Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300/400 1J/2J swap questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 08:35 PM
gijohnnyb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300/400 1J/2J swap questions.

Firstly, please excuse me asking this question which I am sure has been asked 200 times. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and the internet connection is less that speedy so searching isn't efficient when I am only alotted 30 minutes on the computer.

Okay, moving on.

I am no stranger to import vehicles, especially those os the Toyota make. I previously owned a Turbo MR2 and have been around many a Supra/SC300 swap owners. Being from Orlando, FL they weren't all that rare...especially with Titan Motorsports in my backyard. However, that was years ago and I now live in TN.

My questions are:

1. What are the differences in trim (besides the obvious engine differences) in the SC300/400. Is it all cosmetic or did the 400 come with some significant improvements that might make it worthwhile to endure the difficulty of the swap?

2. I am not looking to create a 1000HP+ beast. I am comfortable keeping within the 400-600HP range, after some mods of course. Is it worth forking over the extra cash for the 2J swap or should I just stick with the 1J?

3. From the searching I have accomplished, I understand that the swap into the 400 is more difficult, but I wasn't able to get specific details other than swapping some mounts and some wiring differences. Can anyone enlighten me?

4. What is a reputable source for a Supra/Soarer front clip? I have heard of VenusAuto, but checked their site and didn't see any Supra/Soarer clips.

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry again for the redundant post.
Old 02-18-11, 09:12 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

1. Besides the engine and the availability manual transmission in the 300 there are very few differences. There were different rear end ratios depending on engine and transmission but the center section is the same. Its not like there is a huge power difference between the 300/400 so nothing really needed upgrading.

2. All SC300s are 2jz-ge unless they have been swapped, the 1jz was not offered in the US market.
Old 02-18-11, 09:25 PM
gijohnnyb
Driver

Okay, cool. So in terms of swapping in a 2JZGTE or 1JZGTE, the SC300 is probably the way to go.

One more question I forgot to ask.

How difficult is the auto to manual transmission swap? Is it all bolt right up except I will obviously need to source stuff like the pedals and shifter assembly?
Old 02-19-11, 06:16 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

It seems to be, there are quite a few people who have done it. Keep in mind that the wiring harness is different between the 300/400 so swapping a 1/2j into a 400 will have a few more headaches. If you really want to swap in a 2jz gte into a 300 just find one with a R154 already attached so you know you have everything to make it fit. You will need the pedal assembly from a manual SC and the clutch master. You will also need to get a correct length driveshaft, I think there is a way to use the rear half from the sc and the front half from a manual supra but I'm sure how it works, someone who as done it will have more info.

Is there a specific reason you want a gte motor ? For your power goal you're going to have to dump a ton of money into whatever motor you have. The stock twins are only good to about 350 before the impellers come apart. Then you have to decide if you want to go big single or slightly bigger than stock twins. Don't be lured into spend a lot of money for twins when they aren't going to take you where you want to go. There are plenty of people here making big power on the 2jz ge motor that comes in the car to begin with. Just food for thought.

Last edited by FatBrian81; 02-19-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-20-11, 09:26 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Op i think you will need to do your own research because your thread will start the 1jz /2jz war please search and you will find all the answer you need to know.
There is 1jz VS 2JZ thread just go thru the whole thread and i know you will be able to make up your mind from the info you will find.
GL
Old 02-21-11, 01:40 AM
gijohnnyb
Driver

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
Is there a specific reason you want a gte motor ? For your power goal you're going to have to dump a ton of money into whatever motor you have. The stock twins are only good to about 350 before the impellers come apart. Then you have to decide if you want to go big single or slightly bigger than stock twins. Don't be lured into spend a lot of money for twins when they aren't going to take you where you want to go. There are plenty of people here making big power on the 2jz ge motor that comes in the car to begin with. Just food for thought.
My power goals are very modest. I am only looking for @400-500HP. Which is why I decided to go with the 1JZ and will do a single conversion.

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Op i think you will need to do your own research because your thread will start the 1jz /2jz war please search and you will find all the answer you need to know.
There is 1jz VS 2JZ thread just go thru the whole thread and i know you will be able to make up your mind from the info you will find.
GL
Like I said in my original post, I have a very slow internet connection. Its much easier for me to check one thread than to spend 15 minutes for each page to load. And this thread hasn't restarted anything, the debate will go until the end of time. My question though, had nothing to do with which motor to go with. I was asking which model of SC was easier to drop a motor into because I had heard that the 400 was more difficult.
Old 02-21-11, 02:18 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rocken out in the 'stan? keep your pimp hand strong on the hadgies bro.
Since your there ill try to make it easy for ya.
They got smog in Tn? If so smog first then get your hard earned bullet dodgen money ready.
Look for a nice black interior 97 Sc 300 5 speed. $9000+ if you can find one
get an AEM stand alone ECU $900
nice turbo maybe a 67mm so you wont lagggg too much $900-$1500
manifold & DP $300-$500
fuel rail, fuel pump, & injectors $500 or so
r154 $1000-$1500 maybe?
head gasket $150-$300
oil lines and misc parts. $300
get it tuned $300-$600
Done. not really. your never done. And there is prolly some crap I left out.
Good luck
Old 02-21-11, 02:25 AM
gijohnnyb
Driver

LOL No, there isn't any smog in TN. The car will actually be built in FL and I am already dead set on the 1J swap. I'm not too worried about going single right away unless there is cash remaining after everything is complete. My total budget including purchase of the car will be $10K. I prefer tan interior though. And I am sure I can find a SC300 for much less than $9K...I have found many for under $4K already. All that matters to me is the interior and no major body damage.

Oh, and don't fret. The pimp hand is strong with this one. He carries a SAW.
Old 02-21-11, 07:46 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Damn, thats pimp hand what a capital PIMP!