Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supra TT Auto LSD install

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 07:05 AM
rexst
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supra TT Auto LSD install

I just won a brand new factory LSD unit w/ side bearings on Ebay for a good price and just wanted to ask if I will need to be setting backlash and preload if all I am doing is installing the same ring gear and just replacing the open diff? I was hoping that since it is just the ring gear being installed, I wouldn't need to mess too much with adjustments. Do supra LSD units also use shims for the carrier to adjust side to side orientation? Lastly, are the factory Torsen LSD's a 1-way or 1.5-way deal. Oh and I assume that these use helical gears instead of clutches right?

I really would have preferred finding a complete pumpkin from an auto TT but they are becoming rarer than hen's teeth. This would have eliminated the need to do any adjustment assuming I use the existing gear ratio already in the pumpkin which I had concerns with. Not sure a 3.77 rear end would be particularly enjoyable off the line rather than my stock 4.27's. I'd appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Last edited by rexst; 07-01-11 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-11, 12:32 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Hy!
i will upload for you the original install guide from lexus today

its easy to do, but, its better to have new bearings or the original side parts from the bearing to have the correct adjustment. I installed a TT LSD in a 4.08 SC300 Housing with the parts from the TT housing and all values are ok. I had installed the same LSD in my SC400 diff with the side parts from the OEM diff and it was horrible, not good.

pics in my SC Thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-97-sc400.html
Old 07-02-11, 08:18 AM
rexst
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I would really appreciate an install guide. By the way, I am really impressed with the quality of the work you have done on your car. It is something that only an owner would do so meticulously. Like you, my vehicle still has very low miles even now. Not as low as yours though. Mine has 26k miles but it is a 93 model.

Regarding the LSD, the one I bought comes with side bearings but what other side parts will I be needing? Are there shims on the sides as well? Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 07-02-11, 12:22 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

HY!

Thanks

i mean the retainer...

... its better you use the original for the bearing on the LSD. But you can have luck and its ok, i had problems with my SC400 housing, BUT i had not tested with the TT retainers, my failure.

here the link for the download of the manual

i bought a used TT LSD complete and i had all parts, not only the LSD, but you can test it very easy. first, you check the clearance with a dial gauge, is this ok, original 0,13mm max (see in the manual) i had 0,16mm in the original TT diff! After the install in teh SC300 housing 0,14mm.

Is this ok, you can feel a light clearance (clean the original housing with brake cleaner to have no oil on the parts and feel the clearance to have a feeling what is ok) on the flange to the cardan, this is normal. After refilling the oil, you don´t feel this clearance, then ok. I had in the SC400 diff a very big clearance and it was horrible to drive. But i had no dial gauge for this first change *ggg*

For the tooth contact pattern, use a simple permanent marker in black or blue. i had done with this, was the perfect result. paint 5 tooth front and back, turn the flange from the cardan 2 minutes in both direction and use with the second hand a thick handshoe to slow down the LSD to have a good resistance. (sorry for my bad english).

After this, you can see the pattern is this all ok, have fun and save rubber

good luck for this work!

greets

Tom

Last edited by Boergy; 07-02-11 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 10:32 AM
rexst
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the support and advice.

Ray