Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I have a boost issue along with a speedo issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 03:33 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a boost issue along with a speedo issue

So I noticed a few days ago that I have no boost above 2 psi.... Which I was seeing 12-13 psi on my 1JZGTE swap. Anyway, I have had issues with pipes blowing off but it seems as if none have blown off. So now I have no clue where the boost went... Could it be the couplers? or vacuum line? or what?

Also, Along with this problem I noticed I am no longer reading the proper speed on my car. I am seeing like 45mph at like 80mph "actual speed" . So my car has had perfect speedo for a long time and then out of no where this happened. Is this like some sort of electrical issue or something? Or could it have to do with the ECU throwing a code or something?

Can the ECU cut boost that much if it is having a problem? I noticed it does have leaking capacitors and such. I Just need to know if that caused the issue or not. Anyway any suggestions or feed back would be good thank you...'
Old 10-19-11, 04:58 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4urxtc
Can the ECU cut boost that much if it is having a problem? I noticed it does have leaking capacitors and such. I Just need to know if that caused the issue or not.
Deductive reasoning Holmes! You just answered your own question.
Old 10-19-11, 06:01 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Your ECU could be the issue of your boost problem, but as far as your speedo goes, your speed sensor wires do not pass through the ECU, the go from the speed sensor to the body plugs under the dash which then go up to the back of the cluster. Your ECU does see a speed signal, but it comes from the cluster, rather than the speed sensor itself. (this is assuming your car is manual) For your boost issue, you can eliminate piping problems by doing a boost leak test. that will tell you if you have any leaks in the piping, or anywhere else in your intake system.
Old 10-19-11, 06:41 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Ok so I will do a leak test and also find some capacitors. Wonder what is up with the speedo though