Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

lost.... im new to the lexus scene and need a lil help please :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 01:26 AM
juice1983
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost.... im new to the lexus scene and need a lil help please :)

Well I washed my engine bay...I know a risky move but ..when i was done it seemed to run just fine. I went to advance auto parts to get new vacuum lines for my car took the first vacuum line that connects to the intake right behind the mass air flow sensor ...I think that's what it is... and i forgot to re install it when i drove off . The car started acting funny and i remembered what i did so i pulled over A.S.A.P. re connected it..... now the car still runs like crap. disconnected the battery hoping it would reset whatever went wrong... didn't work.... unplugged everything to make sure it didn't get wet . Let it air out for a day and still runs horrible. Its got a ruff idle and when you accelerate it seems to not want to go like it should. I thought it might be the TPS but im not sure. I just know its acting like my Jeep when i got the throttle position sensor wet it had a lot of misfiring and a ruff idle.... but would me not putting the vacuum on right away ruin anything ...or do you think its the tps...? Just asking before i go buy the new TPS..... ?
Old 05-21-13, 01:42 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

if it ran fine before you washed it then its more likely water in the spark plug wells. That happened to my first sc. i had to adjust the tps so i could get around town till the weekend. I had to take off the little y-pipe intake thing to get access to all my spark plugs and then i used compressed air and paper towels to dry em up. but mine were FLOODED, and a couple days in socal heat and daily driving wasnt enough to dry them. Hopefully urs dries within a few days but if it doesnt its time to bust out the wrench haha. Might as well change ur plugs and wires while ur in there

I just saw, u got an sc400... no y-pipe for u but probably the same problem, just make sure all ur ignition stuff is dry

Last edited by hsokhi; 05-21-13 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-21-13, 04:44 AM
Jos
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I washed the engine bay out I used light amounts of water but any water on the engine will be a problem because its not designed to come into contact with any such amount. I let mine idle for 10 minutes, which it did so roughly, and then it returned to normal. Try sitting in it and watching your idle for that time. Leave it alone and after ten minutes hopefully it returns to normal. If not, go ahead and used compressed air.
Old 05-21-13, 05:53 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Disconnect the battery for 20 min. See if that helps
Old 05-21-13, 06:11 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You are surely not the first.
Look HERE.

(From AliSC3: you have water in your plug valley and where the wires touch the plugs, the water lets the spark ground out to the block and never makes it into the cylinder. dry out your plug valley and all your plugs and wires.)

Good Luck!
Old 05-21-13, 12:15 PM
juice1983
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Look HERE.

(From AliSC3: you have water in your plug valley and where the wires touch the plugs, the water lets the spark ground out to the block and never makes it into the cylinder. dry out your plug valley and all your plugs and wires.)

Good Luck!
thanks guys i just change my plugs and wires so it should be easy to do it again...will def take it apart and dry the plug valley out .......... it acted as if it wanted to kick in a lil goin down the highway after letting it sit for a day so im hoping its just that the water is letting the wires ground to the block.... thanks guys i appreciate the help man love my lexus forum friends
Old 05-21-13, 12:58 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it usually happens more on the sc300 because the plug valley is pointed straight up, it is a bit more unlikely on the 400 but still possible depending on how much you washed it all down. Probably water related though and hopefully you didn't short a sensor.
Old 05-22-13, 02:49 AM
juice1983
Driver School Candidate

Its in sc300 sorry guys havnt updated my profile i added a new car to my collection i love the sc line lol had to have a 2jz so no i didnt do this to my sc400 although i did wash it too it just didnt see the issues my sc300 did
Old 05-22-13, 07:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Well that makes sense then, I haven't heard of the washing issue that much with the sc400, all the important stuff is a bit more covered and the angled plug valleys help.

The 2jz though anytime you get water near the top it will collect at the plugs, the only way I wash my engine anymore is by hand, with a cloth. If something is getting sprayed down it is best to remove it from the car or take the time to cover all the important stuff including the valve cover area, distributor, coil, ignitor, etc..
Old 05-24-13, 12:44 AM
zzobeyyzz
Driver

I went through the same damn problem. Take off the spark plugs sockets and spark plugs themself. Take them out and let them dry. Check your distributor as well. Then clean or spray air inside the block to get any water out that got inside. Trust me on this

BEEN THERE DONE THAT !
Old 05-24-13, 12:31 PM
juice1983
Driver School Candidate

Yup hell yea thanks guys there was alot of water hovering around the rear two plugs. I dried it out with a rag the used air to blow it out ..... man it runs better than ever lol I CAN FINALLY DRIFT AGAIN
Old 05-24-13, 12:32 PM
juice1983
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Look HERE.

Good Luck!
lol and u sure right lol thanks i dont feel so slow now lol
Old 05-24-13, 07:47 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Did anyone else read the first sentence and have deja vu?