Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 02:25 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.

Update to first Post:

Things you'll need to do this mod
  • Transmission Pan Gasket ( I bought mine from Red Alto but you can buy it anywhere. I bought the full A340 gasket kit from Red Alto but you can just order the trans pan gasket seperately).
  • 12 Liters of TIV Automatic Transmission Fluid (You can buy this direct form Toyota. Mobil 3309 is also 100% identical. Don't buy anything else besides Toyota T4 ATF or Mobil 3309. Toyota T4 was cheaper for me, but if you can get Mobil 3309 for cheaper it's the same thing)

Edit: I just counted the amount of bottles I used. I used 7 bottles. So you don't necessarily need a full case but you might as well.

Optional:
  • Transmission Filter I bought the ATP Transmission Filter. I got mine at NAPA but I think I could have got a better price online. The stock filter is metal and can be cleaned with brake cleaner. However I would recommend changing it while you already have the transmission open. The stock filter, even though is metal is 20 years old. Might as well buy a new filter. The filter is not expensive ranging from $20-$60. I bought the ATP one over another brand because the other brand was rumored to use a Cork style gasket (Wix). I'm not sure if it was true or not for the A340 filter they make, but the Wix filter was considerably cheaper. I decided not to take the chance and bought the ATP. I'm sure there are other good brands too.
  • Valve Body Gaskets (1 for on top and 1 on the bottom of the stock metal valve body gasket plate) You don't necessarily need this because it's metal on metal so no gasket is needed. Up to you if you want to put them or not. I didn't. I'll just put them if my transmission starts leaking. You can get a gasket kit from Trasngo which includes every valve body gasket for every model of A340 transmission that exists. The Red Alto complete A340 gasket kit also comes with the valve body gaskets (you can also just order the valve body gaskets separately from them).

This mod changed the whole dynamic of the stock auto transmission and I highly recommend it!

Old First Post:

Just received my Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit in the mail. It cost me roughly $130. I heard good things about Transgo from other forums.

http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes

It's a kit that you use to modify your valve body in your automatic transmission. From my understanding you have to drill new holes in your valve body. It also comes with new springs and ball bearings.

The Transgo kit should make the auto shift faster and firmer. This is exactly what I need for my nitrous install. Once this is in I'll try out a 125 shot to see if it solves the issues people were having with the auto not shifting fast enough when using this high of a nitrous shot.

I already did the 4th solenoid ECU mod for the transmission that eliminates smooth shifts and launches and it definitely makes a difference.

This is a good video showing a Transgo install on an A340 tranny.
Except for they screwed it up which makes me kind of scared!

Anyways let me know your experiences with the Transgo kit on the a340. I searched the forums and it seems no one has used this kit on an sc400 yet... or just didn't post about it. If this works it could be a cheaper alternative to the more expensive $600 shift kits that are offered.

There is also a guy on the supramania that offers a valve body rebuild. I emailed him and and he said he could do the SC400 transmission as well. His price is very competitive. http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ation-services

Anyways my installer is going to take care of this install for me. I'll come back with feedback after it's installed. My only worry with this Transgo Kit is that the a340 is used in a wide range of vehicles (even jeeps) so I'm wondering if this will be an upgrade at all for our SC400's.

Last edited by Clean400; 07-17-13 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 06:38 PM
scmaluco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean400
Just received my Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit in the mail. It cost me roughly $130. I heard good things about Transgo from other forums.

http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes

It's a kit that you use to modify your valve body in your automatic transmission. From my understanding you have to drill new holes in your valve body. It also comes with new springs and ball bearings.

The Transgo kit should make the auto shift faster and firmer. This is exactly what I need for my nitrous install. Once this is in I'll try out a 125 shot to see if it solves the issues people were having with the auto not shifting fast enough when using this high of a nitrous shot.

I already did the 4th solenoid ECU mod for the transmission that eliminates smooth shifts and launches and it definitely makes a difference.

This is a good video showing a Transgo install on an A340 tranny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxI7a532n5Q Except for they screwed it up which makes me kind of scared!

Anyways let me know your experiences with the Transgo kit on the a340. I searched the forums and it seems no one has used this kit on an sc400 yet... or just didn't post about it. If this works it could be a cheaper alternative to the more expensive $600 shift kits that are offered.

There is also a guy on the supramania that offers a valve body rebuild. I emailed him and and he said he could do the SC400 transmission as well. His price is very competitive. http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ation-services

Anyways my installer is going to take care of this install for me. I'll come back with feedback after it's installed. My only worry with this Transgo Kit is that the a340 is used in a wide range of vehicles (even jeeps) so I'm wondering if this will be an upgrade at all for our SC400's.
There's a thread on supramania/supraforum that has a DIY on this.pages and pages of info on this. just add shims and you're good... that simple. i thought i saved it but i guess not.
Old 09-04-12, 08:11 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scmaluco
There's a thread on supramania/supraforum that has a DIY on this.pages and pages of info on this. just add shims and you're good... that simple. i thought i saved it but i guess not.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ers-take-a-nap)

Yeah this is the DIY you're referring to. Except the DIY doesn't explain how to modify the valvebody this Transgo Kit does.
Old 09-10-12, 07:46 AM
scmaluco
Driver

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ers-take-a-nap)

Yeah this is the DIY you're referring to. Except the DIY doesn't explain how to modify the valvebody this Transgo Kit does.
Have you installed your kit yet? Was it worth the moneyz? If so you should post a video of the car in action . And I thought that just by upgrading the springs on the valve body would be enough ....
Old 09-10-12, 01:27 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Have you installed your kit yet? Was it worth the moneyz? If so you should post a video of the car in action . And I thought that just by upgrading the springs on the valve body would be enough ....
I actually brought it to my installer today to get it done and I forgot that I had to buy valve body gaskets! DOH.

So now I'm googling what parts I need.

I called Lexus and they said I need these two parts.

Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 7107
Size:  37.8 KB

I'm gonna keep searching and see if those are the parts I really need. Then I'll order.

Going to be waiting on the gaskets to arrive which will take at least a week. So I'll be getting it done sometime next week. Definitely will keep you posted.

I also bought another SC400 1993 for winter! So I can maybe even race my car against it to see the difference lol.
Old 09-11-12, 11:17 AM
scmaluco
Driver

I actually brought it to my installer today to get it done and I forgot that I had to buy valve body gaskets! DOH.

So now I'm googling what parts I need.

I called Lexus and they said I need these two parts.

I'm gonna keep searching and see if those are the parts I really need. Then I'll order.

Going to be waiting on the gaskets to arrive which will take at least a week. So I'll be getting it done sometime next week. Definitely will keep you posted.

I also bought another SC400 1993 for winter! So I can maybe even race my car against it to see the difference lol.

ill be checking it regularly ... good luck with the parts you need.
Old 09-12-12, 01:43 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

So I called Lexus to order the Valve Body and this time I gave him my serial number for my car and he wasn't even sure now what parts the gaskets were (before he just searched by model year). He gave me some photos to figure it out by myself but I didn't want to take any chances.

Inside the Trans Go Box it says if you can't source any Valve Body Gaskets you can just order them through Trans Go. So that's exactly what I did.

The part number for the Trans Go Gaskets is 340-VB-G. This kit contains 17 different gaskets for every A340 variant transmission. So I'll be sure that it covers my kit. It was $34 + shipping.

I also talked with a technician on the phone and he said the kit should work fine with the SC400. I also told him about the 4th solenoid ECU mod and he said he doesn't recommend it. He said I'll get the firmer shifts that I want out of the Trans Go kit alone. My 4th solenoid ecu mod is already wired on a switch so... I'll test it out anyways once the Trans Go kit is installed. KC95SC400 has a modded valve body and the 4th solenoid mod and he doesn't seem to have any problems.

Update: Still waiting on parts. Hopefully going to get this mod done on the 20th if the parts come in.

Last edited by Clean400; 09-18-12 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Adding information.
Old 09-22-12, 06:31 AM
scmaluco
Driver

So I called Lexus to order the Valve Body and this time I gave him my serial number for my car and he wasn't even sure now what parts the gaskets were (before he just searched by model year). He gave me some photos to figure it out by myself but I didn't want to take any chances.

Inside the Trans Go Box it says if you can't source any Valve Body Gaskets you can just order them through Trans Go. So that's exactly what I did.

The part number for the Trans Go Gaskets is 340-VB-G. This kit contains 17 different gaskets for every A340 variant transmission. So I'll be sure that it covers my kit. It was $34 + shipping.

I also talked with a technician on the phone and he said the kit should work fine with the SC400. I also told him about the 4th solenoid ECU mod and he said he doesn't recommend it. He said I'll get the firmer shifts that I want out of the Trans Go kit alone. My 4th solenoid ecu mod is already wired on a switch so... I'll test it out anyways once the Trans Go kit is installed. KC95SC400 has a modded valve body and the 4th solenoid mod and he doesn't seem to have any problems.

Update: Still waiting on parts. Hopefully going to get this mod done on the 20th if the parts come in.

was your gaskets that bad that you couldn't reuse the same ones?? just wondering .

thanks
Old 09-22-12, 10:00 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh I had no idea this kit was even avl!
Old 09-23-12, 12:02 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I know it works for mustangs...although in mustangs firming up the shift pressure via a tune yielded great results also
Old 09-25-12, 02:25 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

was your gaskets that bad that you couldn't reuse the same ones?? just wondering .

thanks
I'm not sure of the condition of my gaskets. But from what I read it's recommended to buy brand new gaskets. Don't re-use your old gaskets.

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Huh I had no idea this kit was even avl!
Ya me neither! I've been searching the **** out of the internet researching on stuff for my car... and stumbled upon this. I found a few posts on trucks forums with people using it for the A340. Other than that one person on the supra forums bought the regular transgo kit and not the HD2 (I believe the HD2 Transgo kit has firmer springs and the valvebody mod).

I was thinking about just putting shims in my transmission but this transgo kit also contains extremely tiny drill bits (from what I understand) that you use to drill into your valvebody.

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
I know it works for mustangs...although in mustangs firming up the shift pressure via a tune yielded great results also
Yeah I was reading some stuff on the corvette forums and the transgo kit is well recommended.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1088057

"There are a couple of holes which are drilled and you have the option of 'truck' or 'race car' shifts." Just read that on that link. I'll definitely choose race car when it's getting installed lol.

An update on my install. So I finally brought my car to my installer this morning and he started working on my car. I had an oil leak somewhere that I just noticed last weekend when driving hard with a car meet from Montreal to Ottawa and back (and I was driving pretty damn hard lol). The car would smell like burning oil once in a little while. My installer checked it out and apparently my transmission was leaking a litte bit. So now my transmission has to come out to fix whatever seal is leaking (to do the Transgo Mod you wouldn't need to take the transmission out).

I was planning on ordering a Lextreme Torque converter this week anyways... but since my transmission has to come out I decided to order it now. Before ordering I checked ebay for fun and I found an Edge Racing Torque Converter for an SC400 for $400 + shipping so I jumped on it. I'm guessing it should be better than the Lextreme TC but who knows.

So my car won't be back on the road until' next week... just waiting on the Torque Converter now. I'm also trying to source an LSD/Torsen for my auto but it's hard to find one at a reasonable price.

Update: So the shift kit is going in this week! I'll report back with news as soon as it's done... Also ordered some surprises... A suprastick and an IS250 steering wheel with paddleshifters!!!! 10/10/12

Last edited by Clean400; 10-10-12 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-25-12, 08:21 PM
scmaluco
Driver

good stuff man.. iam constantly checking here for updates.. you should make a video of the car running.. focus on the cluster so we can see how fast it shifts and all
Old 09-25-12, 08:32 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be patiently waiting results and your feedback!
Old 10-01-12, 08:03 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Me too! Suscribed.
I need this mod ASAP.
Old 10-13-12, 07:27 AM
scmaluco
Driver

I'm not sure of the condition of my gaskets. But from what I read it's recommended to buy brand new gaskets. Don't re-use your old gaskets.

Ya me neither! I've been searching the **** out of the internet researching on stuff for my car... and stumbled upon this. I found a few posts on trucks forums with people using it for the A340. Other than that one person on the supra forums bought the regular transgo kit and not the HD2 (I believe the HD2 Transgo kit has firmer springs and the valvebody mod).

I was thinking about just putting shims in my transmission but this transgo kit also contains extremely tiny drill bits (from what I understand) that you use to drill into your valvebody.

Yeah I was reading some stuff on the corvette forums and the transgo kit is well recommended.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1088057

"There are a couple of holes which are drilled and you have the option of 'truck' or 'race car' shifts." Just read that on that link. I'll definitely choose race car when it's getting installed lol.

An update on my install. So I finally brought my car to my installer this morning and he started working on my car. I had an oil leak somewhere that I just noticed last weekend when driving hard with a car meet from Montreal to Ottawa and back (and I was driving pretty damn hard lol). The car would smell like burning oil once in a little while. My installer checked it out and apparently my transmission was leaking a litte bit. So now my transmission has to come out to fix whatever seal is leaking (to do the Transgo Mod you wouldn't need to take the transmission out).

I was planning on ordering a Lextreme Torque converter this week anyways... but since my transmission has to come out I decided to order it now. Before ordering I checked ebay for fun and I found an Edge Racing Torque Converter for an SC400 for $400 + shipping so I jumped on it. I'm guessing it should be better than the Lextreme TC but who knows.

So my car won't be back on the road until' next week... just waiting on the Torque Converter now. I'm also trying to source an LSD/Torsen for my auto but it's hard to find one at a reasonable price.

Update: So the shift kit is going in this week! I'll report back with news as soon as it's done... Also ordered some surprises... A suprastick and an IS250 steering wheel with paddleshifters!!!! 10/10/12
Any updates? Videos?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.