Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Shimming transmission acumalators

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 07:51 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's how I see it. You can pick these transmissions up for dirt cheap, so if you shim and destroy 1 per year, you still saved money over a built transmission over several years. That's assuming the shimming actually causes issues and that you do your own work. I beat the crap out of my 150k auto for a year and a half knowing I was going to go manual in the future. I even did neutral drops and full boost WOT shifts. It never even hinted at failing.

BTW, don't bother with the kicdown cable thing - it's wide open when the throttle is wide open anyway.
Old 03-23-11, 09:24 AM
carsmypnis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were to buy upgraded accumulators it would put the same stain on the transmission, just put a cooler on it if u decide to shim it. U should actually put a cooler in anyways since heat is the thing that kills autos
Any kind of performance modifications is rigging any way you look at it. It may b made by a big company, but its still technically rigging. The only difference is they've done it a million times with big upcharge.
Old 03-23-11, 09:28 AM
redhot91gt
Driver School Candidate

I have this mod done on my mk3 supra. Its making around 400rwhp and is nearing the limits of the clutches in the transmission. This is typically a recomended mod on the supra boards as it reduces heat/slip of the clutches during shifts which equates to better longevity. Hard parts are not usually an issue unless you are making quite a bit of power and its usually the 1-2 sprag thats the problem. Really dont think sprag issues have anything to do with this mod directly and more of just how much power your making and how hard its shifting with the power. I actually did the kickdown cable mod, because I wanted hard shifts at even lower throttle, but its definately not needed. A cooler should be something to look into aswell to fight heat.
Old 03-23-11, 09:40 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot91gt
I actually did the kickdown cable mod, because I wanted hard shifts at even lower throttle, but its definately not needed.
True, not needed, but it's kinda fun to get those bang shifts at half throttle!
Old 03-23-11, 09:46 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Then explain a trans kit vs shimming the accumulators and adjusting the kickdown. Reducing the heat something makes, when heat is detrimental, is a mod (a good one) IMO. Im not saying, nor is anyone, that this makes the tranny bulletproof. Yes it may be harder on other hard parts but what is doing ANY kind of mod? Putting lots of power through the auto is harder on the sprag, but thats a risk you take. Seems like there are QUITE a few guys making 300-400 on the auto with a Cooler and these mods. Unless youve done this specific mod to your car and have spent the time that people doing it or "recommending" have researching it, building it and driving it have... DOnt try to dissuade anyone. Move on.

Dont take this the wrong way, but you are talking out of your ***. Seems like people that want to stay auto and make boost, myself included, see this as a workable mod to make this tranny last while waiting to do a swap or build a better trans.
I am talking out of my ***? You apparently did not read everything I posted before making your comments with no base Do you work in a trans repair shop? How much exp do you have with this? I have done this "mod" at customers request in the shop before and all but one of those cars had a sprag failure eventually and one is still on the road today but it is not making any power (supercharged 1uzfe) so take it as you want I am not try to dissuade anyone just trying to tell all of the options and ponential consequences of do ing it the inproper way and in the end it is up to the op not me or you but next time you come off as an *** try to be a little more educated on the subject before you just jump in and tell somebody with years of exp they are wrong..Seriously wtf?
Old 03-23-11, 11:29 AM
LPA
Driver School Candidate

Well it seems i will be ok if i shim the accumulators, my sc400 is pretty much stock, except for a BFI and X pipe and deleted resonators. Im never going to boost it or anything... i was just looking for a better shifting trans.
Old 03-23-11, 08:06 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xspsi6
I am talking out of my ***? You apparently did not read everything I posted before making your comments with no base Do you work in a trans repair shop? How much exp do you have with this? I have done this "mod" at customers request in the shop before and all but one of those cars had a sprag failure eventually and one is still on the road today but it is not making any power (supercharged 1uzfe) so take it as you want I am not try to dissuade anyone just trying to tell all of the options and ponential consequences of do ing it the inproper way and in the end it is up to the op not me or you but next time you come off as an *** try to be a little more educated on the subject before you just jump in and tell somebody with years of exp they are wrong..Seriously wtf?

I am and have been a professional mechanic for many years and i share a race car shop with a few friends. Before i got into LE, I built lots of fast cars and have lots of time invested in making power.
Old 08-12-16, 11:49 AM
YotaSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for digging an old thread up but has anybody done the accumulator shim mod with the trans still installed? Is it possible, or is there to many parts to line up during reassembly?

I've done accumulator shims on other vehicles with the trans installed but they didn't require removing the VB to access the accumulators.