Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Screeching noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 10:00 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching noise

Okay I know I've posted something like this before talking about the screeching noise on my 94 SC300. But I have noticed something different about it now. Before, I only heard this high-pitched screeching noise when I first started my car on a cold-start (and some times on warm-starts) and turned the wheel when coming out of a parking space. But now, I've noticed that the screeching noise happens REALLY BAD when I have my fog lights/low beams on. I have two 55w HID kits, 1 for my fogs/1 for my low beams. It is weird though, when I have the headlights off, there is little to no screeching noise. If you hear anything with the headlights off, it is very faint, but with them on it is so annoying and loud. I've also noticed that if I cut the wheel all the way trying to get out of a tight parking spot or something it does it too, no matter if the headlights/fogs are on or off. I was thinking it could possibly be the alternator, because the past 2 owners have told me that they had some serious problems with it, and BOTH past owners have replaced the alternator on 2 separate occasions, so now I'm stuck with the problem. So should I look into replacing the alternator? I've gotten the battery and alternator tested before they both tested great. How much does a performance alternator cost? I don't know too much about alternators, but I do know a good bit about batteries. Any help? Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-10, 10:38 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

does the noise get louder as u rev the engine?
Old 01-20-10, 12:37 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eliteskill
does the noise get louder as u rev the engine?
YES!!!!! Yes it does! It is SO ANNOYING!!!!!! What do you think it is?
Old 01-20-10, 12:45 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Serpentine belt aka accessory belt needs to be replaced. Also check the belt tensioner.
Old 01-20-10, 12:57 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

I've heard that before about the belt needing to be changed. I can do that, but I just think it is weird how it makes the noise WAY more louder when I have my headlights on. I would of thought it would be the alternator screeching or something. I've looked at the belt on the front of the motor (2JZ-GE) right near the yellowish fan/radiator and the belt looks fine, still tight and not worn at all.
Old 01-20-10, 05:36 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SUPRMSC
Serpentine belt aka accessory belt needs to be replaced. Also check the belt tensioner.
^
yep i was going say the same thing after you replyed "YESS!" =P
Old 01-20-10, 05:53 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rooticon
I've heard that before about the belt needing to be changed. I can do that, but I just think it is weird how it makes the noise WAY more louder when I have my headlights on. I would of thought it would be the alternator screeching or something. I've looked at the belt on the front of the motor (2JZ-GE) right near the yellowish fan/radiator and the belt looks fine, still tight and not worn at all.
when u turn the headlights on guess what rpm goes down then back up higher, hence belt spinning faster = louder noise..
Old 01-20-10, 05:57 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

OH!!! Makes sense now lol. Thanks. I'll definitely look at this soon. I just needed to know why it made this noise lol.
Old 01-20-10, 06:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Hooker in the trunk?
Old 01-20-10, 06:09 PM
Confusion
Rookie

I think I have the same problem, and the belt looks fine so what else do I do?
Old 01-20-10, 06:45 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Confusion
I think I have the same problem, and the belt looks fine so what else do I do?

By the way, just because the belt looks okay, doesn't mean it is. Remember that fluids or material deterioration on the belt face can cause this issue.

In science, one can assume in theory, but must test and prove in practice.
Old 01-20-10, 06:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

This is really not rocket science. There are only 2 kinda of squeals.... bearing or belt. When you load the system electrically and it gets louder, it's the belt slipping on the alternator as the system tries to draw more amps. It doesn't have to be a bad tensioner, the armature in the alt can be worn enough to drag.
Old 01-20-10, 07:03 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

very very simple test..... turn on ur car .... get a spray bottle with water... open your hood.. spray water on the belt... does the sound stop???

then its ur belt or the accessorys (alternator/powersteering/waterpump) its attached too... they could be misaligned or worn!
Old 02-03-10, 05:45 PM
Confusion
Rookie

Originally Posted by eliteskill
very very simple test..... turn on ur car .... get a spray bottle with water... open your hood.. spray water on the belt... does the sound stop???

then its ur belt or the accessorys (alternator/powersteering/waterpump) its attached too... they could be misaligned or worn!
I'll try this