Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

pros vs cons remote oil pan/pump for 1uz turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 05:15 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default pros vs cons remote oil pan/pump for 1uz turbo

Ive been readning up on remote mount turbo setups for the 1uz, specifically mounted in the trunk/spare wheel well. As Ive seen so far there have been remote mounted oil pumps to pump the return oil back into the engine. There have been suggestions of a remote oil pan as well to run the turbo completely independent of the engine oiling system. This would obviously require an oil pump to keep the oil circulating. I'm wondering if this would be a more cost effective option. Is there a possible way to raise oil pressure along with engine rpm with certain oil pumps?

I'm not looking for opinions on the reliability/sensibility of a remote mount turbo, rather I'd like the discussion to stay on the specifics of parts involved and pros vs cons of a standalone oil system vs running off the engine oil.

Also wondering the volume required of a seperate oil pan and what oil pumps would be suffcient to meet the demands of the turbo, specifically a general t3/t4 turbo that could be had on ebay in the $150 range or a used turbo from a smaller 4cyl (say jetta for example).

As far as I can tell this would be a more feasible option as you would not be running oil lines the length of the car as well as requiring less from a chosen oil pump with less risk to the integrity of the engine. The chance of failure would then only risk the turbo instead of the motor as well if the pump failed.

Last edited by CCC-TT; 08-31-12 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 05:30 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...system-qs.html

a link with some pertaining info
Old 09-03-12, 10:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Journal bearing turbos require much more oil than ball bearing units. they usually use restrictors in the line on BB units, so if you are trying to minimize amount of flow needed BB would be your best bet. I would imagine an oil cooler would be helpfull.
Old 09-05-12, 10:00 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Thanks!

Everything I'm finding is saying to just go the usual route and tap oil from the motor. This is probably what I'll end up doing but as a last thought to having an oil pump that could match engine rpms to deliver oil, wouldnt it be possible to run the voltage to the pump off of the TPS? This way the oil pump would be reacting to any changes in engine speeds.
Old 09-05-12, 11:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

You could use something like TPS to control a multi speed oil pump. you could even activate higher pressures above lets say 3-4k rpm's.

Overall though the remote oil setup is just not a practical idea for most setups. I would consider it more for a race car really.
Its not as simple as using one oil pump unless you can mount your pan under the turbo so it can drain via gravity. You could spend a year designing a system to match the reliability of the OEM oil system, and still have it fail due to a bad pump controller, possibly 2 pumps to go out, and not to mention more complexity if you want to filter the oil that is circulating. plus you have all that extra weight in the trunk now.

For some trucks, I can see the concern with oil lines getting beated on from offroading underneath, especially when crawling over rocks.
For an SC, there is plenty of space to run some lines where they will be protected, and not have to worry about any of those issues, because I have never seen an SC get on 3 wheels or climb rocks ever.

all you need is a very long 3AN feed line, and a very long larger return line with an inline oil pump.
If you are using a BB turbo, you most likely will need to fit a restrictor.
Old 09-05-12, 12:00 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

I hear you. I'm looking to do a budget boost setup on this sc4 I picked up as a daily while my sc3 is at home in the garage and thinking that oil setup might be cheaper but obviously not. Again, thanks for the help and hopefully I'll be making some posts of progress soon.
Old 09-05-12, 02:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

good luck, once you get under there you will get an idea of how you can run the lines.