Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Some rambling, questions and need advice. Considering an EMS.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 01:08 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some rambling, questions and need advice. Considering an EMS.

Hey guys, need some input. Warning: LONG READ…lol.

First, for anyone not familiar with my setup:

95 Lexus SC400. Stock motor, original as far as I know. Haven't even had a valve cover off. Supercharged with a Vortech V-9 running about 12psi. MaftPro piggyback, NO MAF sensor, GM 3bar. 315 injectors. Water/Meth injection. Built transmission. Dragon convertor. Prothane bushings. Bell FMU. 4.27 rear end gears with Torsen LSD. Suprastick. EKT/IMF headers. Magnaflow x pipe and rear mufflers. Lots of other little odds and ends.

I have been very successful running with this setup. I have put I think about 60,000 miles on it (currently at 166,000ish miles) and have made 200-300 (lost count) 1/8 and ¼ mile track runs. Have been as low as 7.702 in the 1/8 and 12.047 in the ¼.

Haven’t really had anything but minor issues here and there.

Until, a month or so back I went to the dragstrip. Did what I normally do. Let the car cool down for about an hour before making the 1st run. Did a burnout and staged like normal. Took off at the line and right about the time I was hitting 6000rpm in first I lost all power.

I went back today and did not have any issues. Made three passes, 8.024, 8.027 and 8.031. Not my best but at least it ran and didn’t have any issues. Since I had the problem I have messed with a few things. I found that the pressure relief valve on my Walboro pump had failed and was ALWAYS dumping fuel. I plugged it with a screw. I adjusted my fuel pressure lower, it was too high and I thought maybe I was jamming the injectors. Tops out at about 80-85psi now. I put a new timing belt on (was about due anyway) and re-did some wiring in the engine bay. I found that one of my front o2 sensors was dead (always reading 0 volts) so I have unplugged all of them. I am currently running without any 02 sensors, using the MaftPro to control what would be “closed loop” fueling. Actually works pretty good.

So, maybe something I did fixed a problem, not sure. But, I can’t help thinking that I was hitting fuel cut due to maxing out the MAF signal to the ECU. I assume this is possible with the Lexus ECU since it is a known problem with the MK3 Supra ECU’s and the smaller KV MAFS that they use. In their case, they upgrade the injectors and use the Lexus MAF. Well, I obviously can’t do the same combo.

I have honestly been thinking about making the move to a stand alone for awhile now. Something that’s always been on my mind and something that I probably should have anyway. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if I have indeed exceeded the capacity of the stock ECU. I have had quite a few people tell me that I am pushing it. LOL.

But let’s assume that the stock ECU did not cause my power loss problem, I’d like some input on why I should upgrade to a stand alone anyhow. I already have fuel control although I will admit it can be a little inconsistent. It was even before the FPR for those who might say that it is the problem with consistency. I guess the biggest question would be: Would it do me any good to have control over the timing. Seems that most of the time, the point of having control of timing is to retard it to a safer level than the stock ECU would. But, since I’m running the stock ECU with the stock timing (in power mode even) and have been doing this for quite awhile with lots of abuse and I have not yet blown up the motor, is there any point for me to have control over it? Now, this is assuming that I am not knocking enough for the stock ECU to use its knock control strategy which I’m pretty sure is full retard. I suppose that’s what could have happened at the track when I had the power loss but I don’t think so. I had no fuel, my AFR gauge was pegged lean.

If I were to go standalone, what would you all suggest? How much standalone would I really need? My setup is pretty simple. It would be nice if it could control the water / meth but not really needed. I’m pretty sure that any decent system could control anythine / everything else I have going on.

Ok, that’s enough for now, sorry for such a long post. LOL. I will be happy to hear any and all GOOD suggestions.

Thanks,

KC
Old 11-03-10, 07:15 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can´t help you much but as an advice, if you buy a standalone, make sure it can control the auto trans. I know they are using AEM, Adaptronic, Haltech...I´m deciding which one to use too as I´m going the turbo route.
Old 11-03-10, 08:50 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Haltech E6X FWIW.
Old 11-03-10, 09:19 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But not an 1UZ with autobox...
Even though I think it´s that the one it works.
How is it to tune it?
Old 11-07-10, 07:50 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So at this point I think I'm gonna get myself and Adaptronic e420c. Scott, if you read this I am now kicking myself for not buying yours. LOL.

I've been talking with Rob Knox from Adaptronic, Neil from Rush Imports and been browsing other forums of people who use it and it sounds good. I have also downloaded the tuning software and the users manual, everything looks simple enough. I am confident that it will do everything I need it to do. Although, it will not control the transmission FYI, but I have a Suprastick so I don't need it to.

Here's a link for anyone who hasn't heard about Adaptronic - http://adaptronic.com.au/

And here is where I'll likely purchase it from, was refered here by Rob Knox of Adaptronic - http://www.boundaryengineering.com/drupal/node/14

KC