Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thermostat housing Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 07:41 AM
Blaz0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat housing Gasket

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for some time, reading admiring, finding excellent repair help. I've searched and cannot find what I am looking for.

I've been struggling with cooling issues in my 92 sc400 lately. First, the reservoir cap seal went bad, so I replaced that. That was not the only issue. I noticed a small amount of coolant coming from the seal of the water inlet in front of the thermostat. So, I decided I may as well replace the thermostat while I was in there. There didn't appear to be any gasket other than the one around the thermostat itself. So, I buttoned it all back up with new thermostat. After awhile, it was still leaking from the edge. I decided to get some high temp RTV and re-install the inlet. After running for a bit, it ended up leaking too, so I ended up replacing the inlet housing. I thought that maybe the old one might have been warped. You never know with those plastic engine parts. The new inlet came with a felt gasket , so I installed this. It still appears to be leaking there just a little. I also have a tiny leak at the seal where the whole thermostat housing attached to the water pump. From the pictures I've seen, there appears to be a rectangular gasket at the base and an o-ring for that slides over a tube that goes into the intake manifold. I found a picture of the housing itself.

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/9...20(Medium).jpg

I am looking to see if anyone can help me out with the part numbers with the base gasket and o-ring. Also, how to get a good seal on the water inlet. Can anyone help me out with this? I’m so tired of this thing leaking. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-15, 01:14 AM
lynnmass01
Driver School Candidate

Default hi

I just joined and sorry to see that over 1000 people looked at your post and didn't bother to give any advice. But from what i have noticed so far . If the post had to do with adding 22inch tires or adding a 15,000 watt stereo system with tvs or adding nitro to you gas or changing out this and that to have the car roll on two wheels I'm sure you would of got thousands of responses .
Old 01-22-15, 08:03 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lynnmass01
I just joined and sorry to see that over 1000 people looked at your post and didn't bother to give any advice. But from what i have noticed so far . If the post had to do with adding 22inch tires or adding a 15,000 watt stereo system with tvs or adding nitro to you gas or changing out this and that to have the car roll on two wheels I'm sure you would of got thousands of responses .
please show me one post about donking an SC.
Old 07-15-15, 05:49 PM
Pilot27
Driver School Candidate

The Water Inlet O-Ring Part Number
LEXUS AM PART #: 16323c
OE LEXUS PART #: 9676135035
VICTOR RIENZ PART #: C31699

The Water Bypass Joint Gasket Part NUmber
LEXUS AM PART #: 16355a
OE LEXUS PART #: 1634150020
FEL-PRO PART #: 35941

Old 07-22-15, 02:16 AM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice picture, saved.
Old 07-27-15, 06:52 AM
Pilot27
Driver School Candidate

Water Inlet to water pump gasket
Not shown in image
Fel-Pro: 35552
Old 07-29-15, 04:28 PM
KazzyEman
Driver School Candidate

What a great diagram. Thank you for this. I needed this.
Old 08-03-15, 04:59 PM
s13erm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blaz0
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for some time, reading admiring, finding excellent repair help. I've searched and cannot find what I am looking for.

I've been struggling with cooling issues in my 92 sc400 lately. First, the reservoir cap seal went bad, so I replaced that. That was not the only issue. I noticed a small amount of coolant coming from the seal of the water inlet in front of the thermostat. So, I decided I may as well replace the thermostat while I was in there. There didn't appear to be any gasket other than the one around the thermostat itself. So, I buttoned it all back up with new thermostat. After awhile, it was still leaking from the edge. I decided to get some high temp RTV and re-install the inlet. After running for a bit, it ended up leaking too, so I ended up replacing the inlet housing. I thought that maybe the old one might have been warped. You never know with those plastic engine parts. The new inlet came with a felt gasket , so I installed this. It still appears to be leaking there just a little. I also have a tiny leak at the seal where the whole thermostat housing attached to the water pump. From the pictures I've seen, there appears to be a rectangular gasket at the base and an o-ring for that slides over a tube that goes into the intake manifold. I found a picture of the housing itself.

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/9...20(Medium).jpg

I am looking to see if anyone can help me out with the part numbers with the base gasket and o-ring. Also, how to get a good seal on the water inlet. Can anyone help me out with this? I’m so tired of this thing leaking. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
make sure and scrape all remaining rtv residue with a blade before applying. Gray permitted should work fine, my personal favorite is hondabond but that might offend some haha