Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400 stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-11, 03:58 PM
dannysc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 stalling issue

i have a sc400 that started running cold(not warming up) and lost power, wouldn't accelerate after a couple days of this happening. I've replaced the thermostat and temp sensor just because that was the cheep way to start, didn't fix it. I took the upper intake and throttle body off and cleaned off the COAL that was jammed throughout. Thought this would fix it for sure judging by how clogged it was. Didn't fix the problem. Thinking i need to replace this cold start temp switch. Not sure the name, got the p/n 89462-20020 and online it says it's switch, start inject. Looks like a temp sensor to me. I tested for continuity and nothing between the end and the electrical connection. I also checked the resistance and it didn't change when in hot water. Am i wrong saying this means it's bad?

Symptoms as it sits now;
Car starts and cuts out after 3-4 seconds. start again, 3-4 seconds, again 3-4 seconds. Around the 4th or 5th time, i can give it a little gas and it will stay running, but with no power at all. I mash the gas and it takes forever to get up the RPM's. could this switch do this to the car?
Old 07-17-11, 04:38 PM
sr20crazy
Driver School Candidate

cam sensor? MAF sensor??
Old 08-26-11, 08:10 AM
BobbyB
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default cam sensor

I have similar problem, and was told pre 1995's don't have a cam sensor, but rather it's built into the dizy...is that so...?? If not can you tell me where the cam sensor is, or send a pic...thanks.
Old 08-26-11, 04:38 PM
dannysc400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I have similar problem, and was told pre 1995's don't have a cam sensor, but rather it's built into the dizy...is that so...?? If not can you tell me where the cam sensor is, or send a pic...thanks.
they have a cam sensor. Its under the cover covering the plugs and upper cam sprocket.
Old 08-26-11, 06:09 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I have one, if you figure it out for sure thats your problem. PM me for info..
Old 08-26-11, 06:32 PM
BobbyB
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 1995 sc300....does the pre '96 sc300 have a cam sensor too...??
Does anyone know for sure...? This would help with diagnostic....thanks.
Old 09-18-11, 03:21 AM
Arkansas
Pole Position

im having about the same problem with mine....except mine will idle fine and stall when i press on the gas usually.
Old 09-18-11, 06:32 AM
dannysc400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dannysc400
i have a sc400 that started running cold(not warming up) and lost power, wouldn't accelerate after a couple days of this happening. I've replaced the thermostat and temp sensor just because that was the cheep way to start, didn't fix it. I took the upper intake and throttle body off and cleaned off the COAL that was jammed throughout. Thought this would fix it for sure judging by how clogged it was. Didn't fix the problem. Thinking i need to replace this cold start temp switch. Not sure the name, got the p/n 89462-20020 and online it says it's switch, start inject. Looks like a temp sensor to me. I tested for continuity and nothing between the end and the electrical connection. I also checked the resistance and it didn't change when in hot water. Am i wrong saying this means it's bad?

Symptoms as it sits now;
Car starts and cuts out after 3-4 seconds. start again, 3-4 seconds, again 3-4 seconds. Around the 4th or 5th time, i can give it a little gas and it will stay running, but with no power at all. I mash the gas and it takes forever to get up the RPM's. could this switch do this to the car?
Update, after taking apart the Idle air control valve and cleaning, also cleaned the EGR valve and reinstalling them. The car starts right up. But still lacks power in a big way, Moving the car out of my yard took full throttle and it almost didn't make it. It's acting like it's running in limp mode for some reason. I'm going to be pulling the crank sensor and testing that when i get time.
Old 09-19-11, 03:58 AM
Arkansas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dannysc400
Update, after taking apart the Idle air control valve and cleaning, also cleaned the EGR valve and reinstalling them. The car starts right up. But still lacks power in a big way, Moving the car out of my yard took full throttle and it almost didn't make it. It's acting like it's running in limp mode for some reason. I'm going to be pulling the crank sensor and testing that when i get time.
Check for a vacuum leak....im gonna do that on my 92 cuz im havin a bit of the same problem. thought id share this with u
Old 10-20-11, 08:09 PM
dannysc400
Driver School Candidate

Big update on my lexus issue.. My ignition coil was the problem, i was running on 4 cylinders when under load. It took a Kv tester to find the problem. As I stated b4, all my sensors were fine, the wires had correct resistence and the plugs were firing. Under load they were not putting out enough juice to fire the plugs. In the end, i cleaned out the whole intake system of all the soot build up and she runns real nice now.