Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 starter - here goes :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 06:12 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SC400 starter - here goes :(

OK guys, I bought an SC400 that has been sitting for a while. Towed it back to the house as there were some steering column issues. Took care of those and went to start the car. Single click. Tried jumping at the starter relay and it does the same single click. Can turn the motor at the crank so I know it isn't seized. Any ideas before I get tearing into the starter?

New battery. Single click... Was thinking maybe something to do with the ignition/security because I had the whole steering column out but wasn't for sure... Any ideas?

Jonny
Old 03-07-10, 06:17 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

could possibly be the immobilizer..
Old 03-08-10, 02:10 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

disconnect the battery for 30 secs, then connect it and unlock your doors from outside. Then try to start the car again.
Old 03-08-10, 05:54 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
could possibly be the immobilizer..
When the immobilizer takes effect, does it click or does just nothing happen? I always thought it would make nothing happen as opposed to let it click??

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
disconnect the battery for 30 secs, then connect it and unlock your doors from outside. Then try to start the car again.
I will try this tonight. Thanks guys,
Jonny
Old 03-08-10, 06:19 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Well, after reading the write up on Lextreme it looks like the starter is the culprit after all... unfortunately. Does anyone have the part number for the SC400 starter rebuild kit?

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 03-08-10, 04:11 PM
schase
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if u got to change the starter
then take pics of taking it off
lil write up
Old 03-08-10, 04:41 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Oh no...man I feel bad for you. I know all the trouble you went through to get the car and such. Which reminds me, have you made any progress? I'm deathly afraid my starter will die on me. I don't have like 700$ to fix that = /

I'd attempt it myself but I just failed miserably at changing shocks so I'm going to avoid this at all costs. Best of luck to you!
Old 03-08-10, 04:43 PM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
Well, after reading the write up on Lextreme it looks like the starter is the culprit after all... unfortunately. Does anyone have the part number for the SC400 starter rebuild kit?

Thanks,
Jonny
before u change that hard to get as starter. i found out that sometimes it could be ur alarm. if u go to the passenger door stick the key in to unlock it then go to the driver door nd do the same thing then get in the car to start it. if it doesnt start up its the starter, i replaced my starter for now reason wen i had that problem but hell had to do it someday
Old 03-08-10, 05:15 PM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

ya sounds like you have the starter click of death, that sucks man. have fun getting that thing out! I did mine not too long ago and I had a lift when I did it plus all the fancy tools and it still took me 4 hours. as far as the rebuild kit, just go to the dealer and get them to pull up the diagram of the starter, you need the two contacts and the plunger. the contacts will come with the new bolts and everything. thats pretty much all you need. good luck! oh and be super careful with that egr pipe, dont bend it any farther then you have to because chances are it WILL crack.
Old 03-08-10, 07:59 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

I bought a membership in ALL DATA for my SC400. It has a step by step procedure for replacing the starter. YOU NEED THAT!

The worst part of the entire deal was getting the starter mounting bolts back in from the rear of the engine between the firewal. A total royal nightmare. It take two mechs 4 hours at the dealership and they HATE the job. They put my name up on the wall with a gold star because I did it alone and that isn't supposed to be possible.

My fix was to drill out the threads from the new starter. Then I installed long cap bolts with the allen head. With the starter out I could easily slip the bolts thru the rear plate and into the starter location. Being long I could start the bolts into the starter by hand. I secured it with a flat and lock washer and nut just like millions of starters. Using the high speed butterfly impact air wrench the bolts didn't even need held to tighten.

HTH

John
Old 03-09-10, 06:36 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
Oh no...man I feel bad for you. I know all the trouble you went through to get the car and such. Which reminds me, have you made any progress? I'm deathly afraid my starter will die on me. I don't have like 700$ to fix that = /

I'd attempt it myself but I just failed miserably at changing shocks so I'm going to avoid this at all costs. Best of luck to you!
This is actually a different car. I will PM you with the latest on the other ordeal.

Originally Posted by CSSC400STL
before u change that hard to get as starter. i found out that sometimes it could be ur alarm. if u go to the passenger door stick the key in to unlock it then go to the driver door nd do the same thing then get in the car to start it. if it doesnt start up its the starter, i replaced my starter for now reason wen i had that problem but hell had to do it someday
But if it was the alarm would I get a single click or nothing at all? From what I understand, an alarm issue would mean there would be nothing when I turned the key. I get a click from the starter...

Originally Posted by fleishelja
ya sounds like you have the starter click of death, that sucks man. have fun getting that thing out! I did mine not too long ago and I had a lift when I did it plus all the fancy tools and it still took me 4 hours. as far as the rebuild kit, just go to the dealer and get them to pull up the diagram of the starter, you need the two contacts and the plunger. the contacts will come with the new bolts and everything. thats pretty much all you need. good luck! oh and be super careful with that egr pipe, dont bend it any farther then you have to because chances are it WILL crack.
Thanks for the advice man. Duly noted

Originally Posted by JohnEd
I bought a membership in ALL DATA for my SC400. It has a step by step procedure for replacing the starter. YOU NEED THAT!

The worst part of the entire deal was getting the starter mounting bolts back in from the rear of the engine between the firewal. A total royal nightmare. It take two mechs 4 hours at the dealership and they HATE the job. They put my name up on the wall with a gold star because I did it alone and that isn't supposed to be possible.

My fix was to drill out the threads from the new starter. Then I installed long cap bolts with the allen head. With the starter out I could easily slip the bolts thru the rear plate and into the starter location. Being long I could start the bolts into the starter by hand. I secured it with a flat and lock washer and nut just like millions of starters. Using the high speed butterfly impact air wrench the bolts didn't even need held to tighten.

HTH

John

John,

I actually have Alldata so it should help. I also have a badass mechanic (LexusFTW) who I have complete faith in. If anyone can do it, my boy can

I had never heard of that problem with the mounting bolts.. hmmm

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I will keep this post handy. Regards,

Jonny
Old 03-09-10, 07:02 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the worst part of this was the rear water pipe that runs over the starter, along wit the harness thats connected to it and the EGR pipe.
Old 03-09-10, 10:07 AM
CSSC400STL
Pole Position

well i thought the same thing that if it was my alarm it wouldnt click at all. but wen i started on taken my engine apart to get to it i realized how muc of a ***** it was to get around that egr pipe and every thing. but i finally got it out put the new one in got the old one tested nd the mechanic said it was still good so i was pissed but like i said it was goin to go out some day so glad i did change it
Old 03-09-10, 11:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CSSC400STL
well i thought the same thing that if it was my alarm it wouldnt click at all. but wen i started on taken my engine apart to get to it i realized how muc of a ***** it was to get around that egr pipe and every thing. but i finally got it out put the new one in got the old one tested nd the mechanic said it was still good so i was pissed but like i said it was goin to go out some day so glad i did change it
So yours did a starter click?

Jonny
Old 03-09-10, 12:35 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry guys, trying to figure this out. Apparently the drivers door lock is damaged so I can't use the key in the drivers door...

Does jumping the starter relay not bypass the alarm on the car that would stop the motor from starting?

So basically how can you tell if the factory alarm is stopping a car from starting if you can't put the key in the drivers door to reset alarm?

Thanks,
Jonny

Last edited by Dx3; 03-09-10 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: SC400 starter - here goes :(