Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T engine bay pics, show'em

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 03:03 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

im just not trying to go for overkill..i read as much as i can before doing anything..and i read a LOT about how efficient the stock supra smic is..and honestly was pretty impressed compared to ebay fmic which is what i was looking at before..

like said im not going for any major hp like most people..im trying to find something that fits what i want ..and to keep as stock looking as possible while going for 300whp i believe the stock smic would be my best bet...if i could just find one in good condition cheap
Old 10-15-10, 06:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

na-t has higher intake temps than a gte, having a side-mount and throw the extra compression in there you are asking for trouble unless you wrap the turbo and everything, still risky unless you have good engine management. i strongly recommend some sort of front-mount.
Old 10-15-10, 09:46 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

now let me ask this..
if the stock supra smic is just as efficient as a cheap ebay fmic thats used in 90% of the na-t's used across this forum and clubna-t...then why would there be an issue??
ive researched quite a few people pushing 300-400whp on a stock smic

also i dont understand how compression would effect the charge temp or the intercoolers efficiency?

not to mention having a smic allows for a cooler engine bay/radiator by allowing more flow..

id think for a daily drive 300whp car around 9psi..itd be efficient enough
for the price of what a stock smic cost..ill at least give it a shot
worst case doesnt work sell it buy fmic..but ill at least have hard evidence to prove its not efficient enough vs assuming it doesn't

not saying anyone here doesn't know that commented but i do think the smic is being under estimated
Old 10-15-10, 09:52 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Looking great guys, any more ppl with na-ts?
Old 10-15-10, 11:33 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imDementeD
now let me ask this..
if the stock supra smic is just as efficient as a cheap ebay fmic thats used in 90% of the na-t's used across this forum and clubna-t...then why would there be an issue??
ive researched quite a few people pushing 300-400whp on a stock smic

also i dont understand how compression would effect the charge temp or the intercoolers efficiency?

not to mention having a smic allows for a cooler engine bay/radiator by allowing more flow..

id think for a daily drive 300whp car around 9psi..itd be efficient enough
for the price of what a stock smic cost..ill at least give it a shot
worst case doesnt work sell it buy fmic..but ill at least have hard evidence to prove its not efficient enough vs assuming it doesn't

not saying anyone here doesn't know that commented but i do think the smic is being under estimated
Obviously the reason Toyota put that smic in is because it IS efficient. As you said though, if 90% of NA-T guys are using fmic, that must be for a good reason. I think since they're larger, theres more surface area for heat to be absorbed and dispersed. Its just an efficiency thing and since its only going to be a 300rwhp daily driver, you will be fine with the smic for sure. I'd have to say though that a fmic will be more efficient in dispersal of heat in boost. Plus its there if you ever up the boost.

Just my .02 worth though. Goodluck on your project!
Old 10-16-10, 12:01 AM
GT60Lex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what brand intake manifold this is? I like it
Old 10-16-10, 07:58 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ashtray
Obviously the reason Toyota put that smic in is because it IS efficient. As you said though, if 90% of NA-T guys are using fmic, that must be for a good reason. I think since they're larger, theres more surface area for heat to be absorbed and dispersed. Its just an efficiency thing and since its only going to be a 300rwhp daily driver, you will be fine with the smic for sure. I'd have to say though that a fmic will be more efficient in dispersal of heat in boost. Plus its there if you ever up the boost.

Just my .02 worth though. Goodluck on your project!
definitely understand that but like said the smic is very efficient to the extent that it would beat out some cheap ebay fmic that most people end up using on these na-t setups...

a site thats more explanatory on the supra smic for people who are interested.
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost...ler_2JZGTE.htm
Old 10-16-10, 02:46 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imDementeD
I think he was referring to the higher compression combined with higher iat being more at risk for detonation.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
na-t has higher intake temps than a gte, having a side-mount and throw the extra compression in there you are asking for trouble unless you wrap the turbo and everything, still risky unless you have good engine management. i strongly recommend some sort of front-mount.
Is the higher intake charge temp due to a greater valve overlap of the ge vs gte?
Edit: intake routing I guess because what I'm referring to (if there even is more valve overlap in the ge) would only affect cylinder temperature really.

Last edited by BartleDoo; 10-16-10 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-16-10, 05:27 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT60Lex
Anyone know what brand intake manifold this is? I like it
That sir is the FSM intake manifold

fsmoto.net
Old 10-16-10, 06:14 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
I think he was referring to the higher compression combined with higher iat being more at risk for detonation.
oh gotcha...however like said these smic's are suppose to be really efficient and for my power goals should be we within limits

as far as the gte goes theres been quite a few people in the 400whp areas..and ive seen a couple na-ts running ~330whp with this tt smic..so like said ill give it a shot..it should work no problem for my power goals since they are really low for a 10:1 comp 2jz
Old 10-17-10, 05:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can give it a shot, with higher intake temps and high compression you are at a greater risk for detonation, yes that is what i meant. if you are trying to use the stock ecu the timing wont be optimal, which also increases risk, and the stock ecu isnt expecting air temps that hot ever. on a hot day you may experience alot of heatsoak, which makes these engines very slow/laggy and not fun to drive.

as for a ge having hotter intake temps than a gte, im talking about the intake manifold that will be sitting on your single turbo as well as the top of a really hot engine. its just something na-t owners have to deal with unless you spring for a FFIM.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-17-10 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-17-10, 07:23 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

like said ill try it..i dont think it will honestly be a problem for such low power goals
..ill continue to do research on this as much as possible before purchasing(i have a lot of other things to buy in the mean time) but i really haven't found any reports of problems with the tt smic not being efficient..im trying to find more info about it but its definitely hard to find since most people automatically disregard it as being a worthy choice...

i did find a little info on the 1jz smic flow ..and it didnt seem bad and i know the 2jz smic is better then the 1jz..

anyone have any more actual info testing with the smic?
i heard reg reimer(sp) did testing with it vs the greddy smic for the supra and the stock was actually better(because of the plastic induction piece) but i cant find any of the actual results.
Old 10-17-10, 03:06 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

something else wanted to add..looking at the IC i was going to run on my car before hand was only 690ci(rated for 600hp) vs the stock supra smic thats 496ci(from what ive found)
and i know the inside matters most and the design of the smic is way better then the cheap ebay ic's
also looked at the IC that comes with the XS kit thats 864ci..so between 200-300ci larger

however the core on the ebay kits are definitely worse then stock smic and because of their overall design air flows around them(fmic)(less resistance) where the smic has a plastic induction piece that helps a ton not to mention the front tire also helps with the pulling air through the smic

along with that the fmic isn't blocking airflow into the engine bay or radiator which keeps the engine bay cooler
just food for thought and the reason i plan to give the smic a shot
Old 10-20-10, 10:10 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Heres a couple of mine when I was Na-T
Attached Thumbnails NA-T engine bay pics, show'em-won.jpg   NA-T engine bay pics, show'em-dew.jpg  
Old 10-20-10, 10:33 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question: What turbo manifold/turbo combination are you using to clear the stock GE intake manifold? I don't want to switch to a FFIM yet and I'm piecing together a kit. I've looked on NA-T already and haven't seen much directed towards that (most people go for BIG power so they use a FFIM, I'm looking to just add more pep in the step).

Quick Reply: NA-T engine bay pics, show'em