Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 06:04 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scmaluco
Any updates? Videos?
The valve body mod has been done. The only thing is that a plastic piece fell out of the valve body and my installer has no clue where it goes. So he's going to read the service manual to see what this plastic piece is. If anyone can help that would be great. I think I remember reading about this plastic piece falling out on another forum. Car will be ready on Monday hopefully.

This is a very good video that shows you how to get to the valvebody. At the 3 minute mark in the video it explains what is going to fall out of your valvebody once the cover is off. This video helped my installer identify which plastic piece fell out of the valvebody.

Before I found this video I registered to the TIS website to get the SC400 service repair manual (to figure out what that plastic piece that fell out was). It's only $15 for a 2 day subscription. I was able to download the entire service manual in 2-3 hours by manually clicking on 722 files... what fun! Beats paying for a used service manual on ebay that costs $200 and not even up to date.

Last edited by Clean400; 10-20-12 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-03-12, 06:18 PM
scmaluco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean400
The valve body mod has been done. The only thing is that a plastic piece fell out of the valve body and my installer has no clue where it goes. So he's going to read the service manual to see what this plastic piece is. If anyone can help that would be great. I think I remember reading about this plastic piece falling out on another forum. Car will be ready on Monday hopefully.

This is a very good video that shows you how to get to the valvebody. At the 3 minute mark in the video it explains what is going to fall out of your valvebody once the cover is off. This video helped my installer identify which plastic piece fell out of the valvebody.

Before I found this video I registered to the TIS website to get the SC400 service repair manual (to figure out what that plastic piece that fell out was). It's only $15 for a 2 day subscription. I was able to download the entire service manual in 2-3 hours by manually clicking on 722 files... what fun! Beats paying for a used service manual on ebay that costs $200 and not even up to date.

so hows your car running with this mod?? any updates??
Old 11-03-12, 07:31 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scmaluco
Any updates? Videos?
Yes a few updates actually. Almost done the install.

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-7ycsp.jpg

This is some key information to modifying the Valve body.

Name:  l2kJD.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  348.8 KB

It shows exactly where to drill and what sizes to enlarge the holes. There is Truck and Hotrod settings. I chose Hot Rod.

The Transgo Kit works great except this part was supposed to be a replacement for the stock part

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-c4bxh.jpg

This was the stock part.

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-vcs3u.jpg

This specific part of the transmission does not provide any performance benefit. So it doesn't matter anyways. It controlled Shifting to Park or something, I don't know the name I'll research it later.

And I had originally bought Transgo Gaskets. The stock a340e gasket it metal however and can be re-used. I'm going to be re-using the stock metal gasket on my transmission. That's what has been drilled. If it leaks I'll put the Transgo Gaskets, one on either side of the stock metal gasket. Transgo support was great and they advised that I could run without gaskets because it's metal, as did my installer.

So far I have nothing but praise for Transgo. Can't wait to get my car back! I bought new wheels too. I'm going to need people's opinions on them. I bought some TRD T-3 Wheels bronze, made for a Supra TT. Except it wasn't a full set though, I just have the rear wheels. 18x9.5 x 38 offset. I just had to have these rims. Eventually I will complete the set for the fronts. For now I will be running some Racing Hart wheels in the front, which are at least Bronze but not the same design.

I also posted this in some other thread's but I thought I'd add it here. This will be my transmission build.

The cheapest way to have a built auto, and the path I'm currently going.,

Stage 1 (340whp possibly more depending on use)
Torque Converter (Lextreme $229)
Transgo Shift Kit $100
4th Solenoid ECU mod (free)
Tranny Cooler $80

$500 + shipping + install cost

Stage 2 (340whp but fully rebuilt besides 2nd gear sprag. Some people could push more but 2nd gear sprag could eventually blow. I would just run Stage 1 until' transmission blows but that's just me lol.)
All of the above plus+
Red Alto High Performance Rebuild Kit (Full A340E Rebuild kit $400)

$400 + shipping + install cost

Stage 3 (500whp-900whp... now you've eliminated the weak point in the transmission have fun. Lextreme Torque Converter good for 600bhp. Use other torque converter if going for more power)
ATF 2nd Gear Sprag ($825)
http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....alt2o0h10fkan3

$825 + shipping + install cost

Roughly $1700+ shipping + installation.
Unless you are going to be pushing over 340whp, you don't need the 2nd gear sprag.

And if you want to jazz it up you can throw in a Suprastick auto ecu controller for $375, buy a GS400 steering wheel or IS250 steering wheel with paddles to shfit it.

If you want the cadillac of auto controllers apparently this one is great. TCM-2000. $750.
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...anscontrol.php

Don't forget Clutch LSD or Torsen while your at it. If you're doing high HP might as well put a fan on the transmission cooler.

I just purchased the Suprastick, IS250 Steering & GS400 Steering wheel (if I use the IS250 I lose the airbag, so unsure which one to put), Torsen Diff from 95 N/A Supra 4.08 gears, Edge Racing Torque Converter 2800rpm stall.

Last edited by Clean400; 11-03-12 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 09:40 PM
2jpowa
Driver

I had this in my 2v 99 mustang gt with a tuner and it would bark 2nd gear quarter thorttle while just cruising from a read light lol I loved it
Old 11-04-12, 10:32 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes a few updates actually. Almost done the install.

This is some key information to modifying the Valve body.

It shows exactly where to drill and what sizes to enlarge the holes. There is Truck and Hotrod settings. I chose Hot Rod.

The Transgo Kit works great except this part was supposed to be a replacement for the stock part

This was the stock part.

This specific part of the transmission does not provide any performance benefit. So it doesn't matter anyways. It controlled Shifting to Park or something, I don't know the name I'll research it later.

And I had originally bought Transgo Gaskets. The stock a340e gasket it metal however and can be re-used. I'm going to be re-using the stock metal gasket on my transmission. That's what has been drilled. If it leaks I'll put the Transgo Gaskets, one on either side of the stock metal gasket. Transgo support was great and they advised that I could run without gaskets because it's metal, as did my installer.

So far I have nothing but praise for Transgo. Can't wait to get my car back! I bought new wheels too. I'm going to need people's opinions on them. I bought some TRD T-3 Wheels bronze, made for a Supra TT. Except it wasn't a full set though, I just have the rear wheels. 18x9.5 x 38 offset. I just had to have these rims. Eventually I will complete the set for the fronts. For now I will be running some Racing Hart wheels in the front, which are at least Bronze but not the same design.

I also posted this in some other thread's but I thought I'd add it here. This will be my transmission build.

The cheapest way to have a built auto, and the path I'm currently going.,

Stage 1 (340whp possibly more depending on use)
Torque Converter (Lextreme $229)
Transgo Shift Kit $100
4th Solenoid ECU mod (free)
Tranny Cooler $80

$500 + shipping + install cost

Stage 2 (340whp but fully rebuilt besides 2nd gear sprag. Some people could push more but 2nd gear sprag could eventually blow. I would just run Stage 1 until' transmission blows but that's just me lol.)
All of the above plus+
Red Alto High Performance Rebuild Kit (Full A340E Rebuild kit $400)

$400 + shipping + install cost

Stage 3 (500whp-900whp... now you've eliminated the weak point in the transmission have fun. Lextreme Torque Converter good for 600bhp. Use other torque converter if going for more power)
ATF 2nd Gear Sprag ($825)
http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....alt2o0h10fkan3

$825 + shipping + install cost

Roughly $1700+ shipping + installation.
Unless you are going to be pushing over 340whp, you don't need the 2nd gear sprag.

And if you want to jazz it up you can throw in a Suprastick auto ecu controller for $375, buy a GS400 steering wheel or IS250 steering wheel with paddles to shfit it.

If you want the cadillac of auto controllers apparently this one is great. TCM-2000. $750.
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...anscontrol.php

Don't forget Clutch LSD or Torsen while your at it. If you're doing high HP might as well put a fan on the transmission cooler.

I just purchased the Suprastick, IS250 Steering & GS400 Steering wheel (if I use the IS250 I lose the airbag, so unsure which one to put), Torsen Diff from 95 N/A Supra 4.08 gears, Edge Racing Torque Converter 2800rpm stall.
I wasnt aware the n/a supra came with a torsen? interesting.

Cant wait to hear a review, i plan on going suprastick with a fat trans cooler. might go with a shift kit too.
Old 11-04-12, 10:37 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sj408
I wasnt aware the n/a supra came with a torsen? interesting.

Cant wait to hear a review, i plan on going suprastick with a fat trans cooler. might go with a shift kit too.
It was an optional feature on N/A Supra's. Mine came off a JDM 5 Speed Supra. I had the shop open up two diffs before getting lucky and finding a Torsen in a JDM 5 Speed of all places (pretty rare). The shop owner was pretty pissed I had him open two diffs but better to check then to be sold an open diff!

I received the Suprastick yesterday. Should be fun with the paddleshifters!

My installer is going to try to fit the modified valvebody back on the car today. I'm also going to put on the new wheels. I'll post back later.

So the wheels were fitted. Transmission should be ready by Tuesday... lol I know I keep giving dates that fly by but that is the new date.

I'm not too sure about the fronts lol. The rears look sick though. The color combination really pops.

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-ygypll.jpg
Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-i6fvql.jpg
Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-aw9ukl.jpg
Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-1qagbl.jpg

Last edited by Clean400; 11-05-12 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-14-12, 09:12 PM
scmaluco
Driver

is your car running yet??

whats going on ?
Old 11-14-12, 09:24 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for update as well.
Old 11-15-12, 04:21 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

My installer''s work truck broke down. All his tools are in his trailer... he's getting his transmission fixed on his truck then as soon as that's done he can work on my car. I'm really anxious to get my car back and I'll post a video as the mod is done. Sorry to keep everyone on hold. Luckily I have two SC400's or I would be going crazy not having my car for this long! lol

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-87ytel.jpg

The one with the stock wheels is my second SC400... I don't even think I believe myself when I say I bought it for $600... it's super clean too. No rust... the stock phone even works...

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.-uwt1vl.jpg

Everything works on it. Even the stock nakimichi sound system. The guy gave me receipts for $5000 in repair bills over the last 2 years. He sold it because he bought a new Lexus. He sold it so cheap because the car's brakes didn't work anymore. It was just a rusted brake line because the car sat in the same place for a few months. The only thing that's wrong with the car is a tiny exhaust leak, probably need new gaskets for the catalytic converters. Also the windshield wiper jet motor doesn't work, which reminds me I need to order one.

The stock lip is even in one piece!

Little Update: 02/12/12

Everything in the transmission is back in. Bought a new transmission filter from NAPA. You can re-use the transmission filter because it's metal but since it's 20 years old my tuner suggested to change it. Put a new gasket on the pan. The only thing left is to connect the tube that goes from the pan to the dipstick (I think that's why my installer was having trouble with). Bought a case of T4 Toyota transmission fluid. It was cold and rainy and my installer said he'd finish the work by Tuesday. So all that's left is to fill it up!

Last edited by Clean400; 12-02-12 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-05-12, 03:01 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Good news everyone! It worked!!!!!

My installer drove it around the block and said it shifted nice fast and harsh just like I wanted.

I don't have time to pick up my car until' Saturday because it's my last week of University and my finals are on Friday.

So time to study and celebrate by driving hard on Saturday. I'll record a vid Saturday.

Transgo HD-2 Shift kit a success!
Old 12-05-12, 08:14 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Good news, I will be buying one!
Old 12-05-12, 08:30 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Good news, I will be buying one!
Nice good to hear! Is it going to be for a 5 speed auto? I saw you have a 97 in your sig, I'm not sure it it was 97 or 98 that the VVTI model came out with the 5 speed auto. Just saying because this mod doesn't work with the 5 speed autobox only the 4 speed.

I think this should be one of the first mods people should do to their autobox before going forced induction. It's not expensive, makes the car faster and will make the transmission last longer.

Things you'll need to do this mod
  • Transmission Pan Gasket ( I bought mine from Red Alto but you can buy it anywhere. I bought the full A340 gasket kit from Red Alto but you can just order the trans pan gasket seperately).
  • 12 Liters of TIV Automatic Transmission Fluid (You can buy this direct form Toyota. Mobil 3309 is also 100% identical. Don't buy anything else besides Toyota T4 ATF or Mobil 3309. Toyota T4 was cheaper for me, but if you can get Mobil 3309 for cheaper it's the same thing)

Edit: I just counted the amount of bottles I used. I used 7 bottles. So you don't necessarily need a full case but you might as well.

Optional:
  • Transmission Filter I bought the ATP Transmission Filter. I got mine at NAPA but I think I could have got a better price online. The stock filter is metal and can be cleaned with brake cleaner. However I would recommend changing it while you already have the transmission open. The stock filter, even though is metal is 20 years old. Might as well buy a new filter. The filter is not expensive ranging from $20-$60. I bought the ATP one over another brand because the other brand was rumored to use a Cork style gasket (Wix). I'm not sure if it was true or not for the A340 filter they make, but the Wix filter was considerably cheaper. I decided not to take the chance and bought the ATP. I'm sure there are other good brands too.
  • Valve Body Gaskets (1 for on top and 1 on the bottom of the stock metal valve body gasket plate) You don't necessarily need this because it's metal on metal so no gasket is needed. Up to you if you want to put them or not. I didn't. I'll just put them if my transmission starts leaking. You can get a gasket kit from Trasngo which includes every valve body gasket for every model of A340 transmission that exists. The Red Alto complete A340 gasket kit also comes with the valve body gaskets (you can also just order the valve body gaskets separately from them).

Last edited by Clean400; 04-04-13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 09:02 PM
scmaluco
Driver

Good news everyone! It worked!!!!!

My installer drove it around the block and said it shifted nice fast and harsh just like I wanted.

I don't have time to pick up my car until' Saturday because it's my last week of University and my finals are on Friday.

So time to study and celebrate by driving hard on Saturday. I'll record a vid Saturday.

Transgo HD-2 Shift kit a success!
good to hear it worked out... can't wait to see that video .
Old 12-09-12, 02:19 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

It was raining out so I couldn't stay full throttle without losing traction. The car feels like a different animal with the shift kit. When full throttle you dont lose acceleration when it shifts, under full throttle when it shifts the car gets sideways. It was kind of scary/fun driving with the shift kit in the rain. You feel and know every time the car makes a gear change now, even at low throttle. Not too jerky or anything still remains comfortable but you definitely lose the luxury feeling of smooth shifting. I didn't even have the 4th solenoid off, I'll need to try that later ( I have it on a switch). Hopefully the roads get dry soon so I can make a proper video. Overall I really like the mod, huge difference in shifting and makes the car feel much sportier/faster. Dangerous in wet weather if you gun it though! It reminds me if someone shifted manual without letting off the throttle, but even faster than anyone could possibly ever shift.

Sorry for the craptacular vid I'll try to make another. My phone died while filming it, I was going to try to film some more.

Last edited by Clean400; 12-09-12 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-09-12, 09:18 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Clean400;7635819]Nice good to hear! Is it going to be for a 5 speed auto? I saw you have a 97 in your sig, I'm not sure it it was 97 or 98 that the VVTI model came out with the 5 speed auto. Just saying because this mod doesn't work with the 5 speed autobox only the 4 speed.QUOTE]

I ordered 2 of the kits just yesterday so 1 for my SC400 v-8 and one for my 2jzgte trans that will be going in with my swap so I just wan't to try one out on my 400 which is going to be my test bed also it's a 4 speed I think 98 is when they switched to the 5 spd auto.

I have a few minor mods to my sc400 trans such as 2 trans coolers and the 4th sol on a switch and that made a good deal of improvement already so I will report back with my results as soon as I get a chance to put them in!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.