Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Brian Crower 1jz 264 camshaft results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 07:24 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea they have been around for a while now it's just the prius offers the most complete range of sizes it seems.
Old 10-02-12, 07:57 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Yea they have been around for a while now it's just the prius offers the most complete range of sizes it seems.
If memory serves me correct their are no less than 12-15 different sizes available for the MR2 Spyder application.
Old 10-02-12, 08:40 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Wonder if the part #'s cross? I only have a list from the prius which is the one posted on supraforums in the shim less thread.
Old 10-03-12, 08:24 PM
dgreen78
Driver School Candidate

Actually any 1ZZ motor is going to have them Celicas, Corolla, Chevy Prizm, etc.

I just spent a day in the yard pulling them out of 3 motors only to find none of them would fit in my 1JZ head I would of had to cut the stems to get them to work. Might as well buy them new and get the exact sizes you need.
Old 10-03-12, 08:43 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Wow I thought they would fit the 1j as well? Good thing you said something as I also am doing a 1j.
Old 10-04-12, 05:27 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Actually any 1ZZ motor is going to have them Celicas, Corolla, Chevy Prizm, etc.

I just spent a day in the yard pulling them out of 3 motors only to find none of them would fit in my 1JZ head I would of had to cut the stems to get them to work. Might as well buy them new and get the exact sizes you need.
^^^This is why people use the mr2 spyder.I am glad you came back and report your findings!
Wow I thought they would fit the 1j as well? Good thing you said something as I also am doing a 1j.
So you actually tried the prius stuff? people don't spew misinformation on here if you actually never done it and know for sure it works.
Old 10-04-12, 07:52 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

The prius buckets are widely known to work in the supra community and this is what my machine shop uses as well for all of their high hp builds which they build engines for many of the top shops here in central FL as well so no misinformation on the prius buckets working, I will see if I can find the list of part#'s and post them here.
Old 10-05-12, 08:11 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am going to order mine next week , i will post the pics part numbers.
Old 10-05-12, 11:21 AM
SClean93
Driver

So before I start spending money I have a few q's
I understand duration and things but what advantage would I be getting from stage 3 compared to stage 2
I have a pretty much stock 1j but wanting room to grow..do I need springs and retainers on both stage cam or are the 264 drop ins
Old 10-05-12, 01:28 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

The prius buckets are widely known to work in the supra community and this is what my machine shop uses as well for all of their high hp builds which they build engines for many of the top shops here in central FL as well so no misinformation on the prius buckets working, I will see if I can find the list of part#'s and post them here.

Not to be argumentative but I didn't use anything from a Prius in my build but I guess 900 +hp is not really high horsepower. LMAO

By the way for all of you guys thinking of going this way, it is not unusual to have to take a little off the valve stem for proper clearance the benefit will be the buckets all the same so no risk of putting them in the wrong place if they should ever need to come out in the future no marking needed.
This is just one of the necessary evils when you truly start to make HP with big cams.
Old 10-05-12, 02:16 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Not saying all, Just seems to be what they use here in central FL and we all pretty much use the same machine shop.

Yea the machine shop will have to tip in the valve stem tops which is now how an adjustment has to be made with solid buckets.
Old 10-05-12, 02:25 PM
dsrkel
Driver School Candidate

very good info
Old 10-05-12, 02:39 PM
Medic91x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drewdizzle
Well I actually am running a single turbo Garrett GT35, aem ems v1, 850 injectors tial 44mvr, greddy intercooler. and all stock internals. I am competing in formula d pro ams so I am looking for a good mid range to high range power. at the moment my motor dogs out at under 3800 rpm so I know cams will help in that. just curious how much help and also want to know what the 1j community's consensus is on cams. I thought it was all about BC so this affirms that, just wondering if there is a better option.
Sounds pretty nice, I'd love to know how this does on the dyno, it sounds like a real monster in terms of potential.

On my dyno sheet from the spring the powerband completely falls off after 6300rpm. I'd at least something that'll carry me to the 7000-7500 range. Then again, my car is just a cruiser.
I'd love to see what would happen if you were to get a set of 264 or 272 cams.

What are you using for your fuel pump and what brand injectors?
Old 10-05-12, 07:03 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Not saying all, Just seems to be what they use here in central FL and we all pretty much use the same machine shop.

Yea the machine shop will have to tip in the valve stem tops which is now how an adjustment has to be made with solid buckets.
Its all good, no harm no foul just letting the masses know there are more directions to go
Old 10-05-12, 07:17 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Medic91x
Sounds pretty nice, I'd love to know how this does on the dyno, it sounds like a real monster in terms of potential.

On my dyno sheet from the spring the powerband completely falls off after 6300rpm. I'd at least something that'll carry me to the 7000-7500 range. Then again, my car is just a cruiser.
I'd love to see what would happen if you were to get a set of 264 or 272 cams.

What are you using for your fuel pump and what brand injectors?
A typical street driven D/D J will see the most useable power from a 264 series cam just for the record with a reasonable $ spent to due it properly.
If you want bigger hp and money is loose than port, polish,full valve train upgrade, buckets and a turbo to make use of all the head work but remember the location of the bottle neck will only change from the head to the Plenum/TB especially on a 1J and in order to make the head really flow. The exhaust is another area of concern, just remember that making HP is not just achieved with 1 item being upgraded its the combination of all the parts harmonized that makes efficient power. IE: the single Wallyboro fuel pump with a 1000+ cc injectors and a goal of 600hp means FAIL.

Quick Reply: Brian Crower 1jz 264 camshaft results.