Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 clutch woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 04:43 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation W58 clutch woes

So the other day, after doing 1 burn out(it had been forever) and driving pretty aggressively basically throughout the day, something weird happened.

I was at a light and it turned green, I take off and I noticed that when engaging the clutch, it returned pretty slow, and didnt keep contact with my foot as it usually does, or should. It did this for 1st and 2nd as well as 3rd gear. Any ideas?

Thanks. If you need a better description let me know. to give you an image of what happened...imagine popping the clutch, and it returned really slowly, not quick as if spring loaded. Thanks again.

Ashtray-
Old 09-12-10, 04:56 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds stupid, but check your floor mat, it happened to me a few times where my mat got kicked forward towards the clutch pedal preventing it from returning smoothly
Old 09-12-10, 05:03 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

check your fluid, wile your at it flush it out with new fluid, you are either low, have air in the line, or have a leak. more then likely there isn't anything wrong with the clutch.
Old 09-12-10, 05:30 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

if all the above mentioned checks out, go under neath and look at the clutch through one of the rubber inspection ports on the tranny. If you see a lot of clutch material all over the place, there's your problem.
Old 09-12-10, 06:10 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClearP
I know this sounds stupid, but check your floor mat, it happened to me a few times where my mat got kicked forward towards the clutch pedal preventing it from returning smoothly
Not this. That was actually the first thing I did...visual inspection.

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
check your fluid, wile your at it flush it out with new fluid, you are either low, have air in the line, or have a leak. more then likely there isn't anything wrong with the clutch.
I doubt its a leak as I havent seen anything in the drive way, perhaps I am low. Where is the fluid for the clutch found?...as well as the line? and is it difficult to do this procedure? what type and brand of fluid are we talking about here? Thanks!

Originally Posted by StiCk3
if all the above mentioned checks out, go under neath and look at the clutch through one of the rubber inspection ports on the tranny. If you see a lot of clutch material all over the place, there's your problem.
What does clutch material look like? Thanks!
Old 09-12-10, 06:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have something similar and I think the solution is bleed the clutch.
If I let the car sit for a while sometimes the pedal doesn't return all the way and the point of engagement is alot closer to the floor than usual. driving 10 min usually fixes the problem.
It started happening to me right after I had the engine out. Im guessing I need to bleed it again.
Old 09-12-10, 06:46 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

the material is hard to miss, it's a black, fuzzy mix that you'll see on the inside of the tranny housing, on the pressure plate, etc. If you see that everywhere, its time for a clutch
Old 09-12-10, 07:20 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have something similar and I think the solution is bleed the clutch.
If I let the car sit for a while sometimes the pedal doesn't return all the way and the point of engagement is alot closer to the floor than usual. driving 10 min usually fixes the problem.
It started happening to me right after I had the engine out. Im guessing I need to bleed it again.
I know what you mean by the point of engagement being closer to the floor, usually warming up the car takes that away.

Originally Posted by StiCk3
the material is hard to miss, it's a black, fuzzy mix that you'll see on the inside of the tranny housing, on the pressure plate, etc. If you see that everywhere, its time for a clutch
No way can it be time for a new clutch man...Mine is very new, no older than a year and a half at MOST! I know I drive hard but its a stock 2JZ...nothing that an OE clutch cant handle at its max NA form.

P.S. just took the car for a cruise, the pedal didnt do it. It acted fine. We'll see how she acts tomorrow after my 20 minute commute to school. I'll also check the lines and fluid if anyone can show me where in the bay this is found. Thanks.
Old 09-13-10, 08:30 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Right next to your brake booster on the drivers side. looks like a tall slanted reservoir.