Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear mount Tubro 1uz

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 12:44 PM
2jzgobrap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear mount Tubro 1uz

Okay guys so ive been piecing my kit together and so far i have everything but an oil pump and oil catch can. I plan on running a oil resevoir with an oil cooler with a tiltion oil pump that will be mounted in the trunk to feed the turbo. for less lines and optimal flow. Im going to start posting pictures of the build very soon.
Old 05-07-15, 03:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its much harder to run a separate oil system for the turbo and have it work well, are you sure you are up for that?
you will need the pump to feed the turbo and the oil pressure t will have to be appropriate for all rpm conditions, and seeing how the turbo is on your exhaust, likely the reservoir wont be below the turbo, so you will also need a pump to get the oil back in the reservoir. you will need a method to monitor the oil temps, the cooler will have to be placed somewhere where it will actually get air flow which is likely up front somewhere meaning long lines from your remote system to the cooler and back unless you think sticking it under the car will cool the oil enough which I have no idea but wouldn't rely on that without testing.

its already hard enough for a remote mount setup but adding a seperate oiling system you can see the complications.

if you were using your engine oil system, you would only need the pump to get the oil back into the oil pan, as the feed line would be pressurized by the engines oil pump. This is the most common way of setting up a remote system turbo as you can generally put an oil cooler on the main oiling system, and that way both systems are linked like it would be on a turbo 2jz for example and the oil cooler can be up front like normal and everything is happy. if you loose oil pressure or level, you will know about it on the dash via regular lights before the turbo is wrecked or the engine is wrecked.

I wouldn't set up a car on a remote oiling system for a turbo unless it was a dedicated track car, this is kind of like the territory of dry sump kits you could spend 3k on it, but you don't need it unless you do need it and on the street you really don't need it.

All that being said its just advice to point those researching in the right direction. the 1uz has had a remote turbo setup done before I think it was even posted somewhere around here.
Also consider just getting custom exhaust work done up front and putting the turbo in the engine bay, lots of people have done that on the 1uz and its nice to look at your turbo, not have it under the car where someone can cut it out, and also you can use the regular oil system just like we do on na-t.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-07-15 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 10:50 AM
2jzgobrap
Driver School Candidate

Alright thank you for the advice I'll just run it off my oil pan instead it seems like less of a hassle to begin with anyways. This car will be garage kept so Im not worried about some one coming to cut it off. But how should i go about the front mount? I dont really have all the money to get the customs headers made for it.
Old 05-08-15, 12:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I think people in the past have flipped one of the manifolds (use drivers on passenger side, going loosely off memory here double check on the net) to make the passenger side point towards the front, then they make them join together with a custom pipe, and then setup a turbo and route a downpipe. look for some build threads, they will be the ones with a single turbo that is where the battery normally is on the front drivers side.

the remote mount is not that much harder if you reuse the engine oiling system, then no messing with the manifolds. you will need a return oil pump for the turbo drain back to the oil pan, which is pretty easy. if you try and use a seperate oil system which everyone thinks is a good idea at first (it isnt always), its really quite difficult to get everything right or as good as the other way.
Old 05-08-15, 12:27 PM
2jzgobrap
Driver School Candidate

so i could literally just flip my manifold around? i never thought about it that way. But im trying to keep the cost down I do not have a crazy amount of money so the remote mount seems like a better option for me right now because of the cost. I'll start reading into some of the turbo 1uz builds. i know how most of this works but havent looked into any 1uz tubro builds most of my knowledge comes from the NA-t build threads.
Old 05-08-15, 01:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I think you will need a second manifold not just flip the ones you already have but yeah its an old trick. its not perfect but it gets one side to face forward.