Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

High performance CAMS from TTC performance for NA

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 11:10 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High performance CAMS from TTC performance for NA

hey guys last night i was on the net and i found what said were some high performance cams for either the na supra or sc300 (same thing to my knowledge)

I found them on Supraforums.com It says they are done by TTC Performance.

does anyone have any info regarding these Hi-po cams for our NAs

even any thought or input? i would love to go turbo but also would mind being "different" and have a pretty quick NA

cause im thinkin i might be able to make reasonable power gains with cams, headers, my current exhaust and an AFC

what do you guys think??? basically id like any technical/personal input regarding these before i spring the cash

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=516177

Last edited by sj408; 08-17-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-17-09, 10:12 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I run a set of the TTC 280 cams on my na-t. I'm the only one that I know of so far to run these specific spec'd cams. They work great and seam to hold the power band allot longer. Previously I ran stock cams and 67mm turbo. The car trapped 132@28psi. Now I am running a 76mm turbo and TTC 280 cams. The car now traps 132mph on 23psi pump gas + meth.

Unfortunately I do not have a dyno graph as I dont really care to dyno the car. The numbers wont reflect the actual power because of the TH400 trans and high stall converter.

Lawrence
Old 08-17-09, 10:47 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cowboy bebop is the owner or representative for ttc if i remember correctly. I know that there have only been a handful of the cams put out there, but never heard anything bad about them. I believe they were also benefitial as the stock distributor could remain inplace. But i don't think the cams were ever intended to be used on a naturally aspirated motor (despite being made for the sc300 and na supra) I'm not sure you would notice a significant gain in a non turbo engine and i can't imagine the work would be worth whatever gains you might be able to squeeze out of the whole deal. Sadly for na power there is really not that much you can do with the 2jzge without going extreme with an entire high rev internals build. People need to understand that our engines are amazing because of their potential when used in the field of turbocharging... I don't mean to be "That-Guy" ha.. but if you want na power go get a v8. If not than turbo charge the damn thing... or hell get a set of cams and throw em on you sc. Tell us how it works out, i'd be interested to hear about any gains. Best of luck.
Old 08-31-09, 09:50 PM
bigpanda16
Driver School Candidate

One thing, for that-guy there
wouldn't a slight increase in lift and some extra duration still help an n/a 2j?
like 10hp+ to the tires with supporting mods ie headers exhaust...
has anyone installed the ttc cams in an n/a and have some dyno charts?
is cowboy bebop selling these and claiming power levels wont increase on the moderate 268 cams install on n/a's?
i mean these things are fun at 185ish to the wheels, what about knocking on 200's door or more? i mean $800 is a lot of money, but look at it like this, its a good thing to have if you do decide to go na-t.
there are other bang for your buck mods to be done on a ge before this like aluminum driveshaft, lightweight flywheel, 1lb crank pulley, intake, trd thermo, etc
Old 08-31-09, 11:07 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well its not so much i dont fully understand the potential of a good turbo kit on our car but having all the supporting mods and then going turbo seems the best for me. i plan on having EVERYTHING on my car fixed up and then turbo it
Old 09-02-09, 07:14 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

if you wish to have a properly running na car with ttc cams you are looking at alot more than the price of the cams. You have to factor in the price of installation if you aren't doing it yourself.. and if you're tearing apart the head then you really oughta take a look at your valvetrain since most sc's are high mileage at this point. And then its just the game of "well its so easy to change now... and its only ANOTHER 5 bucks." After thats all done... to get the true benfit of a cam upgrade on a na... i would guess you should really get a proper tune. All these things mean $$, i'm not saying it won't work, i'm just saying that you might see similar results shaving weight than adding 8 hp, and the gains would all be on the top end, when your maxxed out rpm wise, which people with na cars like to have extra power.
Old 09-02-09, 02:12 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

I'd love to see someone put some cams, headers and tuning on an NA.
Old 09-03-09, 11:42 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

honestly, this is an idea I think of all the time, as my DD is a e36 M3, and my 2jzgte is dead in my driveway

i keep wanting to upgrade the M3, as its s52 powerplant 240hp/240ft-lbs, is not really that much more power than 225/225 of the 2jz-ge. the M3 needs full valvetrain to go to from 7,000 stock 8,000+rpm high power NA tune, the 2jz-GE would only need a under bucket shim conversion, and more compression. the M3 is 10.5:1 compression, the 2jz-GE is 10:1.

to gain power with a 280 deg cam, you would need COMPRESSION!!! and RPMS!

tuning NA inline 6, is just that.

Perhaps we can order the 11.3:1 compression pistons from the 2jz-FSE and use with 2jz-GE head and 280 dur cams, or 2jz-GTE head and GTE cams.

in the big picture, it would probably be more efficient to build costwise than a S52 with the same specs. Bmw parts are silly expensive, aftermarket cams for a S52 are ~$1100-1500 for a pair! the toyota valvetrain is superior due to solid lifters and direct cam on bucket actulation, the bmw is HLA and has weaker valve parts, stock vs stock.

the bmw oil pump's are known to have issues, the 2jz-gte oil pump is ok with boost over 8k stock. same with waterpump, toyota wins hands down, all day long.

what can i put a crazy 2jz NA into.....

from autospeed; aus publication

The 3-litre 2JZ-FSE uses the same direct injection principle as the smaller 1JZ version but runs an even higher 11.3:1 compression ratio. This engine matches the conventional VVT-i 2JZ-GE with 162kW and 294Nm. The 2JZ-FSE is fitted to certain 1999 Crown models and the 2001 Brevis and Progres.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-T...0/article.html

NA is300 header could be sourced, or we could build one to mimic a BMW I-6 motorsports

I have a full 2jz-GE longmotor in the garage, and came across this in a magazine: