Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Difference in buying a motor from different shops

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 08:10 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Difference in buying a motor from different shops

So just wondering, why exactly get it from JHOT? JHOT 1jzgte r154 is around 2k while other stores have it for about 1.5k maybe even a little lower than that.

Does the engine from JHOT come in a better condition? What is so great about JHOT?
If so don't you have to do maintenance anyways?
Would the other stores be a better buy? Using the extra money to rebuild your engine?
Is it better to buy a front soarer clip OR is it better to buy the engine+transmission only? I've seen some online stores that sell the front clip for nearly the same price as engine+transmission alone.

Sorry if its kinda of a stupid question but i just wanted to know.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-10, 08:53 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz soarer 5 speed

you really need to be careful who you buy from , most are listed as toyota soarer 1jzgte 5 speeds, and many are not, but their are differences between a toyota soarer 1z, 1j from supra with r154, 1jz r154 from chasers.. mark II and the list goes on,

if you buy a front clip sometimes they give you the drive shaft if you ask, all depends on the importer, a complete front clip gives you the smalller powersteering resevior, and extra engine mounts and almost anything you will need, coolant lines and all, engine and tranny set you usually need to source out everything you dont have, ive done lots of swaps and i can tell you spent the extra money and get a clip , sometimes you get a good climate control unit ...

if you get a series 2 1jzgte from a toyota soarer the wiring should be almost plug and play. you can extend the harness if you choose or drill a closer hole in the firewall to send the harness through. if the 1j is from something else wiring will need to be done, soarer wiring is different from the supra, which is different from the chaser, thats why most people have a hard time wiring, you need to find the right diagram to start with,

a true soarer 1jzgte is a REAR SUMP engine,
A soarer R154 5 speed transmission has the tripod shifter,
thats how you can idealy tell , if the transmission does not have the tripod shifter then you will need to purchase the parts to make it so, just make sure you get the ignitor and map sensor,

FOR EXAMPLE
rear sump with short r154 is a ma70 supra
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-1...Q5fAccessories

- front sump and short transmission shifter, probably a chaser jzx90,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...Q5fAccessories

- front sump but with the tripod shifter , i think its a mark 2 chaser jzx100... but again listed as soarer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USED-...Q5fAccessories

- rear sump , tripod shifter from a 98-99 SOARER - and it sthe single turbo vvti, same motor that im putting in my sc right now, i havent confirmed yet but if its like the non vvti 1jz, if its from a soarer no wiring needed, just extend or make a new hole in the firewall, almost plug and play,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...Q5fAccessories

- jzx110 chaser front sump , tripod shifter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by mptjimmy; 02-18-10 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 09:47 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow thanks mptjimmy! I never knew that about the 1jzgte.

BigGreen I hope you don't mind if i use your picture

That is a rear sump correct, without the tripod shifter?
So that is not a TRUE soarer 1jzgte r154?

If i were to get it from JHOT or through you mptjimmy they would be a TRUE soarer 1jzgte?
Old 02-17-10, 09:58 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

actually it is a earlier 1jz soarer motor, so yea, forgot about the shifter, the earlier 1jz's had the extended longer shifter, and the newer r154's were the tripod shifter, so either is okay, the ma70 supra r154's have a straighter shifter kinda like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by mptjimmy; 02-18-10 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 11:19 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just call jhot and ask them for a soarer 1J...they tell you exactly what it came from.

And yes, the quality of JHOT'S motor are better than other places...its worth the little bit extra to get a better product and better service.
Old 02-18-10, 02:47 AM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

good service and better quality is always a plus,
Old 02-18-10, 11:32 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to make sure. So if we were to do the swap into our SCs we need a REAR SUMP motorset? I was doing some research and I coulda sworn I read that we needed a FRONT SUMP for the SC's. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Can someone explain the two. Whats the difference between front sumps and rear sumps? Would it be possible to throw in a front sump motorset into something that was design for a rear sump?

Last edited by 6SOARER; 02-18-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 11:53 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We need a rear sump oil pan. If you look in the picture above, you can see the black lower oil pan on the pallet. That one is rear sump.
Old 02-18-10, 06:32 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

Front sumps will fit a 240sx , and chaser and cressidas and such,
Old 02-18-10, 07:14 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
Just to make sure. So if we were to do the swap into our SCs we need a REAR SUMP motorset? I was doing some research and I coulda sworn I read that we needed a FRONT SUMP for the SC's. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Can someone explain the two. Whats the difference between front sumps and rear sumps? Would it be possible to throw in a front sump motorset into something that was design for a rear sump?
no you need a rear sump for the SC. The oil pan is located there because front crossmember passes in front of it. A front sump oil pan would hit this making it impossible to fit unless you change to a rear sump setup, meaning oil pickup, upper, and lower oil pans.
Old 02-18-10, 09:11 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always take your sc300 oil pan and use that. I did but you need a oil drain port for the turbo.