Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

"check engine" and "traction off" lights on

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 04:19 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "check engine" and "traction off" lights on

I was driving today and all suddenly, both yellow "check engine" and "traction off" lights showed up. so I stopped aside and disconnect the (-) battery for couple of min, and started the engine again. Both lights are now off but what caused the warning lights? should I go to the dealer for check up?
anyone had this problem?
Old 09-07-02, 08:48 PM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a bad sensor.
Old 09-07-02, 08:55 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

just checked the code, and I got code 25, I guess it's time to change O2 sensor.. any recommendation where I can get O2 sensor? price? is it easy to change myself?
what if I dont replace them, what's gonna happen? sorry no knowledge about O2 sensor..
TAKA
Old 09-08-02, 10:22 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Taka
just checked the code, and I got code 25, I guess it's time to change O2 sensor.. any recommendation where I can get O2 sensor? price? is it easy to change myself?
what if I dont replace them, what's gonna happen? sorry no knowledge about O2 sensor..
TAKA

the main 02s are about $80...

they're easy to replace if you have a lift -- just pop them off the exaust, then plug the new ones in.

harder to do w/out a lift -- all that time on your back isn't fun.

John
Old 09-09-02, 06:38 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I went to autozone.com to get some info on O2 sensor, they do handle BOSCH O.E. TYPE Part No.: 13561 but unfortunately they are currently not avaible from neither web or stores(autozone). I'll try local autozone near my place this weekend but is there any difference btwn BOSCH or lexus oem parts? if there'll be difference in mileage, I'll stick with Lexus(toyota) O2 sensor..

But before I change anything, I'll get multimeter and check if O2 sensor is really causing the problem..
Old 09-10-02, 12:46 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I went to autozone.com to get some info on O2 sensor, they do handle BOSCH O.E. TYPE Part No.: 13561 but unfortunately they are currently not avaible from neither web or stores(autozone). I'll try local autozone near my place this weekend but is there any difference btwn BOSCH or lexus oem parts? if there'll be difference in mileage, I'll stick with Lexus(toyota) O2 sensor..

But before I change anything, I'll get multimeter and check if O2 sensor is really causing the problem..

The problem with an aftermarket sensor, is that in may not be made specifically for the 1UZ-FE (it's a possiblitity -- the 1UZ-FE & its brothers are in a bunch of cars, none the less) If the O2 Sensor isn't specifically made for the 1UZ, it will not have the same exact voltage & specs as stock... I know, I know -- the dealer screws you over on pricing, but do yourself a favor -- get the P/N for the O2 Sensor from a lexus dealership, and see if you can get it @ a toyota dealership (the 3UZ-FE is in the Tundra & Sequoia, if I'm not mistaken)

But, my suggestion would be OEM -- find a dealership that will work with you on the pricing. Many won't budge because it's not worth their effort -- too many rich old people with money to burn. Grrr.

As far as the o2 sensor really being a problem, I've heard of one case where it was the ECU sending a faulty signal -- It's very rare, but it can happen... The ECU loses it and thinks it's getting imporper voltage from one of the main o2s (one on each extractor)...

Oh side note: you guys know the exaust is different on the 1995 from the 1992-94s? That's one thing I learned while oogling over SCs @ the dealership

John

Oh yea... One guy came in w/ 32k on his LS400 -- he still had the factory installed oil filter. The engine was mint.... I love the 1UZ... But I'm crazy about the 2JZ-GTE...

Another guy had 472k on his ~91 LS400... the car was falling apart, but the engine was fine. Geeze, they should really make these cars rust proof, if they're gonna make the engines bullet proof.

I digress...
Old 09-10-02, 01:50 AM
mjmoeykens
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: "check engine" and "traction off" lights on

I was driving today and all suddenly, both yellow "check engine" and "traction off" lights showed up. so I stopped aside and disconnect the (-) battery for couple of min, and started the engine again. Both lights are now off but what caused the warning lights? should I go to the dealer for check up?
anyone had this problem?
As a matter of fact I did have this problem. This may sound kind of funny but I went to Jiffy Lube and got a bunch of service done and the lights went off and stayed off. Jiffy Lube changed my oil, radiator fluid and transaxle fluid. Perhaps it was the transaxle?
Old 09-10-02, 11:03 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

A bad connection on the autobox can cause sporadic TRAC & O/D faults, have the electrical plugs checked/cleaned it could be crap got into the connections.

Last edited by London Bill; 09-10-02 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-10-02, 12:58 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid about $245 for both OEM main O2 sensors. That was the cheapest price at the time from two difference source. One of them was Carson Toyota (Steve Ganz).

If you can get the aftermarket for $80 each or less, I say go for it. Do a search, I did write up on how to check code 25. That's way you'll know which one is bad. Better to change both...
either way you'll have to wait a few days for parts to come in.
Old 06-08-17, 09:47 PM
Lobstaman
Driver School Candidate

Smile "traction off" "check engine" lights on

Originally Posted by Taka
anyone had this problem?
I would like to thank Taka for his suggestion of removing the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes. It worked right away. I've driven it a few days now, and have had no problems. I think my problem was topping off the gas tank to much, won't do that again. I have an impeccable '94 SC400 with 116,245 miles which I've owned since 1995. Always kept up with the scheduled maintenance the book called for. Best car I ever owned, fun to drive. Thanks again Taka for that tip. Lobstaman.