Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone ever installed headers on a vvti sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 07:30 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever installed headers on a vvti sc400?

I just purchased a set of headers from a group buy of $399, only 5 sets available! I've read a thread on someone who's installed these onto a 95 sc400, which was a PITA. Now I'm wondering if the vvti 1uz off of the sc400 would be similar. From looking under the hood it looks pretty spacious, so I'm wonder if I maybe lucky to have gotten a vvti to install these headers. Any responses would be highly appreciated.
Old 11-23-09, 09:02 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The install is going to be pretty much the same. I don't see how any different will it be.

But yeah, I'd be interested to see if anyone has installed it on 98+.
Old 11-24-09, 08:30 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the hard part like on a lot of under hood work is, having the right tools. If you have all the tools and you are able to get to everything with them, you should be in good shape. I know on some V8's (don't know about lexus) you need to lift/support the engine and remove a motor mount to be able to pull the manifold out.
Old 11-24-09, 11:22 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

I was thinking about purchasing these in the group buy as well for my '99. But didnt due to the lack of knowledge people have in modding the vvt-i 1uz's..
So I'm really interested in how this goes for you, defiantly need to keep us posted!
Old 11-24-09, 12:48 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I was thinking about purchasing these in the group buy as well for my '99. But didnt due to the lack of knowledge people have in modding the vvt-i 1uz's..
So I'm really interested in how this goes for you, defiantly need to keep us posted!
I heard with vvti you'll see more increase in hp. I'm hoping at least 25whp.
Old 11-24-09, 01:59 PM
IMF
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scfou
I just purchased a set of headers from a group buy of $399, only 5 sets available! I've read a thread on someone who's installed these onto a 95 sc400, which was a PITA. Now I'm wondering if the vvti 1uz off of the sc400 would be similar. From looking under the hood it looks pretty spacious, so I'm wonder if I maybe lucky to have gotten a vvti to install these headers. Any responses would be highly appreciated.
The only thing that is different on the 99 model is that the stock manifolds are a little different but spacing and clearance is all the same. You shouldn't have any issues.
Old 11-24-09, 10:52 PM
bcsc400
Pole Position

It looks like it's up to you scfou.
Please keep us updated on the install.
Old 11-24-09, 10:54 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

i know 98+ sc300 header upgrade is probably useless because 92-97 without vvti has smaller headers. I not sure about 400s tho..
Old 11-25-09, 01:38 AM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

i'm hoping they do...because I'm always real picky with ideas about my vvti just because for some reason there is so little info...please let us know

I would like to get some headers if it provides something more than just being lighter weight than normal lol
Old 11-26-09, 01:52 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The install is going to be a bit painful, especially due to clearances and fitment to the rest of the exhaust. What headers did you buy? I assume they were made for the 1UZ motor? There are a few available now for the 1UZ. As far as I know, the headers made for the UZ will fit the heads, but will require exhaust modification unless they are made for the SC400 vvti specifically. So, you may have to address the mating of the headers to the cats, and the rest of your exhaust, unless you are changing that as well. There are threads on this on CL. John Brady worked alot on assisting the community with properly built headers for the 1UZ. Do an search and you should find this information. I also belive there are a few threads on CL done by guys that added headers to their vvti 1UZ SC400's. You might search that as well.

BTW, pulling the stock headers off is a PITA. Like mentioned, you will probably want to loosen you motor mounts so you can jack up the motor a little to gain a bit more room. First make sure you address fitment to the rest of the stock exhaust system.....

Good luck.

Ryan
Old 11-26-09, 02:06 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

I had the IMF headers installed without removing the motor mounts or lifting the engine up. I would assume the install would be similar as the blocks are essentially the same between vvti and non vvti, only difference being in the head area.
Old 11-26-09, 08:34 AM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexAnt
I had the IMF headers installed without removing the motor mounts or lifting the engine up. I would assume the install would be similar as the blocks are essentially the same between vvti and non vvti, only difference being in the head area.
Lexant, I know you are in san francisco right? I've seen your car before, the silver sc with body kit and yellow hid fogs. Whas sup? I thought you had a 300. But anyway, so you are saying that you installed the headers from underneath the car right? What exactly did you have to remove down there and how much time did it take you?
Old 11-26-09, 11:07 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

I had the use of a lift to do it. It's all possible then without removing a whole lot. I'd recommend removing the rear front subframe, the one that has 3 large bolts to the chassis and connects the rear mount of the lower control arm. It's a pretty involved process as you'd have to remove little tidbits here and there, which in itself isn't hard, but putting them back in can be somewhat time consuming, such as the oil dipstick pipe.

If you feel like you can't do it, you can talk to Limitless Motorsports in San Bruno, they were the ones who installed the headers into my car. It took them about a day and a half...

Yea I'm in SF, so silver SC with bodykit and CF is me. I have a friend who has the same exact color combo, year SC3 5spd without the CF but 97+ stuff.
Old 11-26-09, 04:27 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexAnt
I had the use of a lift to do it. It's all possible then without removing a whole lot. I'd recommend removing the rear front subframe, the one that has 3 large bolts to the chassis and connects the rear mount of the lower control arm. It's a pretty involved process as you'd have to remove little tidbits here and there, which in itself isn't hard, but putting them back in can be somewhat time consuming, such as the oil dipstick pipe.

If you feel like you can't do it, you can talk to Limitless Motorsports in San Bruno, they were the ones who installed the headers into my car. It took them about a day and a half...

Yea I'm in SF, so silver SC with bodykit and CF is me. I have a friend who has the same exact color combo, year SC3 5spd without the CF but 97+ stuff.
That means there were a total of 3 sc's that look the same, because mine was a 95 sc3, same color, same kit, but mine had no front vertex bumper. I was driving on 280n one time and saw your sik *** lex coming down pretty fast. Then I saw you again on 19th and noriega st one day and you had turned on your yellow hid fogs, Lol.. That was you right? But anyhow, how much did the performance shop charge you in San Bruno? If it's reasonable I might just have them do the work instead of myself. I had to jump on the IMF headers for $399. Can you believe that price? IMF is so far so good! The guy is great and already shipped out the headers to me. This is how I like to do business. Now I just hope I can get an extra 25-30rwhp because I'm actually thinking about not relocating the cats. However, when smog time comes, I will fit the cats back on temperarily.
Old 11-26-09, 04:33 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

25 crank hp is a dream...let alone wheel hp. I have a full exhaust system with long tube header design that guarantees maximum torque and power...yet I feel no such thing. Don't get me wrong, I do feel a slight improvement...just not 25hp kind of improvement.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever installed headers on a vvti sc400?