastic housing from the door handle assembly by pulling it from the metal at the side of the handle with the lock switch, pull this side away and then remove the other side.

Now its time to get the Dremel out. There is a pin that starts above the lock switch and goes through the door handle. On the SC, this is a giant rivet and the bottom (not the top!) must be ground down. Take out the dremel and grind the end of the rivet off, like so:

Now, use the hammer and a nail to tap the rivet out of the door handle assembly.

Remove the rivet, and the door handle and spring, but you can leave the lock switch in place.

Step 4: Disassemble the Metal Handle

Again, use the hammer and nail (I actually found the rivet from the SC handle to be easier for this than the nail) to tap the pin out of the metal handle. If you hit it hard enough, you can remove the pressure clip at the same time.

This is the clip that you must remove:

These are the parts that you must keep:

Step 5: Grind the SC handle assembly

There is a little edge on the metal back of the SC handle assembly which I am assuming is used to keep the spring in place. I have had no issues grinding this tab flat to get the proper amount of handle pull from the new metal handle. The other option is to grind down the handle where this meets the tab on the SC.

Note the shiny part area where that tab used to be:

Step 6: Adjust the Plastic clip on the Metal Handle

To do this you will need a set of pliers and a lighter. Use the pliers to apply pressure to the plastic clip on the metal handle, and use the lighter to heat up the plastic clip. The objective is to close the side of the clip to prevent the escape of the door handle cable when everything is installed.

Note the purple clip just to the left of the flame (it is already bent into shape in this picture!)

Step 7: Assembly of the handle assembly

Assemble the Metal Handle in the stock SC housing with the stock SC lock switch. Use the pin from the new handle (the pin that uses the pressure clip to hold it in place), and slide it into the SC housing, through both white/yellow plastic sliders in the lock switch, and into the Door handle. This is a bit of a puzzle to get everything lined up, including the spring, but it is do-able.

Install the retaining pressure clip.

Locate the rubber stop that is preventing the handle from closing all the way. Remove this (Mine was very brittle and fell out easily). This will greatly reduce the amount of grinding necessary. You will not be able to install the plastic cover over onto the front of the handle assembly yet.

Step 8: Grinding!!!

Break out the dremel again. You must grind off the top portion of the new pin that you installed to hold the handle in place. Everything above the flat piece of the pin must go.

After Grinding:

Grind down the bottom of the pin so that it extends just past the end of the retaining pressure clip.

Test fit the handle in the plastic housing. Notice that the handle still extends just past flush.

Do some more grinding on the metal handle lever (on the flat piece that contacts where the rubber bump stop used to be). Test fit and repeat as necessary.

This is the area you must grind down (picture taken before grinding or assembly):

The area of the handle that must be ground down:

More Grinding:

Finished!

Install the plastic housing, install handle assembly in door panel, and install door panel in the car.

Step 9: Admire work and feel accomplished.

My Buddy with his new handle!

Last edited by DriftSC; 09-22-12 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures....
The following users liked this post:
StoneBeige (07-09-18)
Old 09-12-12, 03:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Good job!

Added to sticky thread at top of forum.
Old 09-12-12, 07:04 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, great job man. I know a ton of people will enjoy this fix/mod.
Old 09-12-12, 07:41 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yeah! Thanks for the write-up and the extensive pics. Time to hit the salvage yard & pick up some metal handles for the conversion(and buy some more cutoff wheels for the dremel).
Old 09-21-12, 05:17 AM
MrViggers
Driver School Candidate

thanks alot just did this diy love it!!!
Old 09-21-12, 05:53 AM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

What a great write up!! Very detailed DIY, You sir are a winner! Will be doing this in the near future!!
Old 09-21-12, 07:30 AM
thm8d
Pole Position

OMG! I must say, one of the BEST DIY that I've came across haha. Detailed picture, step by step. Thank you for the DIY, I had the EXACT same situation as you, except mine came with a broken drivers side haha
Old 09-21-12, 07:42 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wasn't there one of these threads already just a few weeks ago?

Regardless, job well done man. Nice pictures and instructions....
Old 09-21-12, 07:42 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What a great write-up!

I remember a while ago, someone said they used LS400 chrome door handles?

I also noticed on my 01 ES300, it has chrome interior handles. Something that Lexus did on the last batch of the ES300s for 2001. I wonder if those could work too...they look the same in shape and size at first glance. I wonder if those are metal even.
Old 09-21-12, 09:19 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Wow!! Props to you for even attempting this, and even more for following though and making it work! Looks amazing!!!

Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-22-12, 11:22 PM
DriftSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Good job!

Added to sticky thread at top of forum.
Thank you O.L.T.! In my opinion, this is the measure of greatness!

Originally Posted by MrViggers
thanks alot just did this diy love it!!!
I'm glad that the DIY helped you to successfully upgrade your car!

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Wasn't there one of these threads already just a few weeks ago?
I know that there are a few other threads on CL that reference this mod, but the pictures and instructions were lacking, so I started a proper DIY thread with plenty of pictures and detailed instructions at the top of the page to help others with the retrofit.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I remember a while ago, someone said they used LS400 chrome door handles?

I also noticed on my 01 ES300, it has chrome interior handles. Something that Lexus did on the last batch of the ES300s for 2001. I wonder if those could work too...they look the same in shape and size at first glance. I wonder if those are metal even.
I used the LS400 handles for my conversion, and I would love to update the first post with a list of door handles that definitely work for this mod. I would imagine that the chrome colored handles are in fact metal, but try pulling on the handle and see if it flexes like the stock SC handles do. ClubLexus, please let me know either by posting here or through a PM which handles you used and if there were any differences from the LS400 handles shown here to keep the information on this mod in one place!

Originally Posted by scoobySC3
Wow!! Props to you for even attempting this, and even more for following though and making it work! Looks amazing!!!
Thank you very much, I am happy to have door handles that work in my car, and my friend (pictured above) is also very happy with them. I cannot take credit for the idea, but only for the pictures and instructions. Its always nice to have options

Keep modifying, and let me know which handles you started with!

Last edited by DriftSC; 09-23-12 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-01-12, 06:56 PM
RayOnBoost
Driver School Candidate

just did mine... great mod! i just gotta get over seeing the chrome
Old 11-01-12, 08:43 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Very nice touch! Post pics of completed interior showing the door handles
Old 11-02-12, 10:50 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clean and made of metal! adds bling to the interior. i may do this in the future.
Old 11-12-12, 05:11 PM
Wangan_sc
Rookie

So how did you go about attaching the new handle to the cable?
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (04-28-22)

Quick Reply: DIY: Install Metal Interior Door Handles