Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HKS, Magnaflow, or Megans exhaust - which gives best bang.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 02:41 PM
MySc4fever
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok family.
I've decided to prolong the full exhaust and just go with the mufflers for now.
Reason being, once i change the headers from having a stock motor to upgrading to a 2JZ, I will probably run a full "3" exhaust from the headers on back. (good advice family)

Because the swap will not be performed until Spring, i will wait to change anything else except the mufflers on the exhaust son that the stock motor can perform well during mt daily drives back and forth to work.

Which dual mufflers, should go with until then.????????????????????
Magnaflow, Tanabe, HKS(hi-flow) or Megans
What you guys think????????
Old 10-11-10, 06:48 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Megan fireballs are looking good, but I'm for magnaflow hands down when it comes to performance and sound.
Old 10-12-10, 06:07 PM
MySc4fever
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Megan fireballs are looking good, but I'm for magnaflow hands down when it comes to performance and sound.
I'm kinda feeling the sound Magnaflows give my self LEXXIUM...

I went to the local Exhaust shop today, and the tech recommended that I go from the main Cat out, with a "3" out to dual "2 1/2" Ypipe, then straight from there to the mufflers, eliminating the two resonators. Using dual straight pipes (i want to keep it dual), and two Magnaflow 14829's.

He said once i do the swap, I could then remove the cat and pipe straight thru to the headers, or get a High flow cat to keep it legal, (which i want to do), for the bigger down pipe on the 2JZ motor, when i do the upgrade.

Mufflers, and custom piping job was priced altogether at $675.00.......
What U think?
Old 10-15-10, 09:10 AM
MySc4fever
Driver

I wanna keep the exhaust dual. What mufflers should I roll with.

With a "3" in and 2 1/2 out ypipe, will that be big enough for a future 2jz motor? And is this price cool? Let me know family.
Old 10-15-10, 01:49 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would keep it stock, pass emissions test and then do the EXhaust after the swap.
Go pass the emission test 2 days before the swap so that you have 2 years in front of you, alteast that's what i did.
GL
Old 10-15-10, 09:43 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

If you go with 14829s they are about 240 for both mufflers, I was quoted 150-200 for labor from a center muffler back, youre talking about from center muffler back bypassing the 2 sencondary mufflers to magnaflows right?
Now if he does the X pipe after the cats and routes the piping all the way back to the magnaflows, I can see paying about 700 for that.
Best thing for you to do is buy the mufflers on internet and take them to the shop, and then ask them how much they would charge to do the job that you want that way you know exactly how much the labor vc price.
2.5" piping is plenty for a 4liter its going to sound very nice!
Thats my plan as well with 5" tips
Old 10-17-10, 08:17 AM
MySc4fever
Driver

Originally Posted by quickGS300
I would keep it stock, pass emissions test and then do the EXhaust after the swap.
Go pass the emission test 2 days before the swap so that you have 2 years in front of you, alteast that's what i did.
GL
Good suggestion bro....My local homie!!
Old 10-17-10, 08:30 AM
MySc4fever
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
If you go with 14829s they are about 240 for both mufflers, I was quoted 150-200 for labor from a center muffler back, youre talking about from center muffler back bypassing the 2 sencondary mufflers to magnaflows right?
Now if he does the X pipe after the cats and routes the piping all the way back to the magnaflows, I can see paying about 700 for that.
Best thing for you to do is buy the mufflers on internet and take them to the shop, and then ask them how much they would charge to do the job that you want that way you know exactly how much the labor vc price.
2.5" piping is plenty for a 4liter its going to sound very nice!
Thats my plan as well with 5" tips
Good advice. I think im gonna order the Magnaflows and do just that for a sure price of labor. Now. The whole new piping will start from right behind the main center Cat. From there a '3inch" inlet (y pipe not X pipe) then exited out the Ypipe to two (2 1/2) inch custom dual pipes, leading to the dual magnaflows.....I will have to wait to after the swap for the X-pipe, when the main Cat is removed. From my research, u cant use a X-pipe until the Main cat is removed correct..........on a 95 sc400......is that true?????
Old 10-17-10, 08:34 AM
MySc4fever
Driver

Anyone else have any opinions on the Mufflers. I havent heard from alot of people standing behind the HKS, Megan, or Tanabe.
up to this point, its Magnaflows at the top..............standing by.........
Old 10-17-10, 05:50 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MySc4fever
Anyone else have any opinions on the Mufflers. I havent heard from alot of people standing behind the HKS, Megan, or Tanabe.
up to this point, its Magnaflows at the top..............standing by.........
well its not that people are not standing by those brands, but you did say
"best bang for the buck" and obviously a muffler in the price range of 150-200 per will yeald better cost efficency vs. HKS,Blitz,5zigen etc in which there mufflers are in the 250-350 per range
Old 10-18-10, 09:31 AM
MySc4fever
Driver

Nuff said......magnaflow, best bang 4 the $$$$. Unless u wanna break the bank.
Old 10-18-10, 09:56 AM
MySc4fever
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
well its not that people are not standing by those brands, but you did say
"best bang for the buck" and obviously a muffler in the price range of 150-200 per will yeald better cost efficency vs. HKS,Blitz,5zigen etc in which there mufflers are in the 250-350 per range
I guess what you're saying is that magnaflows has the best muffler for the money which is cool. But do the other brands give u better (bang) than magnaflow? Or does it not matter the sound or brand, but what's under the hood..... Because I would pay a little extra for blitz, hks, etc.
If they really do give you more bang than magnaflow.

If it's no more than 5hp difference, from paying or 1db, I'll save the $$$ and go with mangnaflow. Why not.
Old 10-18-10, 11:21 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MySc4fever
I guess what you're saying is that magnaflows has the best muffler for the money which is cool. But do the other brands give u better (bang) than magnaflow? Or does it not matter the sound or brand, but what's under the hood..... Because I would pay a little extra for blitz, hks, etc.
If they really do give you more bang than magnaflow.

If it's no more than 5hp difference, from paying or 1db, I'll save the $$$ and go with mangnaflow. Why not.
to be honest it really personal preferance man, the differance in hp is very minimal and really varys depending on engine mods and exhaust routing and size. there are soo many options that I suggest you just go with what u really like. I personaly LOVE the Blitz Nur Spec dual exhaust and i will go with 3" piping and mabey a high flow cat but if might not even go with one.
Old 10-18-10, 12:32 PM
MySc4fever
Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
to be honest it really personal preferance man, the differance in hp is very minimal and really varys depending on engine mods and exhaust routing and size. there are soo many options that I suggest you just go with what u really like. I personaly LOVE the Blitz Nur Spec dual exhaust and i will go with 3" piping and mabey a high flow cat but if might not even go with one.
thanks man, that's what i thought.....b sure 2 post some pics when u get it done...