Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Noob questions about going turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 10:32 AM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob questions about going turbo

If I was to go turbo what would be the easier/cheaper way fo doing so?

Doing a 2jzgte swap or NA-T. Since I have a 97 IF I was to the the Swap Would I need engine and tranny or would the current tranny be fine?

I got this info already from another thread.

Originally Posted by jdmJZA70
You can very well peice a quality NA-T kit on ur own. Do this.
-buy used quality turbo, depending on brand/size $500-100
-eGay turbo mani, proven to hold up just fine $100
-440-550cc injectors from JDM/USDM 2jz-gte,get resistor if going usdm 550's $100-200
-wastegate, get a good used QUALITY one like the tial 44mm, if you get a bootleg WG and the springs doesnt open the wastegate, engine will go BOOM $200-300
-downpipe/midpipe/exhaust/eGay intercooler w/piping $200-600 or custom
-fuel controller, i suggest SAFC-2, proven to get the job done. $150-200
-oil feed/return line $100-200
-intake $50-100
-other gaskets/misc parts, lets just say $200
-safc2 tune $300 or free if you can do it urself
-clutch kit to hold the power down, give or take $500
-TT Denso fuel pump $100

Grand Total: $2000-2500

Anything I should add to that?
Old 05-14-10, 10:56 AM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Just found some good info from another site. http://www.floridasupras.com/mechani...swap-na-t.html

NA-T

ADVANTAGES
The biggest plus to the NA-T method is that you already have the engine, and spare ones can be found for a few hundred dollars. There are plenty of ways to go about the NA-T conversion ranging from piecing together your own kit, or buying an off-the-shelf kit.
The non-vvti 2JZGE motor with a thicker headgasket to lower the compression ratio can easily handle 700+ rwhp. The bottom end is near identical to the the 2JZGTE motor with a few minor differences.
For a few thousand dollars, you can piece together your own single turbo kit and choosing your favorite components
The installation of a turbo kit on the 2JZGE is straight forward and can be done in a few days.

DISADVANTAGES

The 2JZGE has a distributor that can get in the way with larger turbos. Some of the turbo manifolds are worse than others, but most of them can be rewelded to clear the distributor.
Lets face it, the NA intake manifold is ugly. it site on top of the engine and will hide that sexy turbo you just spend thousands of dollars on. There are some TT style manifolds surfacing however which can greatly improve the looks of your engine bay.
The stock compression is 10:1 which limits the amount of boost you can run. The safe limit is 7-8psi, but a thicker headgasket will drop the ratio to a more boost friendly level.
The stock fuel is limited by the 330cc injectors, however u can install 440cc injectors and upgrade to a LS400 MAF relatively cheaply.

My main question is whats the difference in psi can I push with a all the stuff mentioned in the first post and just stock na-t

Last edited by SOLID300; 05-14-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-14-10, 06:15 PM
Slo300
Rookie

Sounds like your already on an awesome start and i'm right behind you on this thread. I'll be turboing my SC and considering buying a low miles GE just to build and leave my motor in the garage incase i blow it.

I've already owned 1 turbo car so i have a general idea of what needs to be done. 3 things you don't wanna skimp out in cost are = Turbo, oil lines, Fuel. Anyone can part together a cheap turbo kit. but reliability is what you want when going big. Good Luck bro i'm still learning myself!
Old 05-14-10, 08:22 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ALL of your question can be answered here:

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=10

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=2765

While a little of the info you posted above is right on, you will have more questions that arise with the more research you do..

and actually the 3 things you dont skimp out on are turbo, wastegate, fuel/engine management..ebay oil line kits work just fine, and used MK3 440cc or even RX7 injectors can be had in good condition for cheap..

There are plenty of na-t SC's making well over 400rwhp with minimal effort (to answer your question on the thicker headgasket), and I myself am planning on 500+ as soon as I get around to doing my R154 swap.
Old 05-14-10, 10:10 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SOLID300

Anything I should add to that?
Time, research, and (oh yeah) inevitably. . . more money!
Old 05-15-10, 02:06 PM
Slo300
Rookie

Originally Posted by turbodremz
There are plenty of na-t SC's making well over 400rwhp with minimal effort (to answer your question on the thicker headgasket), and I myself am planning on 500+ as soon as I get around to doing my R154 swap.
I'm wanting to get 600+ on low boost. around 8-900 on high.

I plan to run a T88 or whatever size i need to do so. I'm just wondering if i need to go GTE to do this.
Old 05-15-10, 06:50 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Slo300
I'm wanting to get 600+ on low boost. around 8-900 on high.

I plan to run a T88 or whatever size i need to do so. I'm just wondering if i need to go GTE to do this.
you dont need a GTE, but it could possibly simplify the process..but be ready to rebuild the GTE for those kinds of numbers..with that in mind, Im estimating the cost range between $8-12k...hope you got some deep pockets, cause thats just the start to be on the safe side.
Old 05-16-10, 08:21 AM
Slo300
Rookie

You keep saying GTE, Well anyhow i was always told starting with a stronger turbo motoro was better from the beginning. I've found a couple motors on ebay, I'm guessing soarer motors. 2jz-gte single turbo with 5 speed tranny for around 2500. I know starting with this motor would be better platform.

What does 2jz-GTTE have that the GTE doesn't? yes, i know twins vs single.
Old 05-16-10, 08:39 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

You keep saying GTE, ...

The designation is: 2JZGE (NA from the factory) and 2JZGTE (twin turbo from factory). Either it's twin turbo'd or it's not, people going for more power with often change the twins on a GTE motor to a bigger single, but you can do the same to the GE motor too.
Old 05-16-10, 10:43 AM
Slo300
Rookie

Originally Posted by good2go

The designation is: 2JZGE (NA from the factory) and 2JZGTE (twin turbo from factory). Either it's twin turbo'd or it's not, people going for more power with often change the twins on a GTE motor to a bigger single, but you can do the same to the GE motor too.
I've got this much figured out. Heres my reasoning ATM in a nutshell, In the shortest form i can explain.

My motor needs rebuilt, I know the GTE has oil squiters diffrent intake and some other things. I've asked on diffrent threads what parts can you use from a GTE to rebuild a GE. I usually get no answers. So, I've got enough money to go with a straight 2jz-gte 5 speed swap. These are my 2 options -

1. Go ahead and turbo the 2jz-ge and rebuild the motor this winter. Still being an Automatic car, i kinda enjoy the auto atm. However i've heard they don't hold up to long to the power i wanna put down.

2. Buy the 2jz-GTE swap it in and run stock everything and slowly mod it. The motor doesn't need rebuilt and i'm starting with a stronger platform. However like everyone has mentioned the GE is pretty good to begin with so i'm just trying to start with the best baseline.

This is not a DD but, a weekend warrior - My goal is just a Highway Beast! Originally stated i'm looking for 600 on low boost and 8-900 on high. I know turbo's and how waste gates etc work. The motor is the only thing i'm inexperienced with Thanks all for the help!
Old 05-16-10, 02:49 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

You keep saying GTE, Well anyhow i was always told starting with a stronger turbo motoro was better from the beginning. I've found a couple motors on ebay, I'm guessing soarer motors. 2jz-gte single turbo with 5 speed tranny for around 2500. I know starting with this motor would be better platform.

this tells me your not doing enough research...there is NO such thing as a 2JZ-GTTE...its simply a 2JZ-GTE(twin turbo 2JZ) or a 2JZ-GE(non turbo 2JZ)