Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 10:10 PM
mtnandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater core replacement

I just replaced the heater core in my 92 sc 300. Not Any easy job. the repaire manual says you have to take the engine out but I was able to get the job done without engine removal. You have to take the entire guts out of the car from the front seats foreward - even the dash cover and the steel brake strut that runs from side to side. You also have to do some work in the engine area but not too much. I can not see why the repair manual says to remove the engine. If anyone needs info on how to get this job done just let me know and I will be glad to help. The job took about 20 hours but I saved $800 !
Old 11-01-02, 09:37 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

20 hrs is not bad at all. Congrad. on your replacement. Hope that I don't have to do mine anytime soon. Just did mine 88 Corvette and it took me about that much time for the actual work but the entire time from start to finish was more like two weekends for me.
Old 03-12-05, 03:40 AM
newgentlem
Driver School Candidate

Default Heater Problems

Originally Posted by mtnandy
I just replaced the heater core in my 92 sc 300. Not Any easy job. the repaire manual says you have to take the engine out but I was able to get the job done without engine removal. You have to take the entire guts out of the car from the front seats foreward - even the dash cover and the steel brake strut that runs from side to side. You also have to do some work in the engine area but not too much. I can not see why the repair manual says to remove the engine. If anyone needs info on how to get this job done just let me know and I will be glad to help. The job took about 20 hours but I saved $800 !
I have a '92 SC300 also . Right now I'm bypassing the heater core, so I have no heat . I noticed my problems when anti-freeze ran onto my passenger side floor board. Everyone tells me it's the heater core and I have to removal the entire dash to repair or replace it. Is this so???!!!!
I hope not. I don't have any service manuals to show me how to do precede. But, isn't this heater core a small part inside of a heater box a little larger than a good size bread box or tool box? Can it be removed by removing the glove box and lower dash panel? Why does the entire dash have to be removed or am I not understanding? What is the possible of it not being a problem with the heat core, but a hose, a fitting or something. I guess you can tell I really DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS!!!!
I replaced the heater core in my RX-7 and Vette with no trouble. Want gives with this car?
HELP PLEASE !!!!!
Old 03-12-05, 06:48 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

2 year old thread, oh well, you're searching at least

the heater assembly is so huge and complex, and has multiple mounting points so far under the dash, the dash has to come out
the water pipes that go to the firewall is a one piece deal with the core itself, so if you got coolant inside - it is the core, there is nothing else inside the cabin that holds coolant
it's a b1tch of a job but doable by yourself if you can afford the down time

good luck

and welcome to the club

Old 03-18-05, 11:15 PM
newgentlem
Driver School Candidate

First, Thank You for greeting me to the Club.

Getting back to this heater core. Has anyone posted details as to how to precede in removing the dash, and does the entire dash, up to the windshield have to come off the car, including the instrument cluster, steering wheel, etc.??? Does the box size extend behind the center console? Is it in the box with the A/C evaporator? Will I have to discharge the A/C? Can I be instructed briefly as to how to do replace the core ? Are there another sources for the purchase of this core other than being ripped off by the dealer ?
I'm at this point partially there, because I'm in the middle of replacing all the blown bulbs in the center console, radio, etc .

Thank you again......
Old 03-19-05, 06:02 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

yes you will have to remove the dash completely
yes you will have to discharge the A/C system
the coolant and A/C lines come in on the passenger side inside the engine bay, 2 lines per system, everything else is from inside
you can try PM Aliga, he has parts cars, so he just might have the core

i dont think there is a 'how to' write up on the heater, this is so rare to happen on an SC
i took apart 2 cars, the only hard time i had was removing the center wood trim and the center vent, other than that it was fairly easy, just take it slow and you should be alright

good luck
Old 07-27-07, 07:44 AM
blacknight
Driver School Candidate

Default need to replace mine

i need to replace the heater core in my 93 sc 400 no i dont have the time or the ability to do the work my self how much would something like this cost if i took it to a dealer ship?
Old 07-27-07, 08:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Book time is 6 hours... multiply that times whatever labor rate is at wherever you intend to do it at...

you will have to have the a/c system recharged after the fact too... that's not included in the book time above, most places charge an hour for evac/recharge the system...
Old 07-31-07, 02:40 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have plenty of used heater cores, if anyone needs. you can save a few bucks by buying used. thanks.
Old 03-13-17, 06:01 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump, why? because now I have to do this ****!!! my coolant is leaking on the floor, so fk my life!!
Old 03-13-17, 09:10 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did this a few weeks ago....it is not really that bad of a job....you need to take the whole dash out and crossbar....then it becomes easy to see where all the bolts are.....

But I didnt replace mine just removed it all together....cuz.....racecar
Old 03-13-17, 04:26 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by megamax
bump, why? because now I have to do this ****!!! my coolant is leaking on the floor, so fk my life!!
Darn it dude! You just can't win lately!!!
Old 10-05-20, 11:12 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I parked my car outside (usually it's parked in a parking garage) for a few days where it rained hard one day. Came back to the car to find the rear window fogged up. Thought it was weird. Then noticed that the passenger side floor was wet. No big deal - this happened before in another Toyota -- clogged A/C drain or sunroof drain. Figured that I would fix it later when I have some time. Started drying it up with a paper towel and noticed that it was brown in color. Weird... figured I search CL and see what other people experienced.... learned that this wasn't water, it was coolant from the HEATER CORE.

So F me, I'm reading threads on CL about how SC owners painfully removed all the bits to their car from backseat to the dash to get to this thing. So yes, I'm bumping a 18 year old thread to ask some questions:

1. Anyone know what the labor hours are if I were to take it to a shop? Someone posted in another thread that it was 6 hours, but I find that hard to believe if the entire dash needs to be removed.
2. If I replace the core alone, is that good enough? Should I replace anything else (hoses, etc)?
3. If I don't replace it, will it continue to leak coolant onto my passenger side floor? The car doesn't appear to be low on coolant and it doesn't overheat.
4. How common is this issue? If I source a used heater core, should I consider having it re-cored by a place such as Brass works (recommended by KahnBB6).

Thank you in advance. Given my poor mechanical skills, it looks like my weekends are shot in October and November now.
Old 10-05-20, 11:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

MoogieBoogie, I have not yet had to do this myself so I can only reiterate #4. I do recommend getting a used heater core, contacting The Brass Works and sending it in to them. Supra MKIV owners have used them and received back high quality OEM-like new heater cores. I myself picked up a used early style SC heater core a while ago and plan to send it in to them in the near future to have rebuilt and ready when it is needed.

There is an early version of the heater core and a later model version. I don't know the year changeover but it may be 1992-1995 and 1996-00. However they both will fit the same way and their differences seem to be the alloy used in the early vs late version. I think the early version is brass and the late version is something else. And the early version seems to be a bit thicker than the late version even though they both fit the same way.

The cool thing about that company other than their quality reproduction vintage heater cores and radiators is that once they do a new core for any vintage model they seem to keep a jig or template of it because numerous obscure heater cores are listed as what they can do including the one for LHD MKIV Supras and I think one of the early MR2's. That's what seems to be the case anyway. It was the case when I sent in an early Soarer SMIC to Bell Intercoolers in Texas for re-core restoration so I assume it will be the same deal with The Brass Works. Whenever someone sends an SC heater core in to them to re-create they will include it in that list of theirs.

As for the install, I only know what you have also read about this. It's involved and seems to require taking out the entire front dash to get to it. Although I agree with the OP from years ago in post #1 of this thread that the engine should not need to be removed to do this job. It's just a pain to get to those two clamps for the heater core on the engine side of the firewall because the cylinder head is right in front of them. A special tension clamp gripping tool helps even though it is still a PITA.

I'll also address #2: if you have leaks on your engine side of the firewall at the heater core hoses then I would recommend buying new heater core hoses and clamps. However since these are not located in the interior you should have no other inside hoses flowing coolant to worry about.

The heater core comes with some exterior padded sponge tape from the factory through. Find some generic automotive grade replacement sponge tape for that and cut it to size and length as needed to replace the old stuff.

I know that it's more than just two hoses (one is a two-piece with a metal tube in the middle that you must re-use) but you will have to re-use at least one of your old ones or get creative with some new replacement hose if any of that is necessary.

But to be clear, no there are no other heater core related hoses inside the cabin. Inside and behind the dash the problem is only related to the brass metal of the core becoming compromised in some cars over time. However while the dashboard is out I recommend addressing anything else you want to that is also very hard to get to before putting it back in.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-06-20 at 12:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MoogieBoogie (10-08-20)
Old 10-06-20, 08:27 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

One of the common failure points is where the tubes come into the body of the core. I just repaired one this weekend by re-sweating these joints and pressure tested it and it was leak free. So, that said if that’s the failure it’s a pretty easy repair once you get it out of the heater box. I know, that’s a lot of work to get to that point, just saying you might can pull it and put it back in the same day.
The following users liked this post:
MoogieBoogie (10-08-20)

Quick Reply: heater core replacement