Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Close to impossible to safely get the PS solenoid filter out in SC400 !

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 09:02 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Close to impossible to safely get the PS solenoid filter out in SC400 !

Ok, Ive posted in another thread, Ive read many hours worth of threads.
Guys change their solenoid filter, but, most of them have the rack and pinion out for servicing while doing it.
OR, they are in the LS400's which seem to have more room.
I have followed threads instructions and IF you leave the rack in place, there is NO WAY to get a wrench on the thin nut of the solenoid without grabbing the solenoid and potentially damaging it.
I have tried several times to "tap"/"pound" with a screwdriver the corner of the nut, (w/WD-40) hoping to get it loose. The only think I accomplish is destroying the very soft metal the thread is made of.
Does anyone know of an independent Lexus mechanic in Orange County Calif that has actually removed the solenoid , "while the rack is in the car" ?
Otherwise, I am taking it to Lexus and having them give it a go.....
I have attached a link that summarizes one persons success, but , I suspect its not an SC400 .

Addendum: How long will it take to pull the rack ?

In this thread, Sherm removed the rack to replace the solenoid.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...e-whining.html

Last edited by Lexicon1; 09-20-09 at 05:36 PM. Reason: elaboration
Old 09-21-09, 08:23 AM
Neucorp
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried once with it on the car...never got it. There is not enough room. I even loosened all the bolts and let the rack hang down a little...no go. I would guess it would take less than an hour to pull the rack completely.
Old 09-21-09, 08:21 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Thanks for your input

Thanks Newcorp
After studying it and making a few fruitless attempts, I can not remove it without damaging it.
If there is a workaround, I dont seem to be able to figure it out.
Old 10-04-09, 03:30 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Here is what my "permanent" resolution is......

Ok, I was the one whining about my PS pump "groaning".
After a thorough search on the topic, I decided I would go with plan B (remove rack and clean solenoid screen) AFTER I went with plan A.
There was a member that installed a Magnefine PS filter and switched to Synthetic PS fluid and his groaning went away.
This was my plan A.
Originally, I had throughly flushed my PS with new Valvoline ATF Dex fluid, thoroughly bled the system "by the book" and found that there was a small groaning sound making tight turns or into or out of a parking space. This was my wife's complaint.
I "assumed" that after one week of driving and my bleeding the system that it was not air in the system. (the PS level was OK and there was no foaming).
I figured it was a plugged solenoid screen. !997 12 yr old car !! I have turkey basted out the contents of the PS canister and replenished it about once per 2 yrs for the last 5 yrs.
Today I flushed the system and used Synthetic Mobil 1 ATF and installed a Magnefine PS/ATF filter 3/8" size.
I bled the system (as before) and , at this point, I do not hear any abnormal groan or whine.
I will have my wife drive it in the morning , will check then.
OK, was it the filter that helped, ...not likely, was it the lower foaming properties of the synthetic ATF fluid ????
For now, I am happy that I dont have to remove that rack to access the screen. By the way, the PS canister screen looked fairly clean with little apparent particles on it. So, my system was not filthy to begin with .
Just food for thought.
I will let you know if the groan returns tomorrow morning....in which case....its
Plan B.
For now...case closed and... I am installing filters on all my cars .

Addendum: I passed the "groan" test today.... PS is silent......

Last edited by Lexicon1; 10-05-09 at 06:56 PM.