Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Masses of white smoke but not the headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 07:22 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Masses of white smoke but not the headgasket?

Alright I made a thread about a month ago about this, the car blows huge amounts of white smoke, which I presumed was the head gasket, on acceleration from a stop. Well I had the headgasket replaced, and nothing has changed, not a single symptom is gone. The idle is very low, 250-300rpm (Not the IACV, had it replaced), no overheating, no noticable decrease in proformance. It really smells like antifreeze but it's not the head gasket. The power steering also leaks a huge amount, could that be what's getting in to the intake manifold some how? it leaks a TON of ps fluid, and as the leak got worse, the smoke got worse and I know ATF is white smoke aswell.
Old 11-06-10, 08:09 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

random thoughts...

You are positive this isn't fuel (rich) related? Although, it seems it wouldn't run as "normally" as you say if it was.

You are positive this isn't a bad HG replacement job? STuff happens.

You are positive the smoke is only coming out of the tailpipe? Not steaming off exhaust pipe underneath or anything.

PS fluid combustion just sounds whack. Maybe you could pull the vacuum hose (to the PS) off the plenum and cap it there to verify nothing wonky is going on.

I doubt your car idles at 250-300rpms. Your tach must be off.
Old 11-06-10, 08:13 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

some people have had their PS valve on the hi pressure line leak into the vacuum line and into the plenum. Also check the coolant lines under the throttle body to see if those are leaking as well, had mine leaking a while back and car would misfire because coolant was leaking past the spark plugs.
Old 11-06-10, 08:38 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

I inspected the old headgasket and there was no cracks or breaks in it, it was very unsettling, not even any abnormalities.

Wouldn't it overheat if it was the headgasket? I drove the car 40 miles on the interstate at 70mph while it was smoking to the mechanic's and it didnt even get warm.
Old 11-06-10, 08:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

So you had a head gasket replaced over a little blowback on the PS fluid? Not only have I posted a thread about these symptoms and what they are, there have been a few more threads since then. You should have caught this long before having a head gasket changed out with the info that is already on the forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-one-out.html
Old 11-06-10, 08:48 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by attzor
I inspected the old headgasket and there was no cracks or breaks in it, it was very unsettling, not even any abnormalities.

Wouldn't it overheat if it was the headgasket? I drove the car 40 miles on the interstate at 70mph while it was smoking to the mechanic's and it didnt even get warm.
back up a sec...who diagnosed the head gasket in the first place? You or the mechanic? if a mechanic diagnosed it you better get on his *** for not fixing the problem the first time.
Old 11-06-10, 09:28 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
So you had a head gasket replaced over a little blowback on the PS fluid? Not only have I posted a thread about these symptoms and what they are, there have been a few more threads since then. You should have caught this long before having a head gasket changed out with the info that is already on the forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-one-out.html
I said I thought it was PS fluid being burned and everyone thought I was an idiot and said it was impossible. Either way I had a 1.4mm HG put in, so atleast I have the compression lowered for boost.
Old 11-06-10, 10:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Congrats, you wuz right. Give them the finger.
Old 11-07-10, 12:37 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by attzor
I said I thought it was PS fluid being burned and everyone thought I was an idiot and said it was impossible. Either way I had a 1.4mm HG put in, so at least I have the compression lowered for boost.
Uhmm....NO, not everyone. OLT's case was actually the one I was referring to in your last thread. (But I do feel bad for thinking it far more rare than it may be, as it turns out)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-steering.html

Anyway, glad you're on track now.

On a side note, how is it driving with reduced compression from the thicker HG?
Old 11-07-10, 07:29 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Uhmm....NO, not everyone. OLT's case was actually the one I was referring to in your last thread. (But I do feel bad for thinking it far more rare than it may be, as it turns out)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-steering.html

Anyway, glad you're on track now.

On a side note, how is it driving with reduced compression from the thicker HG?
Well for one, until he starts boosted he can run 87 octane
Old 11-07-10, 07:42 AM
menty
Lead Lap

Do you drive a turbo? Blown turbo?
Old 10-09-12, 05:09 PM
anthonytcl
Driver School Candidate

I am facing similar problem with my 1992. I recently lost power steering and the white smoke came in maybe a day or two later. At first my theory is the PS fluid leak and dripping onto some hot metal burning, the white smoke is a consequence. I finally had a chance to open the hood yesterday and try few more things and here is what I observed:

1) I see some fluid (I assume is PS fluid) toward the bottom of the engine tray.
2) I still do NOT have power steering, expected.
3) I have white smoke as soon as I start the engine (so i doubt about my original theory that the white smoke is causing by fluid leaking on to hot metal).
4) I do see the white smoke coming off the muffler pipe and also underneath the engine (perhaps more on the driver side if that helps)
5) The white smoke smelled horrible

My current theory is I am facing 2 separate problems, one might be the PS fluid leak and one maybe the head gasket. But i ask myself what is the chance that these problems occur within days?? Any suggestions?

P.S i do NOT have a turbo.

Thanks
Old 10-10-12, 06:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Simple..... if you're leaking it on the header fix your leak, if you're smoke is as discussed in this thread, which is being blown out the exhaust, you are blowing it back in the intake.