Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 SC400 Running HOT "Please help"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 08:15 AM
SQ400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 SC400 Running HOT "Please help"

Ok lets see. My baby is running hot and I just can't figure this out. Lord i hot my head gasket isn't blown.

Ok my front seal went out while my girlfriend was driving the car. oil light came on when she was about 10 miles from my house. She drove the car to my house and it never ran hot, temp hand didn't even move.

Ok so I replace then front seal, and put her back together. Started her up and ran her for awhile to much sure the seal is good. Turned her off and no oil was leaking, Happy days again.

So I started her again and was returning my sound system and after about 35-40 mins i looked at the temp hand and it was starting to run hot. I say what now, so i think i never top off the coolant. So I let it cool down and topped it off.

Started it up again and same thing, it runs hot again. So I say I'm not going thru this so i replacing the water pump which was done about 5 months ago so it was still under warranty. So I replace the water pump, timing belt, and tension-er pully and tension-er.

Start her up, let it run for like an hour and no over heating, but I see steam under the hood and some water on the ground, I notice the thermostat house where the metal meets the water pump, water was linking there pretty fast. So let it cool down and re-seal it.

So i think cool done. Do i start it up and let it run and after about 30 mins it starts to run hot again. So think maybe Air is the system, So while it was running i just turn the radiator cap to open it and to relieve the pressure and the temp hand starts to go down. So I turn the car off, Let it cool down and remove the radiator cap, turned the heat on to max and listened and the watched some bubble come out, did this for a while and the temp hand would go up and down. Turn it off let it cool down topped off the coolant and same thing again running hot but not as fast. I removed the thermostat itself and did it again, some thing.

I'm thinking maybe clogged radiator or LORD knows NO blown head gasket, but it doesn't have any coolant in the the oil, as it is new as I changed it when i replaced the front seal. So it is clean with no Chocolate milk look. i'm about to the replace the thermostat and temp sensor.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks for all your help in advance!!!!

Last edited by SQ400; 04-27-12 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 03:28 PM
SQ400
Rookie

Ok replaced the thermostat and temp sensor. Same drove it about 3 miles and it starts to run hot. But no loss of power and pull like great.
Old 04-27-12, 03:51 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you fill it up through the top of the thermostat housing?
Old 04-28-12, 09:00 AM
SQ400
Rookie

funny you asked that.

Well she is go to go now. She had a tone of air in the system. I bleed the system from the top of the thermostat housing.

1. I Drove the car up on my ramps,

2. Let it warm up and turn my heat on to Max

3. Open the 17mm bolt up. DID NOT OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP!!!!

4. Took a funnel to fit tight in the opening.

5. I start to add a mixture of coolant and water to the funnel and watch on the air bubble and the come out. Rev the engine up to about 3000rpm in about every 3 mins.

6. I followed set 5 until the funnel was full and no more air bubble was coming out, just the coolant setting in the funnel and the heat was blowing hot.

7. Turn the car off, let the coolant in the funnel darn into the system, replace the 17mm bolt, let the car fun for about 40 mins to ensure it didn't heat seating still, then drove it for about 30 mins at different speeds max speed about 105mph.

8. HAPPY DAYS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

So she now has in the last week:

1. New front seal

2. New timing belt

3. New timing belt tensionor pully and tensionor

4. New water pump

5. New temp senor.

6. BFI

7. New serpentine/engine belt.

In last year add to that list

1. New injectors

2. New ignition system: plugs, wires, ignition rotors, distributor caps and ignition coils.

3. Replaced ABS/Traction Control pump and accumulator

4. New all mental Rack bushing.

5. New brakes with cross drilled rotors (nothing special)

6. New starter

7. Replace all O2 sensors

So she is running like a dream now and pull harder then ever before since i had it. Next I will be doing the rear seal and hope upgrade to the lextreme performance torque converter at the same time.

Now on to finding the other little known issue they have so i fix them also, and maybe I can get an other 150,000 miles out of her.
Old 04-28-12, 10:30 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha, yeah most people tend to forgot to fill it up from there. You should always fill it up there first, since it burps the system through the radiator cap thingy
Old 02-16-13, 06:05 PM
samcat4
Driver School Candidate

hello, fellow sc owners. i too am having a overheating problem with my samcat 400. the reservoir sensor popped out. it was deterioated, my car was blowing the coolant out of that hole in the top of reservoir. i replaced the reservoir. filled it with coolant. car still ran hot. can someone tell me what to do next. maybe i need to bleed the system in fill the engine through the thermostat housing, then fill the reservoir.
Old 05-24-13, 04:32 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Which 17mm bolt is it?